High pressure bolt-in tyre valves

Guest Mad Pierre

starvin marvin - 2018-06-09 12:26 PM

All done and dusted. I have to say Kwikfit have been excellent , good price, good customer service, would I use them again? certainly. The tyre is week 12 2018, If only they stocked clamp in valves!!

They changed the metal dust cap on the valve for a plastic one because in the opinion of the depot manager (21 years working for Kwikfit) the metal ones corrode on.

A smear of Copaslip stops metal caps from seizing on, well ours have never stuck in the last ten years!

The advantage of metal caps is they can hold full pressure if the valve core fails or has a slow leak whereas plastic caps cannot.

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-06-09 4:46 PM

The advantage of metal caps is they can hold full pressure if the valve core fails or has a slow leak whereas plastic caps cannot.

Keith.

I agree but with some qualification.

The plastic ones which come with the Schrader metal valves can hold the full pressure and there are others as well but the cheap ones generally supplied with standard rubber valves cannot hold 80psi.

Some Schrader valves have plastic caps while others have metal caps.

Although a metal cap may corrode on to the valve stem, it shoudn’t if tyre pressures are checked reasonably regularly. I’ve never had a metal cap be difficult to remove from a valve stem, though I’ve had plastic caps split in years gone by. Aluminium valve caps are marketed and, as most valve stems are brass, marrying an aluminium cap with a brass stem might well lead to corrosion.

Archived