LPG refilling in Italy

timndelia

Just back from Italy where we wanted to refill our refillable LPG system.

Tried three garages (only one on motorway) and were refused because we had bottles and it wasn't for running the vehicle and our filling point was inside the gas locker.. Lots of signs and notices on the pumps.

All the LPG pumps were attended and apparently locked up when not attended (overnight etc).

We finally got filled near Florence, at a garage with a constant stream of cars being filled with LPG .

We plan to have the LPG filler put on the outside of the van as this may help but I would still expect occassional problems filling in Italy.

Anbody else had any problems? We hear some garages in France may also refuse to refill.

Only been to one garage in Italy and encountered the same.

We have Gaslow bottles in a locker and we have to open the rear doors to get access to the filler.

After a bit of pleading he agreed to do it!!

Never had the problem in any other country.

The only time we needed a refill of the Gaslow in Italy, we stopped in a service area, I reached for the nozzle and the guy came out of the booth and filled it for me.

He explained that all gas must be dispensed by the operator because " too many locals smoke".

My filling point is in the gas locker but this didn't appear to cause any problem.

Italy is the only place we have been refused....................but next garage no problem

Definitely think the external filler is better.........it enables you both to pretend it's all OK..........

I read that they had a big explosion with people hurt when someone tried to fill a homemade jobby

I was told by an Italian motorway garage forecourt attendant it is illegal to fill up with garage forecourt gas for cooking and I was advised to seek a small garage off the motorway where the act was unlikely to be monitored. This I did and got refilled.

peedee

We experienced this in Italy - but only the Tuscany region.

We too found a garage in a village who seemed less sure, they refused initially but after some arm waviing and us telling them it was for running the vehicle they filled us.

In all 3 garages that refused to refill us (on main roads and motorways) the guys told us it was nothing to do with our tanks - just that we would use it for cooking!

We queried this with Gaslow, they looked into it were told by their contacts in Italy its due to taxation regulation - the tax for cooking gas is different than that for running a vehicle, they can't charge the difference in a garage so refuse to fill.

The first garage on the Autostrada we stopped at refused next was fine and filled up.

In Portugal woman attendant came running out " we don't fill bottle" I pointed at our external filler and said it's a tank, she said OK and filled us.

Archived