Repairing Heated Rear Window Solder Connection

johnlc

My van has heated rear windows and, unfortunately the solder connection on one of them has come loose. I've taken it to my local auto-electrician who tells me that it is impossible to resolder HRWs because of the risk of heating up the glass. I've tried AutoGlass who only repair or replace windows, and would replace mine for nearly £450! I have read that conductive glue can reconnect some electrical things but suspect that is for very small parts.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get this fixed I would be grateful.

johnlc - 2016-11-02 7:36 PM

My van has heated rear windows and, unfortunately the solder connection on one of them has come loose. I've taken it to my local auto-electrician who tells me that it is impossible to resolder HRWs because of the risk of heating up the glass. I've tried AutoGlass who only repair or replace windows, and would replace mine for nearly £450! I have read that conductive glue can reconnect some electrical things but suspect that is for very small parts.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get this fixed I would be grateful.

Electrically Conductive Silver paint. For £9.99 it has gotta be worth a try...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/electrically-conductive-silver-paint-n36ba

It may need holding together while the paint dries but certainly cheaper than a new window.

Keith.

I have used the Paint before and it is good at repairing breaks in the 'strips' across the window, it might be strong enough to bond a Spade connector, which I assume is what has come loose here?

However, Glass Glue should be stronger in refixing the Spade connector to the Window and maybe use the Silver Paint (probably quite a broad strip to handle the current?) to join the Spade connector to the Window element?

Maybe Soldering the Spade to a small Tinned, Brass square to increase the surface area for the glue might help if the surface area of the Spade on it's own isn't enough? Best results by using a hair dryer on the Glass before applying the Glue if the weather is cold as it helps remove surface moisture.

You need to really agitate the Special Silver Paint for several minutes to mix the Silver well then apply/paint fairly quickly.

Thanks for your helpful responses. It isn't the plate that fits on the glass, that is still in place. It is the plate at the end of a strip of metal from the spade connector which needs to stick to the plate on the glass. The smaller plate, from the spade connector is 2cm long by nearly 1cm wide.

Is the liquid solder just to clean the two plates from oxidisation, rather than to actually solder anything?

Then when the plates are clean use the conductive glue?

Thanks again

johnlc - 2016-11-02 7:36 PM ..... would replace mine for nearly £450!

My Hymer winscreen was replaced 18 months ago and that cost my insurer over £3,000.  The new windscreen has had two separate chips since then (in less than 2,000 miles) but fortunately they were repairable with resin.  Thank goodness for insurance.  I hope my exceptionally unlucky run has now come to an end.

..answers you question.

However would I do it to a £450 screen? I would if it was my screen, but certainly would not do for someone else's just in case. Therefore I recommend using a conductive silver epoxy resin adhesive and here is a link to a dedicated kit for tab repair.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERMATEX-electrically-conductive-Tab-Adhesive-21351-repair-window-defogger-/252313244940?hash=item3abf0a950c:g:hvcAAOSw3xJVXcs9

..and a demo video..

on how to use the kit.

Archived