Eldiss Motorhomes - quality

Keith T

Hi,

We had a 2014 Elddis Majestic 105 Prestige We only kept it a short time as the build quality was dreadful, warped doors badly finished interior fittings and loads more. We just could not live with all the faults A great shame as the layout was well thought out but I would never buy another Elddis. If you go ahead and buy one check it out carefully before parting with your hard earned cash. We were spoilt as previously we had an Auto Sleeper Warwick van conversion, build quality brilliant. Worst part about a van conversion is the large sliding door very cold if using the van in bad weather.

Frank

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frank Beevers - 2016-08-09 1:08 PM

Hi,

We had a 2014 Elddis Majestic 105 Prestige We only kept it a short time as the build quality was dreadful, warped doors badly finished interior fittings and loads more. We just could not live with all the faults A great shame as the layout was well thought out but I would never buy another Elddis. If you go ahead and buy one check it out carefully before parting with your hard earned cash. We were spoilt as previously we had an Auto Sleeper Warwick van conversion, build quality brilliant. Worst part about a van conversion is the large sliding door very cold if using the van in bad weather.

Frank

But wonderful in very hot weather with the rear doors open. Our Warwick XL has the combi 6 so can't see us ever being cold with that amount of grunt available in such a small space and runs on cheap Auto Gas into the bargain.

rambo63 - 2016-08-02 6:58 PM

Final insult from marquis mh been in for recall for tank heaters and for fault on front blinds. Recall done but mh reg a habitation battery due to high discharge of battery due to fault on tank heaters. This can be done under warranty but will have to contact elddis. Recommend not to use mh until battery fitted no date of fix. Thanx was going to scotland at weekend. marquis not willing to supply a battery until this sorted out . Thanks for lack of customer care.. final insult was on cab blinds . Explained that the blinds cant support there own weight they keep buckling . Was charged £37 for diagnosis for them to tell me yep theres a failt with them. They told me elddis don't pay for diagnosis customers have to pay . What a great warranty on a brand new mh. Hope to god they dont have to diagnose a major problem. Thank you Marquis and Elddis for your lack of customer care.

You are relying on the warranty. Rely instead on consumer legislation. The supplier does not have the right to charge you for investigating a fault, especially where they have acknowledged that the fault exists (though he may if, on investigation, there is no fault found).

Talk as soon as you can to Citizen's advice or Trading Standards, because I think you are being given the run around by the Marquis branch you are dealing with.

Marquis should disable the tank heater to eliminate the fault (by pulling the fuse?) pending a permanent solution (you are unlikely to need a tank heater in August, surely?), and should replace the damaged battery immediately since if the tank heater is disabled it cannot damage the replacement battery. They should also immediately reimburse you the £37 charged to date.

You say this was a recall, though you seem to be implying that the cab blinds were a fault you discovered. However, if both were a factory recall, any attempt to charge to verify that remedial work is, actually, required, is outrageous.

They have now wasted time, as a result of which you appear at risk of missing a planned trip. If you incur costs on the missed trip (booking fees etc) you should be entitled to reclaim these from Marquis under consumer legislation. They still have time to put things right in time for your trip, so make those telephone calls first thing tomorrow morning, and then read the Marquis branch manager his fortune!

Trip still on I purchased a aux battery. From another mh dealer fitted free off charge. . (Marquis waiting to get authorisation from elddis to fit battery as part of recall) so I will have a spare if they get ok to do it. As far has cab blinds go they not part of any recall so a diagnostic charge was made to me. Made a call to elddis as a complaint but still waiting for call back was told the department was closed for two weeks shut down holiday.

After trip to Scotland we have decided to part ex mh. Can guarantee next one will not be built by elddis or supplied by marquis.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your comments - these do seem to have ranged from very positive to totally unhappy owners, both in terms of the manufacturer and dealer, though more seem to have been unhappy with the Majestic dealers for varying reasons, which having tried to deal with them, I am not really surprised to read, although of course these may be isolated incidents

Of the motorhomes we have owned over the years, we had 2 AutoSleepers, one Compass, and a Rapido then finally (so far) a Burstner.

NONE have been trouble free, and to be fair I cannot single any one out as being best, bearing in mind that we had less use out of the AS models (about two years each), the Compass and Rapido were around 7 years and 5 years respectively then the Burstner is now up to 9 years of ownership. ! We have however kept all of them fully serviced on a regular basis, and if anything untoward has occurred, had that immediately remedied, whether under warranty or by having to pay for it.

Overall, we have been pleased with the dealers (except the Compass, and the owner of that business is no longer trading). but I think it pays to build up a good workable relationship with the service Managers, and ensure both you and they know what to expect in terms of dealing with each other.

If any contributors have other comments on the original question I raised, I would be more than pleased to hear from them....we have not yet decided the best way forward- or indeed whether to simply keep the Burstner for another year or two!!

Hi

Just to add my comments, I notice in your original post you mentioned you may look at a van conversion and prefer single beds. The Rhythm does provide that layout but it has a compressor fridge, if you always use hook up then no problem, but for off grid use you would be limited to a couple of days use. We have a Devon Aztec conversion which has 2 single beds as a choice but has a three way fridge so meets our requirements for off grid use. Another company to look at is Wild Ax, they do a single bed layout, I think the model is called Touring, based on a Renault, slightly longer than the Aztec at just over 6M..

Doug

trigrem - 2016-08-29 5:14 PM

The Rhythm does provide that layout but it has a compressor fridge, if you always use hook up then no problem, but for off grid use you would be limited to a couple of days use. We have a Devon Aztec conversion which has 2 single beds as a choice but has a three way fridge so meets our requirements for off grid use. ..

Doug

Not being aware of the value of a Compressor Fridge anyway, I was also not aware that these were fitted to the Rhythm. What is the advantage of them, as on the few occasions we have not been on EHUs we find using the fridge on gas is fine, and actually consumes very little anyway. If stopped to an hour or two at hypermarkets we also use it on gas? Do they give as much usable space as the same sized 'body' of the standard three way, and are they as efficient, especially when using the freezer compartment, which we rely on regularly.

Do they operate on battery only, in which case do they kill the batteries if left on, say overnight on a ferry??

There’s a good deal of on-line discussion about compressor fridges versus 3-way fridges in motorhomes

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=compressor+fridge+vs+3+way

A primary attraction of a compressor fridge for a panel-van-conversion designer is that the appliance does not require any external ventilation (hence no big holes need to be cut in the PVC’s pretty metal body-panels) and there’s no rigid gas-supply pipework to think about. Placement within the motorhome is easier and compressor fridges are generally a good deal cheaper than their 3-way equivalents.

The potential downside of a compressor fridge for the motorhome user is the drain it places on the leisure battery (and the noise, perhaps). As you regularly use EHUs, the power-drain should not present problems, though it would be wise to ensure that you have plenty of good-quality battery capacity to cope with those occasions when you aren’t able to recharge the leisure battery for a while.

We bought our sunseeker (auto quest 115) dealer special from West country motorhome in May 2015.

we have had five new vans over 35 years and the last three were auto sleepers, this little Elddis has been the one with the least problems and all very minor ones at that, the last auto sleeper Lancashire spent the first nine month being driven from Birmingham to Tewksbury and back. never again.

We may have dropped lucky quality wise after the last van I feel we were due some luck 8-)

We are very pleased we did think of buying a Neuavo but the £150000 price difference made me question the difference and there are some differences but some for the better and some for the worse but nothing that I can't live with comfortably.

Pete

We bought our sunseeker (auto quest 115) dealer special from West country motorhome in May 2015.

we have had five new vans over 35 years and the last three were auto sleepers, this little Elddis has been the one with the least problems and all very minor ones at that, the last auto sleeper Lancashire spent the first nine month being driven from Birmingham to Tewksbury and back. never again.

We may have dropped lucky quality wise after the last van I feel we were due some luck 8-)

We are very pleased we did think of buying a Neuavo but the £150000 price difference made me question the difference and there are some differences but some for the better and some for the worse but nothing that I can't live with comfortably.

Pete

breakaleg - 2016-08-30 3:22 PM

We are very pleased we did think of buying a Neuavo but the £150000 price difference made me question the difference .

Pete

I suspect (and hope!!) the difference was £15000 and not as quoted!!

Yes I think AS are very over-priced now, and so often many of them (and other makes)have every possible addition, where the more simple option is not available. Personally, having looked at the Majestic version of the Elddis (Accordo) I am more than happy to add an awning and upgrade the chassis - and certainly happy to use WCMH, as we bought the last AS from them,(Symbol c 2000) with which there were indeed a number of issues resolved both via them with the assistance of AS themselves.

yes fifteen thousand (what's an extra nought between friends lol)

being a dealer special it came with most of what I wanted and somethings I wouldn't wish for.

the things I would have liked.

window in door,window in shower room, bigger engine 110 bhp and no option to enlarge, but that's about it.

Pete

• 2 years later...
Brian Kirby - 2016-08-09 7:13 PM

You are relying on the warranty. Rely instead on consumer legislation. The supplier does not have the right to charge you for investigating a fault, especially where they have acknowledged that the fault exists (though he may if, on investigation, there is no fault found).

Talk as soon as you can to Citizen's advice or Trading Standards, because I think you are being given the run around by the Marquis branch you are dealing with.

I was thinking along these lines myself, Brian. mainly because a private agreement/contract, whether commercial or not, cannot alter rights given under law. Do you have any particular legislation in mind?

For example, Consumer Rights Act 2015.

We purchased a new Accordo 125 in April 2015 and are very satisfied with it. We have had a few minor problems such as an overheating domestic battery, false alarms from the burglar alarm & dimly lit warning lamps on the instrument panel. None of these were related to the build quality of the motorhome. I think that the Elddis Accordo 125 is very well designed & represents excellent value for money. Yes, the caravan bits of a Hymer or similar might be better quality (and much more expensive!) but the important bits like the white van underneath & most of the equipment might be the same. If Peugeot were to bring out a torque converter auto Boxer & Elddis built an Accordo 125 based on it I would buy another..

We had an Elddis 180 and had a few small niggles , nothing major though. The only thing I didn’t like was the Whale blown air heating. This was very noisy when operating compared to our current Truma unit.

The control panel was also a bit last century. The design didn’t seem as contemporary as continental motorhomes.

I guess dealers vary. We bought from West Country Motorhomes (we have used them 4 times now) and we have been very happy with their after sales support, prompt, friendly and helpful. And no I do not have any relationship with them except as a satisfied customer.

I am not sure why a 2016 thread has reopened but we have an Elddis and have not had any issues with Elddis support. We bought from a trusted local dealer who has excellent customer service. We avoided a local Marquis because of the staff attitude and a quick check online which raised issues. We went slightly further to Dolphin Motorhomes and the difference was so noticeable. Staff who cared and so we bought there and have not regretted it.

1951Pete - 2018-09-04 8:23 PM

I am not sure why a 2016 thread has reopened but we have an Elddis and have not had any issues with Elddis support. We bought from a trusted local dealer who has excellent customer service. We avoided a local Marquis because of the staff attitude and a quick check online which raised issues. We went slightly further to Dolphin Motorhomes and the difference was so noticeable. Staff who cared and so we bought there and have not regretted it.

Agree old thread!

I think you cannot compare one dealer with another. It depends on the particular branch!

We bought from Marquis, (who appear to get slated on this forum) Had no problems with our branch and sales team

. We are currently looking to buy another car, and going to the same dealer we have dealt with before, have found the current sales person , nowhere near as helpful and polite as the previous ones , and if this had been our first contact with this branch , could well have gone elsewhere, to purchase.

"So don't judge a book buy it's cover" as the saying goes!

PJay

PAJay - 2018-09-05 10:34 AM

1951Pete - 2018-09-04 8:23 PM

Agree old thread!

I think you cannot compare one dealer with another. It depends on the particular branch!

We bought from Marquis, (who appear to get slated on this forum) Had no problems with our branch and sales team

. We are currently looking to buy another car, and going to the same dealer we have dealt with before, have found the current sales person , nowhere near as helpful and polite as the previous ones , and if this had been our first contact with this branch , could well have gone elsewhere, to purchase.

"So don't judge a book buy it's cover" as the saying goes!

PJay

My above post includes dealings above branch level!

Ron

Archived