Steel wheels rusting

Campfos

Derek Uzzell - 2016-09-03 4:51 PM

As BGD advised in a 2008 forum discussion

"Don't touch alloys.

Stupidly expensive, often damaged when tyre changing, corrode like hell as soon as varnish starts to come off, easily cracked, easily nicked......basically just pouring money down the drain..."

Couldn't agree more with the views of BGD ....... but I must admit, alloys do look nice :-D

I like to keep my MH under the radar - steel wheels (maybe rusting but covered with wheel trims), the MH not overly sparkling clean and therefore less likely to get nicked or receive undue attention from the criminal underworld.

For me, a MH is for travelling to interesting places and sufficiently resilient to withstand all types of road conditions. Keep it simple and reap the rewards of travelling on reliable and easily replaceable steel wheels.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-09-03 9:42 AM

The rotor behaves as a centrifugal fan, drawing cool air from the inboard side, passing through the rotor passages and exhausting at the outer circumference.

True, but it isn't going to work so well at the lower speeds descending hills. The wheeltrim will restrict airflow, so I still have this image of overheating brakes and losing braking on a mountain pass. Perhaps because I can still remember the days before the Transport Act of 1967 (Goods Vehicle Plating and Testing) when lorry brakes overheating and going out of control on hills was an almost daily occurrence. Which puts the worry of surface rust on steel wheels into perspective *-)

The basic reason on the majority our sort of size vehicles that brakes overheat in mountainous areas is being in a hurry in too high a gear and even worse accelerating between hairpins. You are there for the views so what the rush.

On the over-run a diesel is still breathing just as much air but burning little or no fuel and the heat generated by compression get dumped into the cooling system and out of the exhaust pipe rather that lost through the braking system. Stay in a low gear and only use the brakes to keep downto a safe speed to deal with hazards.

Plastic wheel trims with lots of holes in them that do not seriously obstruct airflow are available.

I have just had the 70 year old steel wheels on my classic car sand blasted and powder coated so see it on towards its century. About an eighth of the price of a set of alloys.

Thanks for all the comments and views on this subject.

I did not want a motorhome wil alloy wheels hence one of the reasons I picked the one I did.

Also don't want to put on wheel trims as I don't like them. Having stainless steel wheels is not answer as from my own experience this can corrode as well, lots of pipe line failure on high pressure hydraulic systems due to them not being pacified correctly

In my opinion the reason they rust is the paint is coming of them as its down to the primer is various places.

You rub it to remove the road dirt and it comes off, this is nothing to do with where I live as years ago I had cars with steel wheels and they did not rust. This is really a poor quality control issue.

I can take them to the locally powder coaters who made a good job off my cars alloy wheels these were ten years old. I picked the company as they removed the tyres and chemically cleaned them before recoating.

No idea what they charge for steel wheels but will look into this. But then I think why should you put up with this standard of quality.

Campbell

Campfos - 2016-09-06 9:28 AM

In my opinion the reason they rust is the paint is coming of them as its down to the primer is various places.

You rub it to remove the road dirt and it comes off, this is nothing to do with where I live as years ago I had cars with steel wheels and they did not rust. This is really a poor quality control issue.

Campbell

As i've said all along this is the result of shoddy workmanship and cheap materials.

I would want them replaced by Fiat under warranty who will naturally wriggle out of it by claiming "natural wear and tear". That's well worth challenging as nobody should be experiencing this from a 22 month old vehicle.

Quite frankly i find it disgraceful.

Van was at the local Fiat professional place today mirror now change out and outside temperature read out working now. Expensive parts for such a simple repair.

Now they have taken pictures of the wheels and they have been sent off to Fiat.., so we wait to see if we get any response. Will keep you all in the loop when any news comes in.

Campfos - 2016-09-06 6:18 PM

Van was at the local Fiat professional place today mirror now change out and outside temperature read out working now. Expensive parts for such a simple repair.

Now they have taken pictures of the wheels and they have been sent off to Fiat.., so we wait to see if we get any response. Will keep you all in the loop when any news comes in.

I hope they do the decent thing and sort it out for you without any fuss.

If not then i'd slap detailed photos of your wheels on as many forums as possible.

Will86 - 2016-09-06 6:44 PM

BUT ... until Campbell says where in West Lothian he lives there can be no assumptions regarding his wheels rusting.

How close does he live to the river? That he chooses not to indicate may be the answer.

This is nothing to do with how close I live to the river forth think about 7 mile . Now as I said this is down to them not being painted correctly in the first place. I am an ex Marine Engineer with approx 40 years experience at sea so I think I know about salt atmosphere basically if you don't paint things right they rust.

Campfos - 2016-09-07 10:18 AM

if you don't paint things right they rust.

You don't need to be a marine engineer to know that.

A more expensive cleaning and multi coat paint job, together with spending more on packaging the wheels individually, transport, warehousing, tyre fitting*, and assembly line to avoid scratching the paint would probably keep the wheels rust free for longer. It must be possible to keep the paint pristine at a cost, and if it was a Rolls Royce I guess it would be. But could they put this increased cost on the price of the vans?

* I still don't know how to fit van tyres without risk of scratching the paint on the rims though.

• 1 month later...

Hi great post yes steel wheels rusting, I own a 1997 Fiat Ducato AutoRoller and just recently serviced it myself and while removing front wheels to change brake disc and brake pads, I noticed that the steel wheels and calipers were badly rusty and corroded. So i took the time to wash them, rub them down, and apply some Hammerite direct to rust metal paint and was impressed with the results.

Attached a few pics for you to see the results.

20161002_143540.jpg.afe61f10d3ed763849564fadd775e906.jpg

20161002_134002.jpg.d5356a5c047e4022988f25aae834a194.jpg

Fiat Ducato - 2016-10-07 7:21 PM

Hi great post yes steel wheels rusting, I own a 1997 Fiat Ducato AutoRoller and just recently serviced it myself and while removing front wheels to change brake disc and brake pads, I noticed that the steel wheels and calipers were badly rusty and corroded. So i took the time to wash them, rub them down, and apply some Hammerite direct to rust metal paint and was impressed with the results.

Attached a few pics for you to see the results.

Very nice finish Mr Ducato!!

The op's rusty wheels were on a 19 month old Camper though and yours is a 19 years old van.......BIG difference! His should not have rusted in such a short period of time.

I used lots of Hammerite when i used to "fiddle about" with old cars. I'd have Mini subframes sandblasted then spend days Hammeriting them! Also wheels and brake calipers. It's damned expensive paint now though.

• 5 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

Earlier this year , because of the rust on my previous 2008 ducato I took the wheels of my now 2year old ducato and after abit of preparation I brush painted the inside with red oxcide and the outside with silver from a rattle tin. Quality control with these items. I have yet to see a set of wheel trims that I find attractive.

norm

• 1 month later...

Better hope the anti-theft bolts and/or the socket will tolerate the recommended 180Nm tightening-torque.

When I owned a Ford Mk 6 Transit-based motorhome (wheel-nut torque 200Nm) I split two good-quality 21mm sockets tightening the nuts. Now use the type of socket intended for an impact driver.

(I notice that the ebay advert states that the bolts are for alloy wheels, but I assume they are also OK for the common-or-garden SEVEL steel ones.)

Archived