Motor Legal Protection

I have car insurance due for renewal next week and I'm wondering whether to include Motor Legal Protection again at an annual cost of about £30. I have needed to use it once in the past, many years ago. But with 2 cars and a motorhome, each with Motor Legal Protection, it totals around £100 a year. Somewhere I read about free legal cover through http://www.freemotorlegal.co.uk and cover for £15 a year here www.driverguardian.com/motorlegalprotectionplus .

Does anyone have experience of these? Has anyone had occasion to use any one of these?

I have never taken out Motoring Legal Protection cover as I've never been convinced it offers value for money. But, as a rule, these kind of add ons are never worth paying for more than once, so paying three times is excessive.

I quite often hire cars and the premiums that hire companies want to reduce the Excess is extortionate so I take out an annual policy with Insurance4carhire at a minimal cost. So, it pays to 'deconstruct' insurance premiums.

Robert

John,

Have you read the small print on these policies?

A friend recently tried to claim for legal expenses to help reject a faulty vehicle and the insurance they had paid for rejected their request as the insurance company did not feel it had a 'greater then 50% chance of winning'.

In other words they take your money and offer you nothing in return!

I view them as another PPI scandal and refuse to pay for them.

Just my opinion!

Keith.

Edit to add. Are you in AA, RAC or possibly C&MC or C&CC? If so do any of those offer free legal assistance?

Sorry, pressed the wrong button and submitted too soon.

The free legal cover model looks fairly straightforward and, if you wouldn't feel confident about pursuing your own claim (which is not difficult and doesn't really need a lawyer), it might be worth a go.

Robert

Keithl - 2017-03-06 8:52 PMJohn,Have you read the small print on these policies?A friend recently tried to claim for legal expenses to help reject a faulty vehicle and the insurance they had paid for rejected their request as the insurance company did not feel it had a 'greater then 50% chance of winning'.In other words they take your money and offer you nothing in return!I view them as another PPI scandal and refuse to pay for them.Just my opinion!Keith.Edit to add. Are you in AA, RAC or possibly C&MC or C&CC? If so do any of those offer free legal assistance?

The one time that we've had cause to use it, the other party settled 24hrs beforethe court hearing. So it worked, but was very stressful. It was clear that all the preparation was being done by admin staff and I'm not sure that a 'legal' brain was involved at all.....but it did work!

Archived