Gas on Brittany Ferries

samnkeez

We are taking our motorhome on Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth to Santander.

Does anyone know if you are required to turn your gas bottle off for the duration of the crossing?

I appreciate that the overall safety aspect has to be seriously considered but I just wanted to know if there is any point in putting frozen goods in the freezer before we leave .

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge ALL ferries require gas bottles to be turned off so no point taking frozen food. Why not just buy fresh when you arrive?

Also be aware that some ferry companies have restrictions on the maximum size of cylinders and total quantity of gas you can carry. For example DFDS do not allow 13 kg cylinders, I know as we where looking to book Harwich to Esbjerg before they stopped running.

Keith.

Brittany Ferries policy regarding vehicles that are carrying gas cylinders is clearly stated here

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/faq/travel-information/can-i-transport-gas-cylinders

The cylindrers must be shut off during the crossing.

There has been forum discussion in the past about Brittany Ferries being prepared to provide a 230V hook-up onboard that would allow a 3-way fridge to be run from electricity. This 2014 thread refers

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Keeping-Fridge-Running-on-Portsmouth-to-Spain-Ferry/29129/

Keithl - 2017-03-17 8:06 AM

Also be aware that some ferry companies have restrictions on the maximum size of cylinders and total quantity of gas you can carry.

From Derek's link it looks like you'll be OK on Brittany Ferries even with large cylinders (if you had large cylinders that is)...

"...a maximum of three 15kg gas cylinders may be carried"

Keith.

In case of the chunnel about 35 minutes you have to switch off the fridge. Which is not diamentral to their temperature. The dometic AES system does not run on 12 volt when engine is off. When leaving the chunnel switch on you fridge running on 12 volt engine supply, and at first stop open your gas valves. On a ferry take medecines critical to the ferry management.

A well packed and cooled fridge will normally be OK for around 12 hours....if not opened that is :-D

Being a 24 hour route this obviously won't help you!!

PS. Most travel with the gas switched off...the fridge will run on the engine 12 volts when moving.

EJB - 2017-03-17 5:04 PM

A well packed and cooled fridge will normally be OK for around 12 hours....if not opened that is :-D

We've sailed with a cooled, well packed fridge - including frozen bottles of milk and ice packs - and it's been o.k. after 26 hours ( Newcastle to Gothenburg in Sweden via Kristiansand ).

;-)

Archived