Channel ferry prices

daveseven

The cost will depend on the route, when the crossings are to be made, the vehicle type/size and the people/animals that are travelling.

Cross with Brittany Ferries in a large motorhome in August and you might need to take out a 2nd mortgage, whereas a Dover-Calais (or a Eurotunnel) crossing in the tourist off-season will be far cheaper.

This website may help you get a rough idea of comparative prices

http://www.aferry.co.uk/cross-channel-ferry-uk.htm

joe66 - 2016-11-09 7:08 PM

I am always puzzled as to why we have to pay for the pets when we leave the UK as they do absolutely nothing to justify this charge.

Differential pricing - charging every customer the maximum amount they are prepared to pay (lol)

When I found out it was cheaper to buy a Day Return than a Single ticket I asked what happens if I buy a Day Return and don't come back. :-D They said they would charge the difference to my debit card >:-(

Motorcaravanners used to regularly recommend that significant cost-savings could be made by Channel crossing on a day-return ticket, spending an extended period abroad and then returning to the UK on another day-return ticket perhaps using a different ferry operator.

This was a viable proposition in the Good Old Days as ferry operators’ record-keeping technology then did not allow easy identification of ‘day-returners’ who were using the above ploy. Nowadays, though, ferry-operators have little difficulty spotting people attempting to exploit the system and their terms and conditions (T&C) warn accordingly.

For example, Brittany Ferries’ T&C advise that

"Fares are based on travel dates and times and may require you to return to the UK within a specified period. Documents are only valid for the sailing dates/times indicated. Open return tickets are not available. Fares are only valid for itineraries commencing in the country they are booked in.”

and

"If you vary sailing date and times or misuse the terms of the ticket or any promotion, then the difference between the cost of your original ticket and the appropriate current fare will be charged. Any additional charges are payable prior to boarding.”

In the dim and distant past I seem to remember you got the cheapest tickets by turning up just before departure - last minute bookings the operator sold cheap rather than leave an empty seat

Now it seems ust the opposite. The most expensive ticket is sold at the port just before departure because the ferry operators realise they have got you by the ******** ;-)

Derek Uzzell - 2016-11-10 9:10 AM

Motorcaravanners used to regularly recommend that significant cost-savings could be made by Channel crossing on a day-return ticket, spending an extended period abroad and then returning to the UK on another day-return ticket perhaps using a different ferry operator.

This was a viable proposition in the Good Old Days as ferry operators’ record-keeping technology then did not allow easy identification of ‘day-returners’ who were using the above ploy. Nowadays, though, ferry-operators have little difficulty spotting people attempting to exploit the system and their terms and conditions (T&C) warn accordingly.

For example, Brittany Ferries’ T&C advise that

"Fares are based on travel dates and times and may require you to return to the UK within a specified period. Documents are only valid for the sailing dates/times indicated. Open return tickets are not available. Fares are only valid for itineraries commencing in the country they are booked in.”

and

"If you vary sailing date and times or misuse the terms of the ticket or any promotion, then the difference between the cost of your original ticket and the appropriate current fare will be charged. Any additional charges are payable prior to boarding.”

I think you would have a very good case to argue against the above if you used a day return as a single. It would be totally illogical to make an additional charge when you've actually saved them fuel quite apart from the fact that it would be difficult to argue misuse under the above terms.

If you purchase a promotional day-return fare the stipulation is that you return the next day.

If you purchase a single fare, you do not have to return within a specified period but you cannot return unless you purchase another fare.

Obviously, if the cost of the single fare were no more expensive than the cost of the promotional day-return fare, it might be difficult for a ferry operator to justify charging you for not returning within 24 hours. However, what motorcaravanners were doing was buying two cheap promotional day-return fares and travelling out on the 1st half of Fare One and back on the 2nd half of Fare Two. This produced a significant cost saving over buying a return fare.

Regarding ferries and logic, years ago on this forum someone observed that, if he arrived at a ferry port shortly before a ferry was due to sail and it was plain that there was plenty of vehicle-space left on board, why should the ferry operator not agree to let him travel for free (or for a token charge) as the extra fuel costs for the ship to carry one more vehicle would be insignificant.

John52 - 2016-11-10 8:34 AM

I am always puzzled as to why we have to pay for the pets when we leave the UK as they do absolutely nothing to justify this charge.

Differential pricing - charging every customer the maximum amount they are prepared to pay (lol)

When I found out it was cheaper to buy a Day Return than a Single ticket I asked what happens if I buy a Day Return and don't come back. :-D They said they would charge the difference to my debit card >:-(

If I had a pound every time p&o has made that threat to me, blah blah. They would be in serious trouble. They know they cannot withdraw money from your account without your permission. Anyway according to P&O a single is at present Dover Calais £56 approx. A day return £999 :D unless I'm doing something wrong. I think £56 for 21 miles or so isn't bad. Better than the 8 miles or so from Spain to Morocco at some 200€ 8-) Anyway If you buy a day return I would have thought that the stipulation would be to return on the same day as apposed to returning the next day?

It's an "insurance" for the carrier who will be held liable by the UK gov should they import an animal that it should have refused. Simples. However they charge this for both ways, when in my view it should be a one way charge into the UK as there are no controls on animals leaving the UK. Would they get away with £60 for one way?

In reality they will charge what people are prepared to pay.

starvin marvin - 2016-11-11 3:18 PM
joe66 - 2016-11-09 7:08 PMI am always puzzled as to why we have to pay for the pets when we leave the UK as they do absolutely nothing to justify this charge.
It's an "insurance" for the carrier who will be held liable by the UK gov should they import an animal that it should have refused. Simples. However they charge this for both ways, when in my view it should be a one way charge into the UK as there are no controls on animals leaving the UK. Would they get away with £60 for one way?In reality they will charge what people are prepared to pay.

My boldface, that's precisely it.  Prices are almost always set by judging what the market will stand and, when relevant, what the competition are charging, when necessary to be competetive.

The Channel ferry routes are competetive in relation to vehicle fares (especially car fares) but less so for small volume vehicles like motorhomes and minor additional charges, like fares for pets.  These have little impact on traffic volumes and so will be less subject to competetive pressure.  That's why it's very unusual to see promotions for MH fares, although DFDS did one recently and it might still be active.

£15 each way for a pet which stays in the MH throughout might seem steep because there is no admin effort and no marginal costs at all on the outbound leg but that's probably the minimum amount it's worth them billing for and they can make a charge so they do.  At least on the return journey they have to examine the Pet Passsport for their money.

The price of crossing to isle of wight from Portsmouth, I have just checked 1 way

on 1.12.16 7mtr van, over 2.2 high at 10am , 2 people is £86.45

So the crossing to France is a much better value. I expect the cost in Summer is even higher

this has always been a very expensive route.The residents do get discounts.

PJay

StuartO - 2016-11-11 4:14 PM...there is no admin effort and no marginal costs at all on the outbound leg but that's probably the minimum amount it's worth them billing for and they can make a charge so they do.  At least on the return journey they have to examine the Pet Passsport for their money.

That’s certainly not the case if you travel with Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth.When it’s busy a special vehicle-lane is allocated for people travelling with animals, but when there’s no dedicated lane I curse my luck if I’ve happened to pick a lane that has someone in front of me with a pet in their vehicle. I don’t know exactly what procedure is involved, but from what I’ve seen it appears that Brittany Ferries staff not only check documentation but also ‘read’ the animal’s microchip - whatever takes place, it seems to take forever. Obviously the Brittany Ferries staff who carry out ‘pet checks’ will need to be suitably trained and that’s going to cost something.

Archived