Elddis aspire lighting arrangement

durrcj

Hi all, I have finally subscribed to the forum after owning a motorhome now for some 9 years.

I have a 2013 Elddis Aspire 255 and my question is this;

There are 2 main circular light switches on this model but unfortunately they seem to be set up for all lights, i.e. you can switch all lights on/off from either switch. This means that you cannot isolate the bedroom lights from the cabin lights, they are all on or all off.

Is this the norm or is my van wired wrongly??

cheers in anticipation!!

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Clive.

Although there’s no norm for motorhome interior lighting, it’s usually the case that lights in the bedroom area can be switched on and off separately from those in the rest of the motorhome’s living space.

Your description sounds to me like the sort of switching arrangement commonly employed in a 2-storey house, where a light at the top of a stairwell can be turned on and off by two switches - one at the stairwell top and another at the stairwell bottom.

According to the relevant Elddis handbooks, a 2013 Aspire’s interior lights are all LED. Consequently there will be no huge battery-drain penalty in having the lights in the living-area and bedroom on simultaneously, so controlling all the lights via an on/off switch by the entrance door and a 2nd on/off switch near the bedroom makes some sort of logical sense.

You’d really need to contact another owner of a similar-age Aspire 255 to confirm that the switching on your motorhome was standard for the model, but it’s a fair bet that’s just the way Elddis chose to wire the interior lights.

Hi, thanks for your replies guys. I think you may be right re the wiring.

The main reason I wanted it to be separate is for when our Grandson comes to stay and we could put him to bed with lights out and just have the ones on in the cabin!!

You are correct in saying that they are all led lights.

I guess we shall just have to turn them all off and use the spotlights instead!!

Oh well, can't have it all can we??

Hi Clive,

I am intrigued! There are several possibilities as to how the lights and switches are connected. The ease with which your proposed alteration could be carried out would depend on how the separate lights are connected together and then to the switches. The most difficult arrangement to change would be one where all the lights are connected into a single group, and then to one of the switches. This would require the two groups to be separated and and a wire for the new second group brought to one of the switches, plus some moving of wires on the switch terninals, and linking of wires behind one of the switches.

At the other end of the scale would be the situation where the lights are already separated into two groups, the front group being connected to the front switch, and the rear group to the rear switch. If you are lucky enough to have this arrangement, then the work involved in making the alteration would only involve moving wires at both switches, and disconnecting a wire connecting the switches together.

If you want to take this further yourself, it would be necessary to inspect the connections at the rear of the switches, and carefully record the wire colour codes and switch terminal connections.

Perhaps there is a wiring diagram in the Elddis User Manual?

Hi Alanb,

What i would like is for the front switch to control the lights in the lounge area and for the rear switch to control the bedroom area.

its currently wired so that all lights (front and rear) are controlled by both switches, i.e. you can switch them on/off by either switch but you can't isolate the lighting from one half of the van.

i don't think it would be an easy job to fix either because all the wire is hidden and sealed etc.

I'll just put up with it for now and use the spots but its a shame that this was overlooked during design stage.

Ive been through all the manuals and there is no wiring diagram.

TBH the manual is pretty crap anyway!!

I don’t know what type of lights Elddis will have fitted in the bedroom section of Clive’s motorhome, but I happened to come across somewhere on the internet a piece showing how an On/Off switch had been fitted to a motorhome’s ceiling-mounted downlighters.

Approaching the problem in that manner (rather than altering the 2-way switches’ wiring) may be the simplest solution. That way, when the grandson comes to stay, each of the bedroom lights could be disabled via its own On/Off switch and the original 2-way switching arrangement could be left unchanged.

Depends on what type of lights Elddis fitted in the bedroom area of a 2013 Aspire 255 and which are turned on and off by the main switches.

Photos suggest that a pair of adjustable reading-lights are over the bed’s head, but I would have thought those will be individually switched. As Clive has said, all the lights are LED, but some LED lights are ‘bulb’ type while others can be ‘rope’ type. Realistically, only the former could have their bulbs removed and that’s not always a simple task. I recklessly unscrewed the glass tubular shade on one of my Rapido’s Dometic-branded LED reading-lights and then was faced with deciding how to get the LED bulb back in (needle-nose pliers and care).

If Clive’s Elddis just has LED downlighters (that won’t produce a lot of heat) it might be simpler to vary Keith’s suggestion and just mask the lights’ glass covers with opaque tape or a piece of card while the grandson is in residence.

Hi I have a 2012 255 I know on later models the rear light switch was moved from above the bottom of the bed to by the wardrobe door, but I think the wiring is basically the same. I had considered this myself but on removing one of the switches they have eight wires to them. On the rear under cupboard the two strip lights wiring on mine are close together I have just put a switch where the two wires join together to isolate them, not ideal but does the job. I wouldn't try to separate at the main switches as although it sounds the ideal Soloution where I suspect you would need to isolate the wiring is not accessible. If you find a better idea let me know.

Archived