I`m in

nimod

emmerson - 2017-08-04 10:03 PM

"They" already provide parking areas for motorhomes. They're called "Campsites", but it appears that lots of motorhome owners either can't or wont pay!

Being both a caravan and camper van owner, I cannot see how you can demand free overnight parking for your hobby.Why do you expect other tax payers to fund your hobby?

I know this is going to be a contentious issue, but if you cannot afford site fees, then stop at home!

I am inclined to agree.

Many of the camp sites in UK are in the middle of nowhere, as originally designed for caravans , with cars for use to get to local amenities and places of interest. France has more space than we do, being an island.

Can you see the villages in Uk , wanting to "spoil" the peace and quiet with large motorhomes (which in some cases , would not get down some roads) anyway? Parking cars in many places in Uk is a problem, so no space for overnight camping stops.

i would probably suspect, that we in Uk have more cars per family , than most other countries , probably because our public transport is poor in areas outside large cities.

PJay

With the state this country is in regarding housing, if there are any small bits of " spare " land available in towns and villages I should think that houses that locals can afford should get priority over parking spaces for people who want to park their second homes.

:-(

emmerson - 2017-08-04 10:03 PM

"They" already provide parking areas for motorhomes. They're called "Campsites", but it appears that lots of motorhome owners either can't or wont pay!

Being both a caravan and camper van owner, I cannot see how you can demand free overnight parking for your hobby.Why do you expect other tax payers to fund your hobby? I know this is going to be a contentious issue, but if you cannot afford site fees, then stop at home!

Sometimes it's necessary simply to overnight as part of the journey. People go to campsites to enjoy a few days or a week break. What we lack completely in the UK is facilities for the former.

I've just returned from touring the Baltics driving from Dunkerque. The Autobahns in Germany are a prime example of how we are an utter disgrace and failure. Service areas with plenty of available space for HGV's, Motorhomes, Caravans and cars with no stay limit (i regularly stayed two nights). The Restaurant facilities are superb and above all, fairly and sensibly priced (from a Brit point of view.....Germans think they are expensive). There is also plenty of outdoor seating and tables and firing up your own barbeque is no problem. In addition to the service areas there are also plenty of off road parking areas set well back from the Autobahn and often screened by trees, so well shaded.

My return back into UK felt like i'd entered a third world country. Looking to park up overnight off the M20 i found what appeared to be a small village and headed for that. Eventually i spotted a few HGV's parked on the opposite side of the road. It was just a short section of kerbed rough track, beds of nettles and wild growth the other side. Hardly ideal but i managed three hours sleep before the racket from passing traffic kept me awake. I'd have been better off heading for a Supermarket to park which might even extend the luxurious "facility" of a breakfast.

As a country i'm afraid we fall way behind the rest of Europe when it comes to overnight facilities for Motorhomes/caravans and even HGV's.

malc d - 2017-08-05 10:07 AM

With the state this country is in regarding housing, if there are any small bits of " spare " land available in towns and villages I should think that houses that locals can afford should get priority over parking spaces for people who want to park their second homes.

We have the land.......we just aren't very good at utilising it and unfortunately we are controlled by Government and councils obsessed with making shed loads of money from anything. If they can spot a way to coin in a few quid from something, then the meters and cameras will sprout. Look at the proliferation of average speed cams on the motorways as one example........barely any 70mph stretches left now as they've found a way of extracting more cash from motorists. I lost count of the number i drove through today from London.......even 30mph ones! *-)

malc d - 2017-08-05 10:07 AM

If they really cared about the housing crisis they would encourage tourists to bring their beds with them so the holiday acommodation could be used for the homeless.

Archived