12v Accessory Socket - 2014 Ducato

arthur49

I have one accessory socket on the dash and one blanked off. I removed the blanking plug with the objective of adding another 12v socket so I can run dash cam and sat nav at same time - adapters don't appear to work!

The hole is 27/28mm diameter and there is a female connector already fitted which would appear to accept male spade terminals

I phoned local Fiat Professional dealer to order the appropriate socket but they had no idea what would/would not fit and anyway didn't appear interested.

I've had a trawl through EBay / Amazon but not too sure what to order

Anybody any ideas?

Rayjsj - 2016-08-17 10:31 PM

My 2014 Ducato has one cigarette lighter socket and one accessory socket side by side, both accept cigarette lighter type adaptors, the accessory socket has a lower fuse rating. They came as a standard fitting ? On my van anyway.

Mine came with cigarette lighter socket - which we use for satnav and the blanked off accessory socket space. My convertor must be miserly!

You must have another socket somewhere in van? How about having an extension lead to plug the sat nav in .Take it out when not driving! We put an extra 12v socket in our van , (not in the cab)

Our get an extension 12bv lead/plug, we have one that has 4 sockets on it, think it may have come from Maplins!

PJay

arthur49 - 2016-08-17 11:20 PM

Rayjsj - 2016-08-17 10:31 PM

My 2014 Ducato has one cigarette lighter socket and one accessory socket side by side, both accept cigarette lighter type adaptors, the accessory socket has a lower fuse rating. They came as a standard fitting ? On my van anyway.

Mine came with cigarette lighter socket - which we use for satnav and the blanked off accessory socket space. My convertor must be miserly!

Arthur

2014 was the year when the Ducato ‘X250’ model-range was superseded by the current Ducato ‘X290’ range, but I think your motorhome (Devon Aztec?) is an X250 variant.

According to the Owner Handbooks appropriate for 2014 Ducatos, X250 (and X290) models all have a ‘cigar-lighter’ dashboard-socket as standard. However, the Handbooks describe a ‘power-socket’ (located adjacent to the cigar-lighter) as being "(for versions/markets, where provided)”, So a power-socket is apparently not always present on a 2014 Ducato.

Although a 2014 Ducato X250’s power-socket is fused higher than its cigar-lighter (15A for the former; 10A for the latter) a 2014 Ducato X290 has a 15A fuse for both dashboard-located sockets.

It’s likely that the same power-socket is used in 2014 Ducato X250 and X290 models, so if you provide a Fiat Professional agent with your vehicle’s VIN-number it should be easy enough for them to obtain the correct part.

You’ve said that there’s a female connector under the blanking plug and referring to the fuses section of your Ducato Owner Handbook will tell you where the power-socket fuse is. It would be reasonable to assume that, if there’s no power-socket fuse currently present and you fit one, the female connector will become ‘live’ when your vehicle’s ignition is switched on - but I suggest you check that this is indeed so.

I don’t know whether a Ducato’s cigar-lighter and power sockets just push into the dashboard, or if there’s some sort of retention method that needs access to the dashboard’s underside. It would be wise to try to confirm with a Fiat Professional agent how the power-socket is held in place as, when I was planning to fit LED lighting for my Ducato X290’s hard-to-read instrument cluster, I originally intended to ‘piggy-back’ on one of the dashboard-socket’s 12V power supply but couldn’t work out how to do this without a fair amount of dashboard dismantling.

I note that you’ve said “...adapters don't appear to work!” but I would have thought that an adapter like this one

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/02g01-procar-lighter-type-adaptors/procar-twin-lighter-type-socket-adaptor-c0219/C0219

SHOULD work perfectly well and allow you to run a sat-nav and dash-cam simultaneously from the cigar-lighter socket.

Should you choose to ‘hard-wire’ the dash-cam, this earlier discussion (and the links within it) may help

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Wiring-dash-cam/41988/

...I believe in this area the X250 dash construction is identical to the X290.

On my X290, I had a 12V power socket and a cigarette-lighter output, but I have replaced the cigarette lighter with a dual USB socket.

So, following Derek's advice, first thing to check is whether the spare "feed" you've found is indeed live (it may only be when the ignition is on), and whether there is also a spare earth present (though you could probably piggy-back the earth of the other socket if required - I'd be wary of the current this might then be asked to carry).

It is also worth checking the size of the "spade" terminal supplied - I would expect it to be 6.3mm, but it may be the smaller 4.5mm.

The portion of the dash into which the unit(s) are mounted removes (carefully) by removing the single screw under the rubber mat in the round "ash-tray/trinket- holder" recess, and pulling up and forwards against (reasonably robust) plastic lugs. You need to take care not to pull too far, as obviously the bank of control switches is wired behind (though there is adequate spare movement).

You can then fit a relatively standard power socket from the front of the dash-part, and retain it with the screw-on collar behind. I personally think a flap to cover it is useful (given its position", and a "waterproof" unit such as this one on eBay (there are many others) should do the job.

http://tinyurl.com/dashsocket

arthur49 - 2016-08-17 8:59 PM......I phoned local Fiat Professional dealer to order the appropriate socket but they had no idea what would/would not fit and anyway didn't appear interested....

You would perhaps do better calling in to a Parts Department where, if it's not too busy and you ask nicely, they might look up the parts drawings, to see if you can simply buy a second plug-in module.

Archived