Horace......The hardship years......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Its fair to say Horace has led a pampered life, spending the majority of his 27 years in storage or in garages that I have either had built or have come with the properties we've bought ;-) ........

So now that he has no where to hide from the trammels of the weather, I thought I'd start a warts and all thread about his life after shedding his shed :D .......

I was prompted by er in doors pointing out that we'd actually lived fulltime in Horace for over 15 months now.........Where the hell did that 15 moths go?? :-S ..........

Considering his age we have yet to feel he's not up to the job of providing what he was so aptly named back in 1990 a "TravelHome" B-) .........

We are now on our 4th house since inheriting Horace.......Which we currently intend to move into after renting it........... Once we have scratched our Travelling Home itch B-) .........

Of course the architect plans for the new house include a great big Horace House........the gamble is.... will he, me, or we, survive long enough to end up parked in Lincolnshire? 8-) ........

Its really time that Horace was sent to the next world. (pardon ... persuaded)

Beach Head on the South Downs would welcome such a renowned and noble entity where spectators can abound to watch the proceedings, each with a can or glass of 'Horace Water' to wish him well as he makes his last bow to the world and topples over the edge.

Unfortunately there's a trench in the way, it was constructed to prevent the many Horace minded souls from taking the same course, so volunteers are needed to smooth a safe and lasting path.

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2017-03-11 4:22 PM

Its really time that Horace was sent to the next world. (pardon ... persuaded)

Beach Head on the South Downs would welcome such a renowned and noble entity where spectators can abound to watch the proceedings, each with a can or glass of 'Horace Water' to wish him well as he makes his last bow to the world and topples over the edge.

Unfortunately there's a trench in the way, it was constructed to prevent the many Horace minded souls from taking the same course, so volunteers are needed to smooth a safe and lasting path.

Its kind of you to offer to push Horace off the edge Will..........No doubt your alter ego Mrs T would appreciate such a briny end :D ........

To date his leaks since we retired has been a slight dribble from a skylight, which given his advanced moho years was expected and easily repaired with a strip of non setting sealant B-) ........

If only my own dribbles were so easily resolved :-| ......

A more major issue was repairing the overcab windows, which are still an issue due to the stick to anything sikaflex not sticking to the new perspex *-) .......But I have a plan to re bed the perspex after a quick rub down with some wet & dry.........something else I reckon Mrs T would appreciate :D ......

The only other looming problem is an internal leak that I've discovered somewhat belatedly betwixt the water filler and the tank, that has obviously been dribbling for years, and caused hopefully only minor rot problem in the floor 8-) .........Fortunately not gone all the way through yet, so should be easily resolvable, all though requiring removal of the tank *-) .......

But hey, I've got nothing else to do :-> .........Except some serious DIY on the house we've bought to make it rent able :-( .......

pelmetman - 2017-03-11 4:02 PM

Its fair to say Horace has led a pampered life, spending the majority of his 27 years in storage or in garages that I have either had built or have come with the properties we've bought ;-) ........

So now that he has no where to hide from the trammels of the weather, I thought I'd start a warts and all thread about his life after shedding his shed :D .......

I was prompted by er in doors pointing out that we'd actually lived fulltime in Horace for over 15 months now.........Where the hell did that 15 moths go?? :-S ..........

Considering his age we have yet to feel he's not up to the job of providing what he was so aptly named back in 1990 a "TravelHome" B-) .........

We are now on our 4th house since inheriting Horace.......Which we currently intend to move into after renting it........... Once we have scratched our Travelling Home itch B-) .........

Of course the architect plans for the new house include a great big Horace House........the gamble is.... will he, me, or we, survive long enough to end up parked in Lincolnshire? 8-) ........

Ask me am I bothered? Is anyone bothered?

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2017-03-11 7:43 PM

You were bothered enough to reply :D ........

Guest pelmetman
pelmetman - 2017-03-11 5:04 PM

To date his leaks since we retired has been a slight dribble from a skylight, which given his advanced moho years was expected and easily repaired with a strip of non setting sealant B-) ........

Spoke to soon *-) ........Biblical rain yesterday and it started dribbling again.......With hindsight I should've replaced all 3 last year :-| ..........But for now I'll wodge some more non setting tape around it, at least being old technology getting to it to dry it out is easy :D ....

P1010542.JPG.4a99e05a9cea6c75ae9e9f0c40b0ba96.JPG

P1010543.JPG.13ce5f486911dfed004433b56e8c26ed.JPG

Dave - your posts begs the question "how many of today's motorhomes would last 27 years"? Not many I reckon. 

My everyday car, winter included, is my 30 year old Doris - a 2CV6 and I've no intention of changing to a modern plastic thing. She does what I want when I want it. Same as Horace I reckon?

Long live Horace!

pelmetman - 2017-03-14 9:05 AM

pelmetman - 2017-03-11 5:04 PM

Spoke to soon *-) ........Biblical rain yesterday and it started dribbling again.......With hindsight I should've replaced all 3 last year :-| ..........But for now I'll wodge some more non setting tape around it, at least being old technology getting to it to dry it out is easy :D ....

yes, Dave, Biblical....we are tound the corner at Albir (first time, lovely town) and sun is out now, with forecast much better.

good luck with Horce...

Yes, I am. I like reading about Horace. If you can make a motorhome last that long its better for the environment and the economy instead of importing a new foreign one. And it provides useful tips on repairs etc.

I bought a Rover Maestro (arguably the last British mass produced car) in 1990, kept it 20- years, and am pleased to see its still on the road now. I'm quite proud of the way I maintained it so I can see how people get attached to a vehicle.

When people lose interest they stop posting and the thread sinks into the archives.

So why post on a thread to say you aren't interested in it ?

laimeduck - 2017-03-14 9:44 AMDave - your posts begs the question "how many of today's motorhomes would last 27 years"? Not many I reckon. 

My everyday car, winter included, is my 30 year old Doris - a 2CV6 and I've no intention of changing to a modern plastic thing. She does what I want when I want it. Same as Horace I reckon?

Long live Horace!

We kept our last Honda CRV for 15 years (and still going strong) before replacing it but no regrets, the new one is much better.  And I should think the comfort level of a 30 yr old 2CV offers even better scope for improvement!  A friend runs a Rover 75 which he has lavished care upon and runs well; his local garage put a £20 sale price thingy on the windscreen as a joke last time he collected it but it is actually a very comfortable car.

My neighbour has just bought an VW Autosleeper which is nearly 25 years old and seems to be in really good condition - just a bit of damp which needed the roof rack stanchions resealing but after a good service and habitations service everything works and it should be good for many years to come. 

Long live the oldies!  I saw an advert for a 1995 Hymer B694 recently for £14,995; this, or a 1995 S700, was always my dream MH.

pelmetman - 2017-03-11 7:56 PM

I did, just something to do when I was sat on the bog. Which is exactly the place this thread should go. May be the moderator could pull the chain and send it off to the sewage farm that is chatterbox.

I can see why people enjoy owning the older style van as it gives that opportunity for us blokes to tinker and hopefully repair the bits that go wrong.

We saw a MY93 Hymer at the weekend on the CMC site we were visiting and it was by far my favourite van on the site. The owners had obviously travelled all over the world in it and if a van could have personality then this one had it in abundance; fantastic it was.

..........but there I was sitting in my new van with it's Tupperware dull looks and everyone spying on each other to see who had paid the most for their MHs.

If I had the space then I would be tempted to buy an older MH and 10 tubes of mastic and get to work.

Dave - more posts please sir. I think I will learn a few things from you and Horace.

Very best,

Andrew

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2017-03-14 12:12 PM

I did, just something to do when I was sat on the bog. Which is exactly the place this thread should go. May be the moderator could pull the chain and send it off to the sewage farm that is chatterbox.

Cor you're posh wifi in the bog B-) .........We just have a slight whiff :D ........

Although to keep it motorhome related ;-) .......If we had a SOG I suspect we'd have a stronger whiff 8-) .........

But if this thread can help you download on a regular basis?....... I'm happy to oblige (lol) ......

Which is exactly the place this thread should go. May be the moderator could pull the chain and send it off to the sewage farm that is chatterbox.

If you had paid to join a newspaper website you might have a right to complain about the content. But you haven't paid anything to be here because the content is provided free by members of which you are one. So if the content is not up to standard thats as much your fault as anyone elses.

There is no better lesson than a good example.

So instead of complaining about other people's offerings set a good example by posting something better yourself.

I bought a new van 8 years ago and have just about got it how I like it. So I hope I am still enjoying it when its as old as Horace - I really don't fancy the work of converting another one all over again. I'm usually happier away living in it than at home working on it.

Piles obviously playing up again Tony ... Can be uncomfortable ... Not very hygienic playing with your phone in the bathroom fella ... Disinfectant wipes for ya phone maybe

Archived