Future visa reqirement

johnfromnorfolk - 2016-07-09 5:06 PM

Met a few Australians while traveling in Croatia.

As non E.U. citizens they had to apply to the E.U. for a Visa prior to leaving Australia.

Apparently their visa was only valid for 90 days.

After Brexit I suppose its possible we will also be required to apply for a visa.

I don't recall applying for a visa for touring Europe before we were in the EU - so I shouldn't think we will need one in the future.

( But - who knows - Just one more thing that we don't know about the effects of Brexit )

;-)

Hi John, I think my first post lost it's way in cyberspace so I will post for a second time. I suspect the Australians you spoke to were "taking the P" as Australians do not require an entry visa to EU countries. I am currently in Italy and on arrival at Rome Airport my passport was reviewed by Customs but not stamped. I do not have a visa for any EU country. Prior to the EU I vaguely remember we did for Spain. Interestingly we do need a visa for China however we can enter Hong Kong with no visa - strange one that! Post EU I suspect you will be treated in a similar fashion to us. Colonials! Cheers,

Geeco - 2016-07-09 5:30 PM

Post EU I suspect you will be treated in a similar fashion to us. Colonials! Cheers,

If the Remain campaign had merely hinted that we'd be treated like - gulp - Ozzies, they'd have won a landslide victory. :D

Just found this on the Your Europe website

if you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,

which was issued within the previous 10 years,

and possibly a visa. Apply for a visa from the consulate or embassy of the country you are visiting. If your visa is from a "Schengen area" country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa. You may need a national visa to visit non-Schengen countries.

Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket. For the precise requirements contact the local consular services of the EU country in question.

What have you been doing geeeco

johnfromnorfolk - 2016-07-09 6:12 PM

Just found this on the Your Europe website

if you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,

which was issued within the previous 10 years,

and possibly a visa.

/QUOTE]

Further down the ' Your Europe ' website is a list of countries that do NOT require a visa - and Australia is one of them.

;-)

Guest pelmetman

Considering the EU is incapable of removing illegal migrants from Europe *-) ..........Why are they going to start insisting Brits have a visa? :-| ..........and how are they going to know you stayed within the EU for more than 90 days? ;-) ........

Besides the way things are going, I suspect in two years time there wont be an EU for us to leave >:-) ..........

Hi John, I was always of the opinion we could stay a max of 12 months so maybe the people you met were getting close to that time. We have been playing tourist  as we do almost every year somewhere in Uk/Europe to escape the winter at home. We missed last year as we had purchased our AT Tracker and wanted to spend time using it around AU. This trip we have covered so far 4000klms in Italy in a Fiat 500L. We have been motorhome spotting on the way around. The new Laika's look good but not available in AU. Cheers,

It's the classic case of "nobody knows".

We haven't negotiated with any of the 100+ sovereign nations around the world for 43 years and have no civil servants with such experience, other than those presently employed by the eu themselves.

If we invoke article 50 now we will be taken to the cleaners as innocents abroad.

The projections are that the extra bureaucrats needed to run the expanded civil service will cost about £350m a week.

I think one has to recognise that there is a difference between the EU and the Schengen counties. Even Brits are only allowed to enter the Schengen group of countries for 90 days as a tourist, and then should register with the local police. Of course none do this, but it is in the rules. The other rule is that if you stay in any country more than 180 days iin any 1 year, you are then 'resident' and should register for taxation etc. Again, how many do you know doing this?

Britain has visa free arrangements with many countries around the world and as stated we did not need one prior to joining the Common Market, as it was then called. It is not in anyone's interest to re- introduce this for the UK unless we start to become known as a 'home for terrorists'. Then safety first prevails.

People talk about free movement and issues. There will still be free movement, there has always been for tourists, however moving to work will be under new rules. That may or may not be a good idea depending on your point of view.

Sorry for the delay in posting as I have been on the road all day. I checked the entries in my passport and the U.K entry stamp states I have a max of 6 months stay. The stamps for Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria & Netherlands have no comment re stay times. Cheers,

candapack - 2016-07-10 2:59 AM
Geeco - 2016-07-09 5:30 PMPost EU I suspect you will be treated in a similar fashion to us. Colonials! Cheers,
If the Remain campaign had merely hinted that we'd be treated like - gulp - Ozzies, they'd have won a landslide victory. :D
Thanks for that Chris - not sure it deserves a response!

Archived