Metric Imperial Conversions

Tracker

I am so glad I am not the only one who can not think in metric!1

i can cope with weights (just about) but I can not visualise centimeters. i have to ask OH how big is X cm in inches, which I can visualise. Gallons / Litres , well not really bothered , as just fill the car up.

The other thing I can not do is SUDOKU. I worked with figures all my working life, and my brain can not get the logic of the game, even though people have tried to explain it to me. Can't even manage the kids version!! Mind you I can still do mental sums, which I notice a lot of the younger generation , bought up with calculators can not do.

i do worry that future generations will not be able to think for them selves, with all the modern technical computers/phones etc.

PJay

This is another good conversion site that I have been using for years:-

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

What really bugs me is when large lengths are expressed in mm !

Remembering that 30cm is (approx) one foot helps. So 15cm is 6 inches etc ... and cargo trousers with a long pocket to keep a 12in ruler in so you can whip it out quickly and compare the metric / imperial scales :-D

Between 1968 @ 1974 Australia progressively converted from the English system to the SI Metric system. At the time I was working for a US Lubrication equipment company so I needed to convert US gallons to Imperial gallons then US gallons to litres ( after the liquids were changed to SI). I grew up through school with Imperial measurements so there was for me another measurement standard to come to grips with then. When the change in currency from the Pound to the dollar the conversion was £1 = $2, on my first pay day after the change I felt like I was finally being paid a good salary as it appeared as double what it was previously! It is a little like a foreign language if you use it often enough it becomes easier. Now I have no issues with both systems but as for Sudoko just forget it! Cheers,

Guest pelmetman

Just tried converting some groats into euro's :-( ........

Rich (Tracker) said they'd fine when he paid me for my mixer 8-) .....

pelmetman - 2016-10-21 9:21 AM

When we were in Morocco I was offered some camels in exchange for my wife but when I saw how tatty the camels were I too got the hump and declined to swap for my lovely wife.

Besides which Camels can't cook or make a cuppa or tell me that I am a lucky boy to have such a wonderful and modest wife!

PS The mixer is still working fine and has passed along through the family to my brother in law who has been giving it some good use before semi retiring it to his shed. If you need it back for what I paid you just say but I don't take Camels or Euros!

Tracker - 2016-10-21 8:09 PM

pelmetman - 2016-10-21 9:21 AM

When we were in Morocco I was offered some camels in exchange for my wife but when I saw how tatty the camels were I too got the hump and declined to swap for my lovely wife.

Besides which Camels can't cook or make a cuppa or tell me that I am a lucky boy to have such a wonderful and modest wife!

PS The mixer is still working fine and has passed along through the family to my brother in law who has been giving it some good use before semi retiring it to his shed. If you need it back for what I paid you just say but I don't take Camels or Euros!

How about Sue? B-)

Dave

Archived