Fitting solar system to Reich e-Box in 2005 Burstner i86F

trampers

I will be fitting a solar power system to my 2005 Burstner I685, using a Votronic MPP165 dual output regulator.

I would appreciate views on wiring the regulator output directly to the Reich E Box, or whether it is better to wire the regulator output direct to the leisure and engine starter batteries

Many Thanks

trampers - 2017-02-26 6:15 PM

I will be fitting a solar power system to my 2005 Burstner I685, using a Votronic MPP165 dual output regulator.

I would appreciate views on wiring the regulator output directly to the Reich E Box, or whether it is better to wire the regulator output direct to the leisure and engine starter batteries

Many Thanks

You would be better wiring to the E-box ....... mine is.

There is a solar input but you will need the correct electrical fittings to suit the E box. AandNCaravans supplied mine.

trampers - 2017-02-26 6:15 PM

Many Thanks

Trampers,

Did the replies to your 2 previous almost identical posts not answer your query?

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/CHARGING-BATTERIES-THROUGH-SOLAR-POWER/46377/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/fitting-solar-panel-to-2005-burstner-I685/46362/

Keith.

Keith, the previous replies wouldn't have answered the question as they were all related to a Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 99 which the OP thought was installed in his soon to be new vehicle.

The Burstner was rolled out with either an EBL 99 or a Reich e-Box. The optimum way of installing Solar, would differ depending on the unit installed.

I am guessing the OP looked in the manual which sometimes states an EBL 99 is installed when it's actually a Reich e-Box.

Trampers, we can supply a cable ready made that will plug into the front of the Reich e-box for the habitation battery charging with a separate fly lead for Starter battery charging at £10.

However, It is not hard to make up the cable, all the instructions for wiring Solar (as well as removing/installing a Riech e-box) can be found on our Reich page, here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/reich-e-box.php

The page explains why we think Solar works so well on this box, assuming it is a Reich e-Box and not the Plus or II model?.

Can we suggest you give the Reich e-box a really, really thorough test when you get the vehicle as the Burstner cost to replace one is close on £1,000 with fitting and VAT.

Check the LCD Display panel above the Door also dismounts and works in the Dashboard 'holster', again with full function when you drive? The LCD display is £300 + from Burstner. Check that charging on both Alternator and mains is exactly as spec as it usually isn't.

For anyone who is interested, the Votronic Solar dual battery regulator MPPT165 mentioned above can now be found at around £69 (including shipping), see here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Votronic-Duo-MPP-MPPT-Solar-Regulator-Charge-Controller-LiFePo4-Lithium-Lead-/261599213144?hash=item3ce8873658:g:7CUAAOSwVFlUHJMS

We have not used this supplier, but have been contacted by a very happy customer who had delivery within 8 days. The Votronic supplier is apparently one of the biggest 'down under' and buys these by the pallet, hence the low cost. Although it is shipped from the other side of the World, the cost includes shipping which is quite quick.

We think this Votronic range is the best Solar Regulator bar none with dual battery output, and a low long term maintenance 'float' of just 13.4v

It is the only generic regulator that includes the Schaudt Data Bus format. As the Schaudt Elektroblock is installed in more Motorhomes world wide than any other charger it shows Votronic is actually focused on the Motorhome specific market and not House Roof Solar regulators.

aandncaravan - 2017-02-26 8:01 PM

Keith, the previous replies wouldn't have answered the question as they were all related to a Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 99 which the OP thought was installed in his soon to be new vehicle.

The Burstner was rolled out with either an EBL 99 or a Reich e-Box. The optimum way of installing Solar, would differ depending on the unit installed.

I am guessing the OP looked in the manual which sometimes states an EBL 99 is installed when it's actually a Reich e-Box.

Thanks Allan and apologies to Trampers.

The difference wasn't immediately obvious as you had used exactly the same thread title as your last post. Perhaps if you had included 'Reich e-Box' in your new title this may have made the difference more obvious.

Keith.

Many thanks to all who gave constructive replies. The information has been really helpful in helping me decide how to wire the solar system to the motor home elec. system.

It would have been clearer if I had given more information in the title, and thank you for pointing that out.

I am new to e forums and didn't really know how to navigate around to access the answers.

I also asked the same question to the wild camping forum as "747" pointed out because I thought it possible that there may be people on that forum and not on this one. It wasn't because I had ignored all your feedback , as suggested.

I thought the benefits of forums was to generate open discussion and the exchange of ideas etc. The comment by "747" was uncalled for and has the potential of detering individuals from engaging in this valuable medium.

Once again, thank you all for your valuable feedback, I now consider this question well and truly answered.

trampers - 2017-02-28 8:06 PM

Many thanks to all who gave constructive replies. The information has been really helpful in helping me decide how to wire the solar system to the motor home elec. system.

It would have been clearer if I had given more information in the title, and thank you for pointing that out.

I am new to e forums and didn't really know how to navigate around to access the answers.

I also asked the same question to the wild camping forum as "747" pointed out because I thought it possible that there may be people on that forum and not on this one. It wasn't because I had ignored all your feedback , as suggested.

I thought the benefits of forums was to generate open discussion and the exchange of ideas etc. The comment by "747" was uncalled for and has the potential of detering individuals from engaging in this valuable medium.

Once again, thank you all for your valuable feedback, I now consider this question well and truly answered.

You are not new to forums. You joined the wildcamping forum in August 2010 and have made 7 posts. They are asking for information, I cannot find one where you have helped someone with your own stock of helpful information. These forums are a two way street, not a place to get free help instead of paying for help.

Think of me what you like but I dislike anyone who picks other members brains for their own selfish needs without putting anything back. I actually find your comments untruthful and two faced.

Just to put the record straight after '747' s last comment, I AM new to e forums like I said in my last comment. It is my wife who joined the wild camping site as a full paying member nearly 7 years ago but finds it a difficult site to navigate which explains why there have been only 7 posts in 7 years!

My wife is also a member of many of the motor home related groups on social media where she regularly contributes useful information due to the extensive travelling we have done since 2009.

Thankfully I have received some very constructive advice from my post which I am very grateful for, and hopefully when I have spare time, and have got used to these e forums I too can contribute.

Perhaps '747' should think twice before making such comments in future if he does not know the full story.

Archived