motorhome road tax?

fesspark

Personally I think we should pay VED based upon CO2 emissions (if that is the method chosen for VED in general) and cannot think of an argument against it. It would hurt somewhat of course but would surely be fair. Above all I would like to see the ridiculous PHG VED loophole firmly closed.

It's hard to argue that the addition of a motorhome body to a chassis-cab might improve its CO2 emissions and hence render them irrelevant, so let's 'man up', carry forward the manufacturer's stated CO2 emissions and pay the real rate for our inessential and indulgent hobby.

The Isle of Man leads the way; current IoM VED for a Peugeot Boxer Euro5 motorhome is £568 per annum.

Steve928 - 2016-10-18 6:33 PM

Personally I think we should pay VED based upon CO2 emissions (if that is the method chosen for VED in general) and cannot think of an argument against it. It would hurt somewhat of course but would surely be fair. Above all I would like to see the ridiculous PHG VED loophole firmly closed.

It's hard to argue that the addition of a motorhome body to a chassis-cab might improve its CO2 emissions and hence render them irrelevant,

That argument cannot hold up on PVCs though...

I don't know what the score is on Continental Road Tax.. The fairest way to my mind is to abolish it altogether, interesting the IOM is quoted, but Jersey has taken this option) and add an initial sum per litre of fuel, then it will be the most efficient engines, and the amount of miles you drive in any vehicle which is what you pay for....

Steve928 - 2016-10-18 6:33 PM

It's hard to argue that the addition of a motorhome body to a chassis-cab might improve its CO2 emissions and hence render them irrelevant,

That argument cannot hold up on PVCs though...

I don't know what the score is on Continental Road Tax.. The fairest way to my mind is to abolish it altogether, interesting the IOM is quoted, but Jersey has taken this option) and add an initial sum per litre of fuel, then it will be the most efficient engines, and the amount of miles you drive in any vehicle which is what you pay for....

Yes I agree completely, Keith, that abolishing VED and transferring the tax to fuel would be the fairest solution and, if starting from a clean sheet, would be the obvious path to follow. My point, however, is that while CO2- based VED is the norm then there is no reason that I can see why motorhome owners should expect an exemption.

Regarding PVCs I don't see your point I'm afraid; surely the CO2 emissions of the panel van base are known and could be used for VED purposes?

Steve928 - 2016-10-19 7:57 AM

Yes I agree completely, Keith, that abolishing VED and transferring the tax to fuel would be the fairest solution and, if starting from a clean sheet, would be the obvious path to follow. My point, however, is that while CO2- based VED is the norm then there is no reason that I can see why motorhome owners should expect an exemption.

Regarding PVCs I don't see your point I'm afraid; surely the CO2 emissions of the panel van base are known and could be used for VED purposes?

I think that depends on how much Coachwork is done to the standard PVC. My Autotrail V Line has a complete new fibreglass moulded roof, complete with Bulge for a panoramic roof light, Other models in the range also replace the rear doors with a fibreglass boot assembly. So, significant changes from a bread and butter delivery van, I think VED is an anacronism anyway, which helps to stifle sales. Far better to have the tax trickle in via extra fuel duty.Then no-one gets away with anything !

As for foreign truck drivers coming in with full extra large tanks...... stop them, and charge them duty on all extra fuel carried above say 30 gallons. That would sort that out !

fesspark - 2016-10-18 4:54 PM

Just read in the nov issue MMM,that the road tax is changing next april going up to around £450 to £515.oo a year. can anyone throw a light on this as I will not pay this amount on any vehicle?

Unfortunately Fesspark you will be obliged to pay the going rate. There is no option. Take it or leave it. That is the cost of modern life.

Will

^ this.

And I thought it was restricted to cars, as most campervan were registered as PLG, so subject to a different tax rate?

There have been issues where VW T5 conversions have been incorrectly registered with DVLA with their

co2 values and been taxed as quite highly polluting cars rather than a campervan but I thought that as long as campervan remain too be registered as PLG then tax is staying around £230

Steve928 - 2016-10-19 7:57 AM

The idea is good but...............

as with all things done by Governments they would add the tax to fuel and a few years down the line re-ntroduce a small extra tax for 'other things' such as road improvements and before you know it you are back at square 1 with road tax, and extra fuel duty. They cannot resisit relieving the public of money no matter how hard they try. So possibly best to stick with the road tax as it is and theyy have to hold back increases as they know it is obvious and Joe Public will protest.

Archived