Eldiss Motorhomes - quality

Keith T

Hello from France (in our Elddis motorhome).

We have had our first motorhome for a year, a Majestic 115. The salesman at Marquis absolutely fitted the stereo type of a used car salesman, but underneath all the matey behaviour he gave us really sound advice. To the extent that they didn't have a van to suit our needs and his advice, so we had to wait.

Subsequently there has been one minor issue and one major one fixed with no problems at all. The major problem was with the Boxer dashboard and and although a common fault it was outside Peugeot warranty and they would not pay. Marquis were very good and paid under their warranty system without a quibble. The bill was was over £1000. So no problems with Marquis, may be we have a good branch. I realise that was their obligation but they made the process easy.

I think you have to see the Elddis for what it is, a budget van with a lot of goodies. It is pointless comparing it to a Hymer or Burstner. You are doing the equivilant of comparing a Hyundai with a Mercedes (we have both and beliuve me one is a lot better than the other!). Our view of the Elddis is that it was ideal for introducing us to motorhoming, becuase it allowed us to buy a relatively new model for a lot less than the more upmarket ones.

All the advice we received suggested after a few years you know exactly what you want in a motorhome, and so our plan is to get a Hymer/ Pilote/ Detleffs, probably and A class in a couple of years time. The Edlddis has allowed us to test the water with a reasonable spec level and modern Euro class engine and we are happy to keep it until then.

In our first year we used it for 58 nights and covered 6,000 miles so it has done very well for what it is.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Keith T - 2016-08-26 2:13 PM

Thanks for all your comments - these do seem to have ranged from very positive to totally unhappy owners, both in terms of the manufacturer and dealer, though more seem to have been unhappy with the Majestic dealers for varying reasons, which having tried to deal with them, I am not really surprised to read, although of course these may be isolated incidents

Of the motorhomes we have owned over the years, we had 2 AutoSleepers, one Compass, and a Rapido then finally (so far) a Burstner.

NONE have been trouble free, and to be fair I cannot single any one out as being best, bearing in mind that we had less use out of the AS models (about two years each), the Compass and Rapido were around 7 years and 5 years respectively then the Burstner is now up to 9 years of ownership. ! We have however kept all of them fully serviced on a regular basis, and if anything untoward has occurred, had that immediately remedied, whether under warranty or by having to pay for it.

Overall, we have been pleased with the dealers (except the Compass, and the owner of that business is no longer trading). but I think it pays to build up a good workable relationship with the service Managers, and ensure both you and they know what to expect in terms of dealing with each other.

If any contributors have other comments on the original question I raised, I would be more than pleased to hear from them....we have not yet decided the best way forward- or indeed whether to simply keep the Burstner for another year or two!!

You remind me of my ex tugger Dad ;-) .........

When we inherited ours from my wifes Dad he decided to get a camper........First was a Autosleeper PVC..... then a Autosleeper Coachbuilt.....then a Compass Coachbuilt......then a A class Pilotte........then he finally retired at 70 8-) and bought a Rapido A class ......followed by a Hymer A class and a villa in Spain :-| ......

Don't recall them ever using any of the moho's much *-) ........

Our 28 year old van still gets us to Spain for the winter .............and does what it says on the tin "Travelhome" B-) ...........

Archived