micro taps

fesspark

I guess your tap is probably made by Reich. If you want to replace the complete tap, bear in mind they come in 2 sizes where the base of the tap fits through the work top. I recall it's something like 27mm and 33mm diameter. Also, some come with barbed tails and others with smooth tails. You can in fact reuse the original tails, if necessary, by removing a plastic pin between the two tails and then reinstalling on the new tap.

As Derek mentioned, access to the underside will influence the degree of difficulty.

If it's just the micro-switch that has failed, I would still be inclined to purchase a complete tap, if finances permit.

Best of luck - it helps if you're a contortionist :-D

In my experience, replacing a tap ( once you have found one to fit ) is a relatively easy job - BUT - as previously mentioned - access to it may be a problem.

I needed a purpose made tool to tighten mine up as I couldn't get a 'standard' spanner anywhere near it.

Good luck.

;-)

Keithl - 2017-01-25 12:05 PM

If it's just the microswitch which has broken can you not replace it from above by removing the lever? I thought I read somewhere that you could (?)

Keith.

Yes you can. But you still have to thread the new wires down through the tap body and reconnect at the electrical terminal block under the sink.

If the OP's micro-switch is faulty, a temporary workaround would be to purchase some bell wire and a bell switch and connect that to the electrical terminal block under the sink. Then, open the tap, operate the switch and voila, water !!!

The lever can be removed to access the micro-switch. On my Hymer, you had to remove the red and blue plastic inserts in the top of the lever using a sharp knife (a surgical knife is good). This revealed a screw which releases the lever complete with micro-switch. Maybe, the contacts of the micro-switch have become pitted and just need cleaning !!!

I had the exact same problem last year with my Burstner Kitchen tap. I kept it usable (as we were on a trip) by using amalgamating tape which I carry for emergencies. It is easily available and can be wrapped around the tap body, so well worth a try.

A new Reich tap costs around £150. 8-) ...... only available from Dealers in the UK and I would have to wait a few weeks for it. So, I went to my local Caravan/Motorhome Dealer and bought one of these for one third of the price.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-taps/comet-taps/comet-roma-mixer-tap

It was an easy fit but be aware of one thing. I was unable to fit the locking nut on the new tap because of the thickness of the worktop BUT the locking nut from the old Reich tap is the same thread and works OK as it is designed differently.

Hope that helps.

Archived