Trip To York

AlanS

In May we are visiting York in our Motorhome (always wanted to visit) and for convenience have booked the CC Site at Rowntree. For us Southerners this is a big trip North for us - more used to France, Spain, Italy and beyond due South !

My question is for those experts in the North is :- Making our way home we want to visit the RHS gardens at Harlow Carr and does anyone know if parking a large MH for the day would be a problem there ? We intend travelling on the A59 which I believe will take us straight there and then we need a night stop near on our way back home. I could ask the RHS but am sure I will get better advice from our forum members.

Our other thoughts were to visit Castle Howard but looking at the website and google maps there is a fairly narrow arch approaching the estate - any thoughts ?

Many thanks.

Alan

Hi, glad you are visiting York, I'm sure you will have a great time.

You shouldn't have a problem driving through the arches at Castle Howard, I have done it many times driving a large horse box. It looks narrow on approach but wide enough to get through.

Chris.

You are more likely to fall foul of low arches in York approaching Rowntree Park if you stray from the recommended route. I speak from experience of having had to back off with a PVC, inc air con unit, because we weren't going to make it. As I recall the one we encountered had only 8' and a bit clearance.

Ron

I think that their website says maximum width s 2.6 metres and our MH is nearer 2.8 metres with the mirrors out but 2.35 folded - do you still think it is doable ? I know their is an alternative route further North for coaches which takes you some way out of your way so prefer not to go for that option if possible.

Alan

yorkist - 2017-01-29 8:07 PM

Hi, glad you are visiting York, I'm sure you will have a great time.

You shouldn't have a problem driving through the arches at Castle Howard, I have done it many times driving a large horse box. It looks narrow on approach but wide enough to get through.

Chris.

Thanks Ron for the tip. I have done a 'walk through' on Google Map on the CC suggested route and I am quite au fait with that - I will try not to stray, but with my wife sat next to me no chance of that !

Alan

ron. - 2017-01-29 8:34 PM

You are more likely to fall foul of low arches in York approaching Rowntree Park if you stray from the recommended route. I speak from experience of having had to back off with a PVC, inc air con unit, because we weren't going to make it. As I recall the one we encountered had only 8' and a bit clearance.

Ron

Mick

Thanks but we are going early May and never go away during school holiday period anyway. We are also in the CC and their site too is on the river but unfortunately you have to pay their high prices but c'est la vie. Otherwise a THS near a bus route would normally be ideal.

Alan

A THS is a Temporary Holiday Site organised by official Clubs who have exemption under planning laws to hold a Rally at a venue on land that is not actually already a Camp Site, i.e. a farmer's field, sports ground etc. The rally can only be held for not more than 28 days and they usually offer only a place to stop with no facilities, i.e. no electric hook up or sanitary facilities except for waste disposal.

Alan

AlanS - 2017-01-29 8:55 PM

I think that their website says maximum width s 2.6 metres and our MH is nearer 2.8 metres with the mirrors out but 2.35 folded - do you still think it is doable ?

Alan

Hi Alan,

We have been through many times with our Hi-Line Cheyenne and never had to fold the mirrors. The actual narrowest point is quite high up so mirrors clear easily, just make sure you line up straight well before and keep straight all the way through.

It looks as though road signs say Height 11' 3" and Available Width 8' 6"

Keith.

Hi Keith

Many thanks for your reply - just the information we wanted. Just shows how good the forum can be for getting any and / or the right information you require.

Looks like we will be heading a bit North now from York before returning via RHS Harlow Carr.

Thanks

Alan

There is a Caravan Club cl a couple of miles north of York called Chowdene, about five minutes walk from the P&R, also the same distance from the Vangarde and Monks Cross shopping centre's for a spot of shopping. Thought it may be of interest to you.

Also it would be a shame not to visit our wonderful coastline, there is a CC cl at Hawsker two miles south of Whitby called Swan Farm, on the half hourly bus route between Scarborough and Middlesborough, visiting all the picturesque little coastal villages in between, Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick Bay etc. Good pub opposite the cl!

Chris.

yorkist - 2017-01-30 4:07 PM

There is a Caravan Club cl a couple of miles north of York called Chowdene, about five minutes walk from the P&R, also the same distance from the Vangarde and Monks Cross shopping centre's for a spot of shopping. Thought it may be of interest to you.

Also it would be a shame not to visit our wonderful coastline, there is a CC cl at Hawsker two miles south of Whitby called Swan Farm, on the half hourly bus route between Scarborough and Middlesborough, visiting all the picturesque little coastal villages in between, Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick Bay etc. Good pub opposite the cl!

Chris.

Thanks Chris

I wish we had more time but we only have a week then home for a week before we are off again for 6 weeks down to Venice hopefully. Perhaps another year - the CL's you suggest sound very good.

Norm

I have checked in our 2017 RHS handbook and nothing going on that week at Harlow Carr - thanks for the parking information.

Alan

Archived