Weight distribution

paws

There has been a lot of discussion on another forum regarding a portable scales that you drive over with each wheel and then add the results to determine axle weight/overall weight

If I were to use one of these scales I'm pretty sure I would find that the weights on tyres on the same axle would be far from equal,especially at the rear.

We have a 6m van with a rear French bed ,a high percentage of the payload is going to be on the left hand side - under bed storage including spare wheel ,2 x leisure batteries, in front of that there are 2 gas bottles followed by a 130 litre fresh water tank (although never travel with it any where near full).

It is not practical to redistribute the payload.

Should I be setting tyre pressures to suit each corner weight rather than axle weight?

Patrick

Good point. As tyre pressures are based on just that - tyres, then I would have thought that the individual tyre should take president rather than the axle. Your weight distribution does seem a bit extreme though and I can't see many being like that. So in most cases the the difference will not be enough to cause problems. Manufacturers could probably distribute weight better at the outset but moving fixed items after that by the owner is not an option I wouldn't think.

I'd have thought that if you have a French bed in a 6m motorhome the layout would have to be fairly standard - the bathroom is normally in the opposite corner with the kitchen area if front of that.

This means that the gas locker would need to be on the same side as the bed.This also means the only place for the fresh water storage ,other than underneath,is under the seat in the dinette which is usually on the opposite side to the kitchen ie the same side as the bed and gas.

The kitchen equipment would counter balance the weight but I wouldn't have thought by a huge amount

Patrick

Just my take on it but when was the last time you saw a van/lorry driver looking to weigh each wheel for even distribution of weight?

Given the construction regulations etc for the vehicle I would have thought that had weight imbalance been an issue there would be either a caveat saying it needed looking at under 'xyz' circumstances.

Unless you're going to load up one side with gold bars....or lead ingots I would seriously doubt that anything you could load would create an imbalance worth bothering about.

Patrick,

You are guessing based on pure speculation that your individual wheel weights MAY be different side to side, why not take out the guessing and get your MH weighed individually on all four wheels. It is the only way to know for certain.

And then, IF, your individual wheel weights are wildly different the only sure fire answer would be to conact the manufacturer of your tyres for advice.

Anything else on our part is pure guesswork!

Just my opinion.

Keith.

silverback - 2017-03-13 7:56 PM

ive got one of them for sale, pm me if you want to find out more

regards

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

PM stuck in outbox.

Could you please PM me the details

Thanks

Patrick

Note that trying to find the load on each individual wheel is more difficult than finding the weight of each axle. Each wheel must be on the same level, and as soon as you drive off the pads the unless the ground is perfectly level the load on each wheel will change.

Archived