Just got back from Brecon Beacons

Fiat Ducato

We have just returned from our first trip in our newly refurbished 1997 Fiat Ducato Motorhome which as been sitting for nearly 2 years. With the occasional run out up the motorway and back.

Obviously I fully serviced it before I went and checked everything, new brakes all round, new filters, oil change, new belts, new glow plugs.

Forget to drain and refill coolant and going up one of the highest peaks in the Brecon Beacon national park, thought she'd give up the ghost, lost power, even in first gear, temp was over heating, and white and black smoke was coming ot of the exhaust. My fist thought was oh my god, head gasket as gone.

But after letting the van cool down for a bit half way up a 11% hill, checked the water tank for oil, and oil for water or creamy sludge. But all appeared fine, except the relays in the fan housing appeared to not be working. Carred on up the hill fine and run perfectly after that. Not sure if she was just choking on some old crap in the system somewhere where she as been left standing for ages. Or using the last bit of old fuel.

When I got back decided to flush out radiator coolant but noticed that my radiator fins and quite large holes in them, so removed it and ordered new one £61 not bad I thought. There was loads of rusty coloured water coming out and expansion tank as a rusty sediment in the bottom removed that as well but can I hell get it clean, tried washing up liquid leaving it to soak, tried bio washing powder, and descaler, removed some of the sludge but still loads left.

Anyone got any ideas apart from replacing the tank at a cost of over £40

If you can remove the tank.

Blank off the openings with corks, or a small pieces of plastic film and tape.

Try inserting a few small pebbles along with the detergent mix.

Shake vigourously.

Then be sure to remove ALL of the pebbles before refitting.

I have used a similar technique on other cleaning jobs in the past.

Alan

Fiat Ducato - 2017-04-18 10:26 AM

... except the relays in the fan housing appeared to not be working.

Paul,

I would say your most important job should be testing and fixing your electric fans. You cannot expect your cooling system to work correctly without your fans working.

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-04-18 12:59 PM

Fiat Ducato - 2017-04-18 10:26 AM

... except the relays in the fan housing appeared to not be working.

Paul,

I would say your most important job should be testing and fixing your electric fans. You cannot expect your cooling system to work correctly without your fans working.

Keith.

Hi again Keith

Yes of course, I sorted them while we were away on our trip, I always carry a tool box with me for long journeys, removed blown relays and purchased 2 new ones in the first major town we got to.

Was just concerned about the amount of rusty coloured water and sludge in the expansion tank and therefore in the radiator and engine block.

Already flushed it three times with cold water now, with a big improvement. Removed all hoses and expansion tank and tried to clean it. Removed thermostat and undone engine block drain plug and flushed engine block through.

New radiator should be here today ready to fit, and put all back together with fresh premium coolant.

Alanb - 2017-04-18 11:41 AM

If you can remove the tank.

Blank off the openings with corks, or a small pieces of plastic film and tape.

Try inserting a few small pebbles along with the detergent mix.

Shake vigourously.

Then be sure to remove ALL of the pebbles before refitting.

I have used a similar technique on other cleaning jobs in the past.

Alan

Great idea Alan will try that today before fitting my new radiator. On a different forum somebody mentioned using long grain rice and doing same technique. Tried it but made no difference just a big mess, in the bath lol

Archived