Where's my post gone

baden87

It has been moved to the 'Admin quarantine' area by one of the other moderators. I only know because I saw it there.

I think it may have been deemed libellous or possibly moved at the request of the new seller. Sorry but I don't know exactly why.

I agree about trying to warn any potential buyers but Warners have to be very careful about what is written on their forum as they can be held liable.

Keith.

baden87 - 2017-03-05 10:42 AM

I haven't mentioned any names , so I'm surprised , can I challenge this ?

Sorry but I don't know who moved it or why. Perhaps the Mod who moved it can reply?

baden87 - 2017-03-05 10:57 AM

Can I repost ? as there are no names mentioned or reg numbers

Again it depends why it was moved, and once again perhaps the Mod who moved it can reply?

Keith.

Guest Gwladfarwr

Baden87

Any chance of dropping this please? I think you've made your point and it's not necessary to keep on about it.

baden87

Internet forums normally have an Administrator whose job includes overseeing the forum’s structure and objectives, keeping an eye on user-accounts and - if necessary - ‘banning’ a user from paritcipating. With larger forums there may also be Moderators (often appointed by the Administrator from within the forum’s user community) who will have certain powers, but won’t be able to affect policies nor to ban users.

In the latter part of 2016 the Out&AboutLive forums were subjected to continuous spam attacks, and to cope with this initially a number of forum members were given Moderator privileges by Duncan Evans who was then performing combined Administrator and Moderator duties. Although the spamming was eventually addressed by changes to the forum registration procedure, the Moderators continue to have the privileges they were awarded.

I’m a Moderator and, although I’m aware of who some of the other Moderators were, I don’t know exactly how many were appointed or who they currently all are. The O&AL Moderators have fairly wide-ranging powers that permit them to freeze, sticky or delete a thread, or to move it from forum to forum (including moving it to an ‘Admin Quarantine’ forum that’s not visible/accessible to non-Moderators). They can also delete users’ individual postings or edit them at will.

Duncan Evans ceased being the O&AL Administrator at the end of 2016. If a replacement Administrator was appointed, I’ve no idea who that is. As the Moderators were created primarily to deal with the spam problem (which has largely gone away) I don’t know how they are now choosing to use their powers. I didn’t move your earlier posting to the Admin Quarantine forum, but - having looked at the content - I can see why another Moderator might have chosen to do this (if it was a Moderator that moved it).

The editorial listing at the back of MMM magazine no longer has a “News and Online Editor” entry (which was Duncan’s title) so, if whoever caused the thread to move does not respond and you want to progress this, I suggest you contact Rachel Stothert.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/contact-us/

Baden87, I share your frustration that a faceless person can move a post without any explanation.

It's not the moving of it that concerns but the lack of an explanation which is simple courtesy. Agreed that forums need moderators but transparency should be key.

IIRC, I think it is possible to identify the vehicle from the thread which may be the reason behind the move but no doubt the moderator will pop up and explain. *-)

As suggested earlier it may have been the current seller who requested it. And no prizes for guessing who Glwadfwr is having joined to ask you to desist.

Robert

Derek Uzzell - 2017-03-05 2:02 PM

Duncan Evans ceased being the O&AL Administrator at the end of 2016. If a replacement Administrator was appointed, I’ve no idea who that is.

Derek,

I contacted Daniel Attwood about a spam poster after Duncan moved on and he said to report anything untoward to him as he is now acting as Forum Administrator, so if anyone has issues with how the forum is being run I suggest you email Daniel (danielattwood@warnersgroup.co.uk).

crocs - 2017-03-05 2:37 PM

And no prizes for guessing who Glwadfwr is having joined to ask you to desist.

Robert/Paul,

It appears that Gwladfarwr joined the forum at the end of January this year so I would have thought them very unlikely to be the current seller of your old MH as you only started your recent thread on the 1st March. Although I do agree, a very strange first post!

"Date registered 2017-01-27 6:23 PM"

Keith.

I thought anyone who has problems with this forum should contact the administrator. That's what it says at the bottom of threads. Baden87 would have got an answer after the weekend.

I'm not a moderator!

Guest Gwladfarwr

Crocs/ Baden 87. I didn't really wish to respond further to this as I had made my point and in my view too many internet forums are being spoilt by keyboard warriors who after making a useful opening post (as in this case) seem not to be content to leave it at that. Anyway, just to put you straight on who I am. I am in my late sixties and am awaiting delivery of my first motorhome, which happens to be an Autotrail. I have recently subscribed to MMM and have been following this forum for about six months. Prior to this I have been a member of the Caravan Club for 46 years. I live in South Wales and know nothing about the vehicle or retailer referred to in the original post. I'm afraid you will have to accept my word on that, unless you wish to push it further publicly - which would probably be not in your best interest.

I shall not be entering into any further debate with you or anyone else on this matter, I do however find your inferences ill-informed and would ask that you be careful of what you comment on, in particular regarding myself.

I actually looked for baden87s message message this morning because of this message from KevandAli

Picking up new van/where to go on first trip?

I remember what Baden87 had had to say and the fact that Doncaster was involved in both messages made me wonder. I wonder how many others who read this forum thought the same ?

Perhaps today 2 + 2 = 5 and indeed I hope it does !

Mick Bajcar

Keithl - 2017-03-05 3:38 PM

Derek,

..I contacted Daniel Attwood about a spam poster after Duncan moved on and he said to report anything untoward to him as he is now acting as Forum Administrator, so if anyone has issues with how the forum is being run I suggest you email Daniel (danielattwood@warnersgroup.co.uk)...

Keith.

Thanks for the update. Duncan told me to contact Rachel Stothert, but that was on January 1st after I had PM-ed him about a spam posting that had slipped through.

As I’ve no Moderator terms of reference I follow my own ‘Rules of Engagement’ and I try to be generally benevolent. I’ll delete obvious spam and and if I spot a Hints and Tips Forum enquiry that would be more productive in Motorhome Matters I’ll move it to there. I’ll also delete superfluous entries when ‘multi-posting’ occurs. I usually manage to keep my editing fingers off peculiar spelling, punctuation and grammar (though I’m forever tempted to delete pelmetman’s emoticons just to see what happens!) As I confine myself to Motorhome Matters and Hints and Tips, if stuff is moving or disappearing in the other forums, it’s not my doing.

Gwladfarwr - 2017-03-05 4:33 PM

Crocs/ Baden 87. I didn't really wish to respond further to this as I had made my point and in my view too many internet forums are being spoilt by keyboard warriors who after making a useful opening post (as in this case) seem not to be content to leave it at that. Anyway, just to put you straight on who I am. I am in my late sixties and am awaiting delivery of my first motorhome, which happens to be an Autotrail. I have recently subscribed to MMM and have been following this forum for about six months. Prior to this I have been a member of the Caravan Club for 46 years. I live in South Wales and know nothing about the vehicle or retailer referred to in the original post. I'm afraid you will have to accept my word on that, unless you wish to push it further publicly - which would probably be not in your best interest.

I shall not be entering into any further debate with you or anyone else on this matter, I do however find your inferences ill-informed and would ask that you be careful of what you comment on, in particular regarding myself.

Welcome to the forum. Wouldn't have needed to infer or jump to (wrong) conclusions had I read the above first. It just seemed a very strange first post.

Why are the Mods secret??? never saw any invite on line, to become a mod!!

While I accept that some control is needed on a forum like this, I do think we should be advised as to who the "special ones" mods are.

i accept that the publishers do have to watch what is published, but it is the individuals personal views , as to what is acceptable or not, that are being imposed on us!

We should be told who has "control" over us, as some people on here have VERY strong views, which many of us do not agree whit.

SO come on let us know who are on the "BIG BROTHER PA|NEL"

PJay

PS any females in the chosen few??

PJay - 2017-03-06 10:16 AM

SO come on let us know who are on the "BIG BROTHER PANEL"

PJay

PS any females in the chosen few??

Hi Pauline,

I'll be the first to stand up and say I am one of the 'chosen few'. I was asked by Duncan via another of the assistant mods if I would help when we where having trouble with the hundreds of spam postings and used to regularly delete tens if not hundreds of spam postings every day, not an onerous task!

I now only use my powers to correct obvious errors with posts such as quotes in the wrong place and looooong links causing page width errors or moving obvious spam postings to the 'Admin quarantine' area and asking Daniel to ban the poster.

If I have any concerns over the direction a thread is taking I normally refer it to Daniel for him to decide what action needs taking, I have never yet deleted or moved a 'live' thread because I personally did not like the discussion.

Earlier this morning I nearly 'Froze' this thread to prevent any further bickering but by the time I came back to it another mod had moved it, but I do not know who.

And I only know the name of one other assistant mod so can't help with a full list. Sorry.

Keith.

Archived