What tyre should I put on my spare?

WhiteCheyenneMan

I have 4 Vanco Camper tyres on alloys that have done less than 11,900 miles and show no marks of any sort. The spare wheel has done no mileage, or very little and is another Vanco Camper on a full size steel wheel. But they are all dated 2008 (the base vehicle) and I am going to change them before our next trip.

If we have a puncture, in order to always have a spare wheel available, I would need to divert from my route and find a repairer/fitter asap. So, my question is, do I really need to fit a new matching Camper tyre to the spare at £128.99 from Halfords, or would a cheaper Van tyre suffice when it isn't going to be on for long? Halfords have three tyres from Avon, Firestone and China, which range in price down to below £70.

John,

First thing, DO NOT SCRAP your old tyres!

Sell them as part worn's on the likes of eBay. White van man will finish them off within 12 months whilst they are still OK. When I replaced my nine year old Vanco's I sold them as a set of four and a separate single and they paid for 2 of my new tyres.

As for your spare, I think a budget van tyre would be OK as long as the load rating matches your other tyres. Ask your tyre dealer to confirm.

Keith.

In France they are a bit funny about fitting different makes of tyre on the same axle.

If you had a puncture in France and changed the wheel yourself you can fit what you like. If you had to call out a tyre fitter to change the wheel, the situation might be different.

Personally, I would retain your existing spare providing the side walls are sound and aren't showing signs of cracking.

If you have space, you could retain the existing spare and purchase a new spare tyre (without rim), providing it's the same as the 4 new tyres.

Keithl - 2017-01-21 5:30 PMJohn,First thing, DO NOT SCRAP your old tyres!Sell them as part worn's on the likes of eBay. White van man will finish them off within 12 months whilst they are still OK. When I replaced my nine year old Vanco's I sold them as a set of four and a separate single and they paid for 2 of my new tyres.As for your spare, I think a budget van tyre would be OK as long as the load rating matches your other tyres. Ask your tyre dealer to confirm. Keith.

Thanks Keith, that's an excellent idea! Did you insist on buyer collects, or bubble wrap them for a courier?!

Thanks Robbo, that sounds familiar...........but I had forgotten! I don't fancy jacking up 3500kgs myself!

Colin, that's very, very interesting!! The Hymer Handbook states 6 years, end of. I might try contacting Continental and pointing out the Hymer advice. If they stick to 10 years, I may consider giving the tyres another 12 months..........maybe!

WhiteCheyenneMan - 2017-01-21 6:59 PM
Keithl - 2017-01-21 5:30 PMJohn,First thing, DO NOT SCRAP your old tyres!Sell them as part worn's on the likes of eBay. White van man will finish them off within 12 months whilst they are still OK. When I replaced my nine year old Vanco's I sold them as a set of four and a separate single and they paid for 2 of my new tyres.As for your spare, I think a budget van tyre would be OK as long as the load rating matches your other tyres. Ask your tyre dealer to confirm. Keith.

Thanks Keith, that's an excellent idea! Did you insist on buyer collects, or bubble wrap them for a courier?!
Offered them collection only and got plenty of bids!If you run them to 10 years old then you technically can't sell them as part worn. Selling at 9 years old shouldn't be a problem. I advertised mine as being original fitment from a 200? year MH making them around 9 years old without quoting the exact date code from the tyre. No-one asked for the date code!Keith.PS Make sure your new tyres are actually new and not old stock. When I ordered mine I insisted they be no older then 6 months by date code and the dealer had no problem with meeting this.PPS Whereabouts in the country are you?

Alternatively, buy two now, another two next year, and a new, matching, spare in year three. Then, if you get a puncture, you can just carry on until convenient to get the puncture fixed.

Do remember that if the flat tyre occurs while you are driving, there is a high probability that the tyre will be damaged beyond repair before you can find a safe place to stop and try to fit the spare. Driving on a deflated tyre, with approaching 1 tonne per wheel load, does not do it any good at all! :-( Your only remedy is likely to be a new tyre, and "Camping" type tyres are not always freely available. Better, IMO, for peace of mind, to have a fully serviceable spare than a "get you home" tyre in which you may have reduced confidence.

I keep a very elderly but only part worn tyre as spare.

I have only had one puncture in the best part of 100,000 miles in campervans, so the chances of needing to use it are remote and if need it I will treat it with respect to its age and just use it at low say 45 mph to get to where I can get a replacement.

Its sustained high speed and or low tyre pressure that causes the heat build up that is dangerous to any tyre but particularly to old ones when the bond between rubber and steel/textile weakens

Its a matter of balancing risks. The risk of needing a spare is low and then the risk of failure is minimised by travelling slowly..

pagey - 2017-01-25 11:23 AMhi formula one autocentres have continental vanco camper cp tyres for £99.20 at the moment fitted thats for 215/70/15/r

Unfortunately Pagey I need 215/75/16's which are £121.40 at Formula One. Mind you, that's still £7.55 less, per tyre, than Halfords so it could be worth the nightmare traffic to go to Maidstone!

And don't forget the most important thing John, DO NOT LET THEM FIT 'CAR' SPEC VALVES!!!

You need high pressure valves capable of operating at 80 psi.

And they shouldn't charge the 'Disposal' fee if you take your old tyres away you, so another saving!

Keith.

Archived