Engine warning light 2010 Fiat Ducato

grandadbaza

About 6 weeks ago I was coming home from a trip away and stopped at the local filling station to fill up for the next trip, after filling I stalled the engine and when I restarted it the engine warning light came on and would not go off, I drove home and the next day drove to the local garage and the did a check and it said it was an air pressure or some such thing and reset the ecu ,and charged me £50 for the privilege , everything has been fine since and I have done about 250 miles with no light , been in van today to move it and stalled it again and the light came back on , as anyone had this happen to them and is there anyway to reset it without paying £50 every time I stall it , not that I usually make a habit of stalling ,think those are the only two times I have stalled in 25000 mls in this van

Question, did you ACTUALLY stall it or did it stall of it's own accord?

If it stalled of it's own accord then it could be because of a fault and hence the warning light is coming on. You need to get the code read and diagnosed correctly rather than just 'switching off' the light by clearing the code.

Or the code and warning light could be as a result of you stalling it but I personally would have thought less likely.

Keith.

I've stalled my 3 litre Fiat Ducato a few times but never had a warning light.

Perhaps you ought to replace the engine earth strap and see if that resolves things. Halfords sell a 30cm earth strap for about £6.

Can't remember the name of the fault reader product that has been mentioned on this forum previously but others will know.

I stalled my 2014 Boxer coming out of a campsite in Portugal in March and the light came on.

Just lived with it until its 2nd year service in May. Mentioned it when booking and no problem since. No extra charge.

Stalled it once more since then, but no light.

Keithl - 2016-09-04 5:51 PM

Question, did you ACTUALLY stall it or did it stall of it's own accord?

If it stalled of it's own accord then it could be because of a fault and hence the warning light is coming on. You need to get the code read and diagnosed correctly rather than just 'switching off' the light by clearing the code.

Or the code and warning light could be as a result of you stalling it but I personally would have thought less likely.

Keith.

Thanks Keith , it was on both occasions my fault it did not stall on its own accord

• 1 year later...
I'd be interested to learn what specification of earth strap is required for the Fiat X250 130 Multijet, i.e. length and current carrying capacity. Following much advice to change the earth strap on my 'home I bought the Halfords strap referred to in this thread and my garage fell about laughing when I asked them to fit it - length may have been OK but current capacity totally inadequate, they said.

If you carry out a "Search the Forums". You will find a lot of info regarding earth straps

The general consensus seems to be clean / replace existing earth strap and add an additional strap.

I brought a fault OBDC reader off Amazon for about £25. There are a few listed, and the specs seem to improve and models change. Easy to use, it's getting over the shock / nerves of plugging it and switching it on ;-)

I have a fault that has occurred that seems to occur for no connected reason other than the code is the same. I clear the code and it might pop up again 4 months latter. It has happened, changing gear going up hill, switching on the headlights, switching off and restarting, switching the fog lights on. Except that there is a front fog light switch that is shown with an led, but as I have no front fog lights, leads me to wonder ?

Rgds

Hello.

When you switch off a diesel engine, a command is sent by the ECU that tells the fuel injectors to stop injecting fuel and effectively stall the engine with no drama. All other sensors and devices are shut down so that they can't report anything out of the ordinary and therefore everything goes to sleep in a controlled way.

If you stall the vehicle by means of insufficient revs for a given situation or by a dramatic clutch operation at low speed, this is not what you could call an orderly shutdown. The injectors were still injecting and the exhaust was expecting a certain combination of gasses, the throttle was open at a desired position and the air pressure in the inlet manifold was expected to be just so. It's hardly surprising that something might throw a wobbly. Most vehicles are quite forgiving but if something has been reported that the ECU has to suspect could be a threat to the emissions of the vehicle and it is regarded as something that the ECU can't reset on it's own - it needs to be checked then it will need plugging in to clear it if there is nothing wrong.

I imagine that you have a sensor that is a bit over-sensitive or an engine that is some way running at the limit of acceptable operation.

Nothing to worry about most probably.

A cheap plug in code reader would be a wise investment. If the device fails to clear a fault; it needs investigating further.

Nick

I have one of these and it worked OK on both a 2.3 Fiat and a 2.2 Peugeot OBD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006WG7KGS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From previous forum postings it seems that not all OBD fault readers work with all vans so be careful what you buy, but at least with Amazon you should be able to return or exchange it if it does not work.

Both vans had a tendency to stall and for the reasons Nick set out above the EML would come on. It didn't mean anything was wrong, it just took exception to being stalled and both were easily reset when convenient saving fifty quid a time.

I've not had vans before or since that were prone to stalling, usually in awkward locations, and whilst it may well have been the way I drove them it sure was irritating!

Cheap OBD readers should work with all diesel vans introduced since 2005 (a vehicle manufactured in 2005 but based on a model introduced earlier may not be compliant, but a vehicle based on a new model introduced after that date should be). However, they are often only capable of reading the engine ECU and understanding generic codes related to emission faults, which are standardised by legislation.

More expensive readers may have more features such as being capable of reading other ECUs on the vehicle and understanding manufacturer specific fault codes relating to those systems.

For a Fiat, you probably won't do better than MultiEcuScan, even professional multi-make readers costing several hundred pounds will struggle to match its capabilities, but you'd need to buy a licence to unlock all of its features. Simply for reading fault codes though, you could get by with the unregistered version if you have a laptop or tablet to install it on and the necessary connection cables.

For the simple task of reading and clearing fault codes the device I used was simple, needed no laptop or anything else complicated and it just worked, as in plug it in and use it!

Granted it is limited in it's use if you want to delve deeper into functions but for the simple tasks asked of it, it was fine and showed the fault code numbers in which the booklet that came with it explained what they meant.

I worked on the principle that if a fault code arose and was indicated by the EML coming on, identifying and clearing that code always worked for me, but if a fault code should ever have reoccurred without a specific cause - like stalling - or removing the battery - then a note of the code made investigation, rectification and cost prediction and control that bit easier.

TnT - 2018-02-25 5:20 PM

I'd be interested to learn what specification of earth strap is required for the Fiat X250 130 Multijet, i.e. length and current carrying capacity. Following much advice to change the earth strap on my 'home I bought the Halfords strap referred to in this thread and my garage fell about laughing when I asked them to fit it - length may have been OK but current capacity totally inadequate, they said.

Forum advice has usually been to have a ‘bespoke’ replacement earth strap made up from plastic-sheathed welding cable, with the finished strap being adequately long to allow for the engine/transmission to move about when the vehicle is being driven.

This type of strap can be purchased on-line (“truck earth straps”) but I don’t think a specific length of strap for a Ducato X250 MJ 130 has ever been advised here as the ideal length may vary. The 10mm diameter of the ‘eyes’ that generally seems to be quoted in on-line adverts may also be unnecessarily large.

See the posting of 21 February 2018 4:41 PM by Nick Fisher (euroserv) here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-starter-battery/48753/

Archived