Stolen Bailey motorhome

Steve928

Steve928 - 2017-01-31 2:16 PM

Will86 - 2017-01-31 1:56 PM

Its not a dispute Its THEFT !

Someone has dishonestly taken possession of another's property.

Its a matter of LAW !

The taking of the motorhome is THEFT.

The DISPUTE is about what further role Bailey should play in the matter.

They are quite happy to restrict themselves to playing by the LAW and have provided the crime reference number and the contact telephone number of their insurer and bowed out (As have I now unless there is any further information to publish).

yes, but steve928, by saying that the keys were left in the ign. They have precluded insurance as a course of recompense. AND it wasnt the owner of the vehicle who left the keys in place.

Open and shut case...BAILEY to supply a replacement vehicle of at least equal value.

I wonder if the thief knows he has a long term leak in the motorhome he stole ?

Will86 - 2017-01-31 11:16 AM

Unfortunately a lot of the misdemeanours that occur in the Motorhome world and that are publicised on this forum relate to a third party and almost never from the actual victim.

Which ... always leads to a suspect source from which its not easy to determine the facts.

This is not to criticise this particular event but why do we not hear from the owner- victim.

If the loss were mine I would be raising hell to all I could think of until every person in the land was aware of it.

The more this situation goes on there are more puzzles occurring. All from different sources, which, suggests there may be errors mixed in with part truths. Will we ever know the facts?

In my book a theft is a theft regardless of where, when and why.

Will

Totally agree with everything you say here Will. The van owner needs to come on the thread here and explain exactly the timeline and events leading up to it being stolen. It was stolen over two weeks ago and i must admit the info on the CC link is poor to say the least.

EJB - 2017-01-31 11:26 AM

The owner has posted on a couple of more popular forums!

Certain forums are subscription only which makes them restrictive whereas this forum is totally free. If it was my van i'd be posting on EVERY free forum along with the usual social media outlets, not to mention urging people to keep an eye on ebay too.

Bulletguy - 2017-01-31 6:32 PM

...The van owner needs to come on the thread here and explain exactly the timeline and events leading up to it being stolen....

Why?

From what has been said above the motorhome was in Bailey’s care when it was stolen and (presumably) the motorhome’s owner had given permission for the vehicle to be at Bailey’s factory for under-warranty work to be carried out.

Obviously it makes sense to disseminate as widely as possible the fact that the motorhome was stolen and to have the identifying data that Steve furnished in his original posting (and that were on later links) just in case someone can spot the vehicle.

Bailey has supplied the motorhome’s owner with a crime reference number and details of the company’s insurer. I’m sure that everybody is aware (or should be!) that insurance providers advise their clients never to admit responsibility in the event of an ‘accident’ and that’s what one would expect to happen here.

The stolen motorhome may or may not be recovered and, if recovered, may or may not be in a condition where the owner would accept it back even if it were repairable. For now Bailey’s and the owner’s insurance providers, and the police, will need to liaise on how best to progress the matter and resolution is unlikely to happen quickly while the motorhome remains missing.

I suppose there might be some cathartic value in the motorhome’s owner(s) relating in great detail on internet forums their understanding of how the vehicle came to be stolen, but that’s not going to change the fact that the motorhome is gone, nor is it going to get it back.

The motorhome owner could (and probably should) be seeking compensation from Bailey for loss of use and/or provision of a replacement vehicle until the fate of the original has been established/agreed. That’s something the owner needs to discuss with Bailey, but slagging off that company on-line, or encouraging that type of reaction from other people (which is what commonly happens) is likely to do far more harm than good.

I agree with Derek on this, leave it to the Insurers to sort out.

If the owner did come on here about it, someone would be sure to criticise and find fault with him. As we all know, a minority of members are a combination of the Oracle and the Fount of all Knowledge ........ allegedly. *-)

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-01 9:14 AM

...The van owner needs to come on the thread here and explain exactly the timeline and events leading up to it being stolen....

Why?

I would have thought that obvious Derek? No disrespect to the op but first hand information gives clarification. If it was my van that's what i would do and if i either didn't own or couldn't use a pc, then i'd draft out detail for a friend to post.

The description posted on the CC site was poor imo. Basic details with one tiny photo of the van taken from a distance.

The latest from the van's owner:

"I've got to say a massive thank you to all those people who shared our story at the weekend. We received an email from Bailey on Monday to say that they had got a response from their insurance company and that Bailey would be in a position to give us a written offer by the end of the week. At the moment we have no idea what that offer might be?"

The implication, re-inforced elsewhere in the postings, is that the publicity across Facebook, Twitter and web forums has persauded Bailey to be more pro-active. Hopefully we'll get to hear further details in due course.

Bulletguy - 2017-02-01 11:34 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-01 9:14 AM

Why?

I would have thought that obvious Derek? No disrespect to the op but first hand information gives clarification. If it was my van that's what i would do and if i either didn't own or couldn't use a pc, then i'd draft out detail for a friend to post.

The description posted on the CC site was poor imo. Basic details with one tiny photo of the van taken from a distance.

The stolen motorhome is a 2015-registered Bailey Autograph 765.

Although the photo on the CC website is small, it is easily enlarged (see attachment) and if anyone is unaware of a Autograph 765’s normal specification, that’s easily addressed

http://www.southdownsmotorhomecentre.co.uk/new-2015-bailey-approach-autograph-765-low-profile-motorhome-n100343.html

The CC posting does provide information about distinguishing features that could allow the stolen vehicle to be identified if it were (say) offered for sale or found by the police:

Registration number MX15 CSF,

Gasit filler point in gas locker door,

4 bike-bike carrier to rear,

Reversing camera,

Solar panel,

No curtains,

No cushions.

so I can’t see why “The van owner needs to come on the thread here and explain exactly the timeline and events leading up to it being stolen” or what this would gain.

It’s water under the bridge now, but when (purely out of curiosity) I looked at how widely the theft had been reported on-line, I thought there might have been greater coverage. The main thing though is that Bailey are now in a dialogue with the owners.

765.jpg.b5bc6ce2147def7599ad95e84b8901a9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

An update from the horse's mouth:

On Monday, it will be four weeks since Bailey failed to keep our motorhome secure whilst it was in their possession undergoing warranty repairs.

We just thought we would let everyone have an update of what has happened in the past week or so.

Last Thursday (2/2/17) we received two Offers from Bailey to resolve the matter. It was Michelle Fleet, the Senior Customer Services Manager, who emailed us with the Offers and stated that she had also forwarded the offer to us in writing by post. In the email she expressed how sorry and embarrassed Bailey are at what has happened and stated that it was ‘entirely their mistake’.

We spoke with our solicitor last Friday (3/2/17) and replied to Bailey, via email, on Sunday giving them seven days to respond (we expect a response by Monday 13th next week). We got a ‘read receipt’ to say that it had been opened by Michelle but she did not reply to acknowledge the content of the email or to specify what would happen next. We followed it up with a written letter which was delivered on Tuesday 7/2/17. We have received no further communications from Bailey this week despite Michelle reassuring us that she would endeavour to communicate better with us.

At the time of writing, more than a week since the ‘Offers’ email from Bailey, we have still to receive the written Offers by post as stated by Michelle in her email on Thursday 2nd February.

In addition, on the 21st January, we wrote to Nick Howard (Managing Director) and Stephen Howard (Chairman). These letters were delivered on the 24th January. We have still not had a reply from either of them. We still do not understand why they have not responded especially if Bailey are as sorry and embarrassed as Michelle states they are. It is of course possible that the letters did not actually reach them so they are oblivious to the theft that occurred on their premises?

Bailey has not offered us the use of a temporary ‘courtesy’ motorhome in the short term. Next week is the half-term break and we have had to cancel our camp site booking – our kids are disappointed. Normally, by this time of year, we have booked our summer holiday trip to France and Spain but sadly we are unable to plan anything whilst this issue persists. Likewise, we cannot make plans for Easter. In March we have been invited to have tea with our MP at the Houses of Parliament – usually when going to London we stay at one of the CC sites but on this occasion we have had to book train tickets and a hotel due to having no motorhome.

Role on Monday……

Hello Steve, sorry to hear the bad news. If the 'publicity pressure' is helping, happy to create a page on our website?

It's not massive, but 32,038 people made 44,632 visits to the website last year, so a little pressure?

It will only take me 30 mins to create a dedicated page and because the website is quite well accessed already, changes tend to index into Google searches quite quickly. Usually within days.

If you want to take up the offer just email what you want to post?

In case of stolen property normally you will get paid what is said in your insurance policy. However in case of the doubt they shift it to the police and their investigations. For sure the insurance company will sent their own too for a interview what happens whit the car keys. In that case it can take more time that you will get paid for the stolen loss. Some critical points will be taxi drivers who take you to the airport and can read out your address labels. If they have a link to your hotel in Bulgaria they have free time. I visited Bulgaria for long time . The Balkans work like a magnet .

That might well be so if the owner of a stolen motorhome were making a claim from their own insurance provider, but that’s not the case here.

If a vehicle were in the care of a garage, of a dealership or - in this instance - of a motorhome manufacturer, the ‘fault’ regarding the theft will not be the vehicle owner’s and the normal expectation will be that the insurance provider for the company who had charge of the vehicle when the theft occurred will compensate the vehicle’s owner.

As thefts like this will be very unusual, there will be no clear-cut ground rules as to what should happen. Bailey’s insurer will wish to limit their losses, while the motorhome’s owner will (perfectly understandably) wish to maximise the compensation provided.

(I note that the issue continues to be discussed on the Caravan Club forum.)

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/caravan-motorhome-chat/stolen-motorhome/?p=2

i get very frustrating about reading this. Although the premium for theft is less in comparison of a car of the same value. I had a theft of my range rover when i was on holiday. The detective follows a list of questions. Where were your car keys at that moment ? Did you ordered already a new car? Is it wise to take your car

keys whit you on holiday ? I answered all the questions in good faith. Check that you have a good replacement car delivered most of them are burnt out.

Bailey need to learn the desirable art of turning the negative into a positive. Your motorhome getting nicked is a negative. They are enevitably going to have to resolve matters. Offering you a speedy replacement with a new motorhome would be a positive and have negated all this publicity. Given that they should get a payment from the insurance company as manufacturers cost would not be that great. Makes you wonder some times.

The Bailey insurance policy is one thing against that of the owner.If they go in a deal is either not of owner concern. But the franchise is not valid in case of theft. Normally the owner has a depreciation table in his policy . Mine started whit extra 10 percent formula. paid out the first year. Mine started 30-5-2015.And ended up 2022 when we are still alive At 28 percent. Still about a third. I wish the the owner good luck and a nice other motor-home. In case they find it back you have some options. It is just material after all.

paulmold - 2017-02-16 4:41 PM

No further news so wondering if a gagging order has been agreed.

It seems not. The owner reports finally receiving an email from Bailey and we (members of the Facebook Bailey Motorhome Owners Group) are waiting with baited breath to hear the details..

In addition, yesterday Bailey created their own Facebook presence - which many of us took as a invitation to post about the theft. Everyone has thus far received this standard response:

Capture.thumb.JPG.34eb389aad2ccf8740c7a3ba8a965001.JPG

Details of Bailey's offers to the owner:

1. A cash sum (£41250) representing the current open market value of the stolen van.

2. An unregistered AA765 (‘a newer model than the one we had previously’) that they had sourced from a dealer’s forecourt that they would be willing to register in March so that it could go on a 17 plate. They also offered us 12 months VED.

Many thanks to Steve for posting on here.

Apologies to all those people who thought I should come on here earlier but I didn't realise our story had been posted and it was difficult keeping up with all the forums that had our story. I didn't realise that I was registered on here to be completely honest - there are so many forums it's difficult to know which is best.

We are currently waiting for Bailey to fulfill the offer that we opted for. There's no compensation for loss of use or an apology just what they are obliged to give us.

Our main issue with Bailey was the lack of communication. We emailed them on numerous occasions but didnt get a reply and it became very frustrating and concerning especially when we were asking simple questions about what we should do as far as organisations like the DVLA were concerned and for a full written account of the circumstances of the theft. We even wrote (via post) to the MD and chairman separately and didn't receive even a holding or acknowledgment letter. We just wanted to know what was happening but they never responded. I acknowledge that perhaps by resorting to social media that they became more defensive but if they'd communicated with us better it wouldn't have been necessary. I guess from our point of view it was a disaster but from their customer services department pov it was just another day and not important (a bit like when the ferry taking you on holiday is late it's a big thing but to the ferry staff it's just another day).

Hopefully everything will be finalised soon and we will be able to move on.

Archived