Habitation Doors easy to break In ..

QFour

Been looking at the habitation door and the type of looks used. It seems the best way into one of these doors is a large screwdriver in the lock and twist. It's going to take all of a few seconds. There are external locks you can fit but they do seem a bit bulky and the only one that will fit our door ( Fridge / Freezer next to door ) cannot be locked at night from inside. They also come with separate keys so would have to carry round even more keys.

Next I considered taking the door apart. It's a new MH so got to be careful but then I would have to drill the door :-S to fit a deadbolt or similar.

All this got me thinking and I came to the conclusion that all you have to do is stop the screwdriver from going in the lock in the first place. The door has central locking as most of the newer one do so why not just do away with the lock barrel. Well that would just leave a hole but a small washer with a small security screw down the lock would stop the opportunist thief in his track. How do you open the door if you cannot get your screwdriver in the lock.

So with the central locking releasing the door lock the handle will work and the lock can also be opened from the inside. The only other door is the front passenger door ( A Class ) this could be fitted with an external lock as there is room inside to fit the inside lock bracket etc.

So what have I missed. It cannot be that simple. If the central locking fails you can get in through the front door. Using a torx security screw would mean you could remove it if necessary. It's not going to do the lock barrel much good but I have another three that came with the MH.

:D

I'd fit key operated deadlocks to both doors with a double throw. Internally they can have thumb turns, however if there is a window near to or in the door (as with the "cab door") have the thumb turn fitted to accept the key so you can deadlock the door internally. Try Harrison Locks of Worcester, they fit loads of these to Hymers & RV's etc.

I've used them twice always do a good job, cost approx £100+/door......what price security?

@Qfour Like you I have thought a screwdriver would open the hab door and the cab door. But we always use the remote to open and close all the van doors and we have a spare.

So I have thought about somehow disabling the hab lock and also removing the activation rod from the cab door lock.Of course if the remote stopped working(and why would it) i might have to break in and reconnect the activation rod.

It seems to solve a number of problems and I'll be interested if anyone does come back with any downsides.

Fortunately our van hasn't been broken into - at least not yet. - To be honest nothing about it is secure as in keeping the bad guys out if they really want to get in - More difficult to drive away though because of the programmed key.

The Habitation door probably could be opened with a good pull - and certainly with a bar or jemmy, the windows although latched could easily be popped, failing that the skylights, one is plenty big enough to climb through, - have done so to clean the roof.

The various storage doors are flimsy and could be forced with little difficulty.

We have a Fiamma door lock - the handle flips over against the hab door and we lock that as well, but a really good shove would break that off I think.

Motorhomes have only a low level of security, enough to deter the casual thief who might just try the door or check the windows - think it is pretty much a "way it is" situation, can do one's best by parking in a safe area etc and lock it - (but who really knows where safe is and what isn't) - and then hope.

Weakest point to access almost all motorhomes is going to be the windows which are basically secured by aluminium and plastic. When I inadvertently locked a set of keys in my A class Rapido the AA guy who attended was inside the van via a small window within two minutes of arriving. Two small plastic lugs were all that was providing "security" to my motorhome. Additional security of doors seems to me rather pointless in the light of this!

Do you know you are all absolutely right........................no matter what you do the windows are always the weakest point.

I'm not going to bother making any modifications,try to remember to relax and enjoy myself and carry on regardless Mr Mannering.

No sarcasm............I mean it

If you've ever been broken into - like me - you'll take security much more seriously.

A drug addict forced the useless lock on the habitation door - and stole about £1000 worth of electrics.

Sold the lot for £30. He got caught after leaving a dot of blood on the door.

Fortunately he did not harm or set free our dog.

I replaced the barrel with one of the circular key type - can't just stick in a screwdriver and force it.

Also fitted a Fiamma external lock - yes - you cannot lock from inside - so I have a steel cable that clips to the door. Also have suitcase ties that go across the front doors. Another simple thing is to put a small circular magnet on the lock to hide the key slot.

You cannot stop a break in, but, you can discourage a casual one.

webby1 - 2016-11-22 4:25 PM

Do you know you are all absolutely right........................no matter what you do the windows are always the weakest point.

I'm not going to bother making any modifications,try to remember to relax and enjoy myself and carry on regardless Mr Mannering.

No sarcasm............I mean it

Webby

I wish you'd catch that avatar, and stop it!!

PJay

Thanks for all the suggestions. Given me something to think about. To start with I have ordered a FAP Key that will let me take the lock barrel out of the door handle. On the back are two small locating pins that work the lock. I will remove these and refit the lock so it just goes round and round. If for any reason we get locked out I will have the removal key and spare barrel in the garage. Sounds like a plan :-D

Motorhomes are the easiest thing in the world to break into, if the thief is determined you cannot keep them out, plastic windows, plastic or Ali sides , all you can do is make your van as secure as you are happy with and hope for the best, be careful where you park set an alarm , leave no valuables visible etc , imagine someone with some battery powered tools and a quiet place wanting to enter your van ,EEEKKKK!!!

RogerThat - 2016-11-22 9:23 PM

daveseven - 2016-11-22 4:31 PM

I replaced the barrel with one of the circular key type - can't just stick in a screwdriver and force it.

Interesting... was this easy to do?

Yes .. I looked at that one as well but could not find a circular key for the FAP Lock. :-(

Now our rabbit Spooky is 10 years old and has been travelling with us since we got the motorhome 5 years ago.He has a comfy padded dog house for travelling and a dayrun that we put outside in suitable places.

So far he has been from Calais to Gibraltar from Lisbon to Naples and is now on his way to Sicily to warm his old bones in the sun. So that's a lot of running for an avatar.

I just thought he deserved a mention

webby1 - 2016-11-23 8:03 AM

Now our rabbit Spooky is 10 years old and has been travelling with us since we got the motorhome 5 years ago.He has a comfy padded dog house for travelling and a dayrun that we put outside in suitable places.

So far he has been from Calais to Gibraltar from Lisbon to Naples and is now on his way to Sicily to warm his old bones in the sun. So that's a lot of running for an avatar.

I just thought he deserved a mention

I love rabbit casserole, and my lucky rabbit foot key ring. Sounds like yours needs cooking for a bit longer.

webby1 - 2016-11-23 6:18 PM

Afraid you're going to remain................................starvin..............marvin

The reason I use this "handle" is I'm always eating and will eat anything, so long as it either swims, flys, walks or crawls.

Never been known to turn anything down. My theory is you can just get used to not eating and then you drop dead!

Tried some yuca last night, tasted a bit like yam, with similar texture only sweeter.... it's a Cuban starchy carbohydrate. I would certainly eat it again....nothing new there!

Archived