Pensioner jailed for driving with poor eyesight

John52

Why is it that if you get into a bar brawl and hit somebody just once and they die you get done for man slaughter and can go to prison for a long time but if you drink and drive and kill somebody you only get done for drink driving and get a few years in prison, doesn't seem fair. It appears that if you want to kill someone then do it in a car, crazy legal system.

Whilst it is hard to contemplate how someone could be capable of such selfishness maybe it is time for us all to reflect on how we will respond to our diminishing abilities as we grow older. Such a little poppet denied of her future, no words can adequately reflect the extent of this tragedy.

Veronica

i know of some-one, who had to go for a test, to check his ability to Drive. He failed and his licence was taken away! He had been diagnosed with Dementia , so I guess the doctors flagged him up?? Maybe DVLA do check with doctors in some cases of renewal, when over 70?

You do have to declare certain conditions in your renewal.

it can be difficult for some, to give up, especially as in some rural areas , the bus do not cover, so a Bus Pass not much use

Let.s hope they build some more retirement homes (on a good bus route ) for us ageing population.

Dr beeching has a lot to answer for , by cutting the railways, to rural areas !!

Have to say, we have never used our bus passes, except for identification purposes !! We do live on a bus route!

PJay

PS I am not condoning what the guy did, but some people will never take notice

PJay - 2017-03-21 4:36 PM

PS I am not condoning what the guy did, but some people will never take notice

Precisely.

Responsible people will always act responsibly - and don't need to be told.

The rest are likely to be irresponsible regardless of their ages.

:-|

malc d - 2017-03-21 4:42 PM

Responsible people will always act responsibly - and don't need to be told.

:-|

Unfortunately Malc, we can't even rely on that though...

Okay, in this case this chap had been "advised" not to drive, as his eyesight wasn't up to scratch..so that's clear cut that he was in the wrong..

but how many other "elderly drivers" are out there (and just as importantly, the families of elderly drivers!) who know full well, that for one reason or another (eg slow reactions, very stiff/painful joints, they're taking a daily cocktail of Meds, they're just clearly too infirm! etc ) that they shouldn't really be driving....but they just take the easy route and think, "..Oh, it won't hurt...I/they only pop down the road to the shops.." etc ?

..and there will of cause be those who are just plain unaware of their diminished capabilities...

Them just filling in some form every few years and ticking a box, is just not good enough. :-S

I get that for some, a car may seem like a necessity but for how many is it just a WANT rather than a real NEED?

Grocery shopping can get delivered very easily now, along with pretty much everything else ...and a taxi or a "lift" can be arranged for things like GP/hospital appointments...

pepe63 - 2017-03-21 6:17 PM

but how many other "elderly drivers" are out there (and just as importantly, the families of elderly drivers!) who know full well, that for one reason or another (eg slow reactions, very stiff/painful joints, they're taking a daily cocktail of Meds, they're just clearly too infirm! etc ) that they shouldn't really be driving....but they just take the easy route and think, "..Oh, it won't hurt...I/they only pop down the road to the shops.." etc ?

Thats why I'm uneasy about increasing prison sentences- its a poor substitute for increasing the detection rate :-S

I get that for some, a car may seem like a necessity but for how many is it just a WANT rather than a real NEED?

Grocery shopping can get delivered very easily now, along with pretty much everything else ...and a taxi or a "lift" can be arranged for things like GP/hospital appointments...

Yes Grocery shopping can be delivered, but to order, in most cases, you need to shop on line.

i know for a fact, that (believe it or not) that there are STILL people who do not have internet, and do not know how to use computers.

Can't imagine trying to order my groceries on the phone!!

In some communities they have voluntary drivers , but lot,s of older persons, are too proud to ask for help, and family are not close by. (ours aren't)

PJay

stevec176 - 2017-03-21 3:47 PM

Why is it that if you get into a bar brawl and hit somebody just once and they die you get done for man slaughter and can go to prison for a long time but if you drink and drive and kill somebody you only get done for drink driving and get a few years in prison, doesn't seem fair. It appears that if you want to kill someone then do it in a car, crazy legal system.

Well I guess deliberately hitting someone shows some harm was intentional. But I do agree the sentences should reflect the action rather than its unintended consequences.

How many people pull out of a junction or overtake without looking properly, or drive too fast in poor visibility, and get away with it. Wheras for an unlucky driver it results in carnage and a long prison sentence. But aren't they all as blameworthy :-S

PJay - 2017-03-22 9:57 AM

Grocery shopping can get delivered very easily now, along with pretty much everything else ...and a taxi or a "lift" can be arranged for things like GP/hospital appointments..

Yes Grocery shopping can be delivered, but to order, in most cases, you need to shop on line.

i know for a fact, that (believe it or not) that there are STILL people who do not have internet, and do not know how to use computers.

In some communities they have voluntary drivers , but lot,s of older persons, are too proud to ask for help, and family are not close by. (ours aren't)

PJay

Lots of people use a taxi to go to the supermarket too. If they can afford to run a car they can afford to sell it and use the money for taxis

PJay

Hi PJay

Of cause there will be some who don't have or just choose not to use, the internet....but in many cases there will still be better options, than them driving when they really shouldn't...

My father-in-law used to work for age concern, taking folks shopping etc,(he didn't just drive them to the shop, he walked with them around the store as well).

So options are there..

Yes there will be some who are too proud to do that but I reckon that a greater number will just feel that "they" don't need any assistance....and that such measures are only for "..those old codgers.."

( as one elderly in-law refers to folk who are actually younger than them :-S )

My OH has a step-in-law type of relative , who is 90+ and still driving.....the reason?..

His married sons and daughters, who live within 5-6 mile, probably find it "easy" to overlook it and let him get on with it!

:-S

John52 - 2017-03-22 10:09 AM

Grocery shopping can get delivered very easily now, along with pretty much everything else ...and a taxi or a "lift" can be arranged for things like GP/hospital appointments..

PJay

Lots of people use a taxi to go to the supermarket too. If they can afford to run a car they can afford to sell it and use the money for taxis

I agree with John. An aunt of mine did that, but she lived on the outskirts of London. Taxis are not always an option in rural areas, it has to be private hire, and that can be expensive, and not always practical We.ve used taxi for getting to the city, where parking is a problem, and we did not know where the place was any way.

pepe63 - 2017-03-22 10:38 AM

My OH has a step-in-law type of relative , who is 90+ and still driving.....the reason?..

His married sons and daughters, who live within 5-6 mile, probably find it "easy" to overlook it and let him get on with it!

:-S

Hi pepe

" Overlook " what ?

Are you saying that he is no longer a safe driver ?

;-)

Archived