Travelling to Benidorm

valsarhino

Hi,

We are fairly new motorhomers and after travelling to camping L'Amfora in Spain last year we have decided to go a little further!!!.

We are hoping to go to camping Villasol in Benidorm during the August school holidays (unfortunately we both still work full time!) We have 3 weeks holiday so are thinking of getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen then travelling down through France with 2 stopovers at Souillac in France and then Vilanova in Spain. We have planed the same route on the way back. My husband unfortunately has a fear of heights so we try to avoid high bridges or crossing deep gorges.

We would welcome any advice on the route and campsites we have chosen.

Thanks in advance!!!

valsarhino - 2016-11-20 9:08 PM

Hi,

We are fairly new motorhomers and after travelling to camping L'Amfora in Spain last year we have decided to go a little further!!!.

We are hoping to go to camping Villasol in Benidorm during the August school holidays (unfortunately we both still work full time!) We have 3 weeks holiday so are thinking of getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen then travelling down through France with 2 stopovers at Souillac in France and then Vilanova in Spain. We have planed the same route on the way back. My husband unfortunately has a fear of heights so we try to avoid high bridges or crossing deep gorges.

We would welcome any advice on the route and campsites we have chosen.

Thanks in advance!!!

I have stayed at Villasol many times but if you only have 3 weeks then I suggest you take the ferry to Santander. On the face of it that crossing seems expensive but when you work out the fuel and toll costs of the alternative that ferry is reasonable especially if you can get a discount code from a member on here. Just ask as there is also a benefit to Britany Ferries Travel Club members. That would enable you to get to Benidorm with one overnight stop at say the ACSI site at Aranjuez and arrrive at Villasol early afternoon. Far more relaxing than bombing through France where you will arrived shattered and save little. If you had more time, travelling through France is very pleasant but you haven't. The distance to Benidorm via Santander is roughly half that of the Caen route. You can calculate costs by referring to the via Michelin Route Planner.

I too hate heights ( bridges especially) and the Santander route is fine.

Benidorm via Caen, which I have done several times on various routes, is not worth it if you are in a rush.

Have to agree with Mike. france will be very busy in August, as it is the main holiday month there. The sites may be full, the aires most certainly will be, as the French will fill them!. I have Brittany Ferries Club, but only for France, not sure if you would get discount on the Spanish route which I would let you use, 10% maybe some one will let you use the Spanish one.

PJay

Guest pelmetman

Benidorm?.....August?......3 weeks? 8-) .......

We're just arrived near the Med coast at Sogorb and its taken us 6 days to get here :D .......

Its a long journey and quite expensive for maybe only two weeks in Benidorm. The weather will be uncomfortably hot unless you are used to it, sleepless nights and shade y days. I can understand you wanting to go further afield but would suggest northern Spain or Southern France and if you can wait for the epic trips when you have more time available. Happy travelling. :-D : B-)

Northern Spain is lovely, Will be great in August, Nice beaches, and villages. We've been in june, when it got too hot on the Med coast,, but still a fair distance to travel for only 3 weeks holiday. unless you take the Portsmouth/Spain ferry

PJay

pelmetman - 2016-11-21 2:54 PM

Benidorm?.....August?......3 weeks? 8-) .......

We're just arrived near the Med coast at Sogorb and its taken us 6 days to get here :D .......

i see Bruce is performing at Calpe Mar 17th December. Seems he has more gigs in the area in December.

Have a lovely time , Wish I was going for Xmas. Got to go to Yorkshire instead!! Won't be SUN bathing there More likely dodging the rain.

PJay

With 3 weeks I would be thinking of one week in Benidorm, (or perhaps half in Benidorm, half in Javea) one week travelling each way. So the journeys would be relaxing enough to be part of the holiday. (Don't like long ferry crossings & Biscay notoriously rough.)

Longer would be better but you have to make the best of what you have got. If you wait for the ideal opportunity you will wait forever.

John52 - 2016-11-22 8:58 AM

(Don't like long ferry crossings & Biscay notoriously rough.)

I have been travelling on the Santander route for many years and Yes the Bay of Biscay can be rough. But in approximately 20 crossings only one has been rough.

John52 - 2016-11-22 8:58 AM

With 3 weeks I would be thinking of one week in Benidorm, (or perhaps half in Benidorm, half in Javea) one week travelling each way. So the journeys would be relaxing enough to be part of the holiday. (Don't like long ferry crossings & Biscay notoriously rough.)

Longer would be better but you have to make the best of what you have got. If you wait for the ideal opportunity you will wait forever.

Bay of Biscay, should be OK in AUGUST !

Fair comment, I've never been on the Biscay ferry..

I wouldn't choose Benidorm in August though - too hot for me. Alright for those staying in Air conditioned hotels next to the beach if thats what they want . Many of those living in Caravans in Benidorm come back to Britain for July/August because its too hot in a caravan. Those I spoke to say May is best.

Benidorm in August will be very hot and even the Spanish have air conditioners in their outfits, which run all day. They also tend to do everything at night so if you wish an early night's sleep, forget it. The temperature will be in the mid to high 30's and even just before dawn it will drop to...............29 degrees. Just what you need to sleep in a tin box. If you wish benidorm at that time take a package and get A/C in a hotel room.

Some very brave souls (or stupid) state they can drive across France in a day, but until they have the accident, they keep doing it. 2 days is the minimum and realsitically 3. So Calais to Benidorm will take 4 days each way. Santander is better but you are still lookimg at 2 1/2 days to get to the site. Overnight on ferry and a very long drive through Spain.

If you wish to go a further south from L'Amfora then try Costa Alhazar, some very nice sites and lovely beaches only 200 km south.

I too have to agree with everything Dave & John say. We have friends living in Valencia, a bit north of Benidorm, and they often say that nighttime temperatures reach 30 degrees and that daytime its over 40. Benidorm is nice but not in a motorhome in August.

Bob

The original poster holidayed in Spain last year so must be well aware of the heat. There is not a lot of difference in August between the Costa Brava where last year's holiday took place and the Costa Blanca. She must therefore be well aware of the heat issues in the summer months. Far too hot for me but many do it as most coastal Spanish sites are full in August.

I am not going to advice route to Benidorm but why do some people come and say Benidorm not for me in August or do this or go here. The op wanted advice on going to Benidorm so why say ' I would not go there?'

it is their money and their chose.

Hi

Benidorm is LOVELY in August, but packed! Sites will be over full and the Spanish just pack more people in. For a short break I would only go to booked sites, but often this does not guarantee a place as sites just fill up. Wild camping can be a problem round Benidorm if you are particular. Take the Sat Nav and ACSI book!

Just go and enjoy, but take a while to get there and enjoy the trip as part of your holiday. :-D

dougal - 2016-11-23 9:22 AM

Hi

Benidorm is LOVELY in August,

Benidorm is VERY HOT in August, whether thats Lovely is a matter of opiniom. Its not what the OP asked but worth mentioning to be sure he is fully aware of it.

I'd rather go in January than August. If its cold you can always put a coat on. What do you do in a Campervan when its 40+++ degrees?

John52 - 2016-11-23 12:11 PM

dougal - 2016-11-23 9:22 AM

Hi

Benidorm is LOVELY in August,

Benidorm is VERY HOT in August, whether thats Lovely is a matter of opiniom. Its not what the OP asked but worth mentioning to be sure he is fully aware of it.

I'd rather go in January than August. If its cold you can always put a coat on. What do you do in a Campervan when its 40+++ degrees?

Put on the A/C. We usually use our caravan down there as we get more outside living space and yes, it is hot from mid June onwards. We installed a Truma A/C under the bed and although not as good as the roof mounted ones, it does a good job of keeping the van cooler especially at night. It runs at 0.5 amps so a very low drain on the electric. However, I do admit that come July we usually head back home for a 6 weks and return mid August for the late season.

Campervans have usually better payloads than caravans so a roof mounted A/C is a possibility and I gather there are models that literally swop the skylight position. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the sun, as we do, then you need the tools for the job.

I have to agree with comments about the high temperatures from mid June onwards in the Benidorm area. I used to have roof aircon but removed it and put a skylight in it's place. A normal free standing fan is more than good enough. Coach built caravans and motorhomes are constructed with materials that expand and contract with the heat so it's worth considering finding a pitch with plenty of shade otherwise you could be in for an unwelcome surprise. It's not a bad idea to think about moving further north up the coast when temperatures start to rise. On occasions when returning north to Santander the temperature has stayed above 35c whilst skirting Madrid and only slightly cooled when arriving at Burgos.

You do what the Spanish do and rig shade sheets above the ptich. This is fully accepted by the sites. We use green shade but the Spanish use black which works better but we felt it made the pitch too dark. You may even find some Spanish rig shades across the roads so they can put tables there. Fun if your pitch is inside but they are always helpful and move things. You wil probably be invited for dinner at 2 am. Of course the television is always outside in the pitch and always on. Again it is why we 'love them and leave them' come July.

Archived