Would it be worth it?

Gwendolyn

Our planned month long trip to Europe had to be abandoned for pressing reasons.

Now we have been given a green light, but the earliest we can cross is Sunday a.m. and we have to cross back to the UK on 27th. That gives us 9 nights. Plus topping up our (unused) Shuttle fare by £46.

It's either that or a UK break, as I am just really wanting to get away in the motorhome after our enforced stay at home, lovely though Pembrokeshire is. Well, we did get 8 nights away in North Wales last week, between other stuff - but it was not enough.

What would you do??? And how far would you venture from Calais??? Where would you go??? Ideas please..... as I am dithering like mad.

If crossing just for a week or so we tend to go to Holland or Belgium.

We are going to the Portsmouth area for 10 days next week....simply because it's one of the few places in the UK we haven't been to.

Last month we had 8 days in the Falkirk area.

The decision is yours 8-) :-D

Depends on what you want to do and see and also the weather later in the month.

Hour after hour of driving doesn't appeal these days and short hops are more our kind of thing.

With only nine nights I'd personally 'bounce' along the Northern coast stopping on Aires and see how far we got after four or five nights before making a decision to head back towards Calais.

Remember many Campsites will be closed and many have shut early this year because of poor visitor numbers.

For just £46, less whatever savings we would make on fuel, plus whatever the Peage cost if we chose to make our South / North travel, easier and quicker, we would be inclined to drive straight down to the Loire Valley then either work our way West towards the coast or East inland depending on the weather forecast when we get to the Loire. Depends on the weather!

Maybe I'm wrong but my perception is that the weather improves South of the Loire compared to North and whilst it is always a gamble this time of the year a wee bit of sunshine might just be worth chasing - within reason?

But then again we do like the Loire valley, and even taking out travel time we would enjoy a short break there although we accept that it is not everyone's ideal!!

Lots of beautiful Chateaux in the Loire Valley to see if it is wet too, although the gardens probably will not be so good now, but the old towns and villages will be quieter!

What you are suggesting is ... you just want to drive a few hundred miles to get over a problem, is that your usual remedy?

Why not Ireland or the tip of Scotland, I'm sure you could find some Gaelic speaking locals.

At this moment there is no clue to the weather where ever you go, and you are not going for enjoyment, more to solve a problem.

Anywhere past Calais and you've achieved your goal, great.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions. Was quite unaware that I am seeking to escape from a problem. Glad of that enlightenment! (Although not sure of what the problem consists!)

We were aware that some sites are closing early as I've read about that elsewhere, but with Aires available, that isn't such a concern, but worth the reminder, thanks.

We have thought of Belgium. And, yes, the Loire is good, but have toured there many times. On the other hand, we do like the town of Briare and promised ourselves a return there sometime.

My OH is saying 'just go for it'. I'm the ditherer. We need to be back on the 27th for a very pleasant event. And we are going to Spain in November until Christmas. It's just this short period ahead which is beckoning so invitingly.

The Aire at Briare used to be in two areas a few years ago, but I don't know about now?

If you got there early enough you were able to get into the level bit on hard tstanding right alongside the busy canal with lots to watch and very close to the town as well as lots of other well publicised walks or cycle routes along level towpaths.

Go on Gwen - go for it!!!!!!!!!!

I could suggest you stay at home and spend the time getting the garden totally tidied up ready for the winter.

Catch up on some of those jobs you have always been meaning to "get around to soon"

Then you can really relax and get away for your long winter stays with a totally clear conscience.

that would help you avoid the Calais jungle, and save the short term worry of where you might get stuck.

unhelpful..yes...but why can't i get away..not fair !!!!.

Have fun and enjoy it whatever you do.

Tony growl

Based on your constraints we'd probably head down to the Belgum Ardennes stopping on at Ghent on the way down and Bruge on the way back so that you are within striking distance of Calais to return the next day and avoid the migrants next morning. We use the aire in Bruge or a lower cost option there is one in Beernam a few miles further out.

She who dithers, loses....

Having got a bit distracted by other things today, I looked at the Eurotunnel website tonight and found that the fare differential between what we paid originally and the new price had shot up from £46 to over £100. So UK it is. I have let the Fates decide for me.

Thanks for all the input.

Taking the Brittany Ferries crossings was not an option as we just wanted to make use of our, so far, unused Tunnel ticket. Alas, I booked last November so the year is up before we will make use of it. Paid with Tesco vouchers so no big direct financial loss.

Tracker>>> we stayed on the new Aire at Braire, barrier controlled, 12 marked "pitches", each with water and electric. Went for an overnight stop, stayed 3. Lovely town.

Ile de Ré ... oh... that is where we would have gone to start our month's trip as we love it... and worked our way up through Brittany, which we also love.

Getting garden tidy etc... did all that during our enforced "staycation", ditto house chores - I have shifted piles of books to newly installed shelves in attic and catalogued them. That'll do!

Sorry if I have wasted your time, but I suppose the suggestions may be of use to others, and I have copied and pasted all this to my travel file for future reference.

Off Sunday morning. Van packed. Whither???? Dithering again. I'll let the Fates decide, again. Will probably determine once we escape from the Far West and hit the Severn Bridge.

Anglesey is so unspoilt, watch the Kite surfers at Rosneiger. Don't do what I do when I am there and spend all the time watching Fighter Jets taking off/landing at close by RAF Valley!!

Visit Treadeur Bay then go on to South Stacks Light House to see the RSPB sanctuary, Puffins, Seals (and go up the Light House!). You will feel so at home as the Coast line there reminds me of Pembrokeshire.

See the Bronze age remains of a village where the stone Hut circles are still clearly visible near the RSPB reserve.

Try Parys Mountain and see what was the biggest Copper Mine in the World hundreds of years ago. It's like an alien landscape with rocks Yellow, Green and Black. Sulphur, quite a faint smell in the air. Strange to imagine that Anglesey was a major economic force long ago because of the Copper, Sulphur and other minerals!!!

Go to Holyhead only for the Ferry to Ireland or to stock up on food, don't stay it's a Toile&.

There's Copper Kingdom, Bull Bay, Camaes Bay, Red Wharf Bay, Moelfre, Llangefni,

Anglesey even has it's own racing circuit.

Then there is Beaumaris, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (yes the sign at the railway station is huge), Menai Bridge (try Dylans Restaurant, upstairs only for views down the Menai Straits while you eat the locally caught seafood).

Stay at Tacla Taid historic vehicle museum campsite (Café for the museum on site so lovely breakfast).

See the National Trust house near Newborough Beach and the Beach itself is amazing. Not quite Pendine Sands, but it's ok.

If you get bored of Anglesey there is always the Llyn peninsula, Portmeirion, Portmadoc, Harlech, etc.

The Steam train ride up Snowden is expensive, but utterly amazing.

And don't forget that Llandudno has a Cable car ride, Dry Ski Slope and the famous Cresta Toboggan run but don't drive up to it!!! Park by the Pier and walk up, its Clutch Burnout steep.

As already stated have a great time where ever you go.

Gwendolyn - 2016-09-16 10:51 PM

Sorry if I have wasted your time, but I suppose the suggestions may be of use to others, and I have copied and pasted all this to my travel file for future reference.

Never time wasted Gwen, one can only make decisions based on information and any information posted on here is useful to someone.

All I can say is 'carpe diem' - sieze the moment for tomorrow it may not be available to you, and good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.

Archived