MOT exhaust advisory

david lloyd

Had a conversation with a chap today at Peterborough show who bought a new LE Voyageur a few years ago and when he took it for the first MOT they placed an advisory on it saying that the exhaust exited on the wrong side of the vehicle - the UK near side - and that all UK vehicles should have the exhaust exiting on the offside - that is, away from the pavement. Importantly, it didn't fail the MOT and he took it back to the importer who took it up with the manufacturer and the exhaust was replaced free of charge.

My Hymer B544 has the exhaust exiting from the near side and will be due for first MOT in September 2018. In advance of that and whilst the dealer/manufacturer warranty is still current I thought I would ask if this has been experienced by anyone else? And what was the outcome?

My Hymer is a UK import - RHD - built for the UK market not a European import.

David

There is nowhere n the MOT Manual to support this. Any operative who does this should be challenged.

Never mind vehicles built abroad, what about V8 exhausts? One of them exits at the nearside. Methinks a tester needs to be retested.

As above, it's not part of test.

Mine exits on the n/s which is other side to sld which is also the habitation door, my inspector has never mentioned it, even thou he has to throw sensor under the van.

p.s. It should be pointed out that passing a MOT doesn't mean the vehicle meets UK regs.

colin - 2017-04-23 7:59 PM

As above, it's not part of test.

Mine exits on the n/s which is other side to sld which is also the habitation door, my inspector has never mentioned it, even thou he has to throw sensor under the van.

p.s. It should be pointed out that passing a MOT doesn't mean the vehicle meets UK regs.

Yes Colin, and I think that is why the tester in this case put an advisory on the guy's van - he did say that the dealer (after he had queried it) looked up the regs and found reference there that the exhaust should exit on the offside. I don't know if they were the Constructiin and Use regulations but, as I said above, the important bit was that it did not fail the MOT.

So far, looks as though it is not a common occurrence, given the amount of Motorhomes built in Europe and imported into the UK, and perhaps this was a rather enthusiastic tester.

David

Mine exits on nearside and never had an issue with MOT,

Indeed as I do the majority of my miles in mainland Europe one could argue it makes sense for me to have it exist the 'wrong side'.

I wondered why it was on the nearside when it is a RHD vehicle and then it struck me why. The habitation door is on the offside as primarily a continental design layout and as such one would not want the exhaust fumes coming in the door vents or indeed under the awning should one require to start the engine while camped up.

Brambles - 2017-04-23 11:35 PM

Indeed as I do the majority of my miles in mainland Europe one could argue it makes sense for me to have it exist the 'wrong side'.

I wondered why it was on the nearside when it is a RHD vehicle and then it struck me why. The habitation door is on the offside as primarily a continental design layout and as such one would not want the exhaust fumes coming in the door vents or indeed under the awning should one require to start the engine while camped up.

I suppose we might wish that but I think you will find, like most things it comes down to economics. Why go to the expense of having to produce two different exhaust systems when one will do and the same goes for moving the door which would involve producing a mirror image of the interior for the UK market. Yes, some companies do. It only causes proplems with some A class 'vans when there is no drivers door so you have to step out onto the road. But how often do you park on the UK road?

keninpalamos - 2017-04-24 7:26 AM

Brambles - 2017-04-23 11:35 PM

I suppose we might wish that but I think you will find, like most things it comes down to economics. Why go to the expense of having to produce two different exhaust systems when one will do and the same goes for moving the door which would involve producing a mirror image of the interior for the UK market. Yes, some companies do. It only causes proplems with some A class 'vans when there is no drivers door so you have to step out onto the road. But how often do you park on the UK road?

I don't think I need worry but just as an observation - my Fiat base vehicle used by Hymer is imported by many UK converters and it arrives from Fiat with the exhaust exiting on the offside. So they already have two types of exhaust systems and it very much depends on what the manufacturer specifies at the time of ordering their base vehicles from the chassis suppliers.

David

I had to have an exhaust replace once when we were in Holland, after a lot of offering up at the Talbot express dealer they fitted an exhaust.

Six months latter and back in Britain the exhaust broke on a weld because it was made for a left hooker.

Pete

breakaleg - 2017-04-24 11:21 AM

I had to have an exhaust replace once when we were in Holland, after a lot of offering up at the Talbot express dealer they fitted an exhaust.

Six months latter and back in Britain the exhaust broke on a weld because it was made for a left hooker.

Pete

?

This can be new discussion point and very interesting in what the changes are for a motor home of the same type in left drive and right drive steering wheel. looking to the front. The impact is impressive. To name a few under the fiat ducato bonnet looking at the engine bay at first. Than your windscreen wipers. Ducato does not change the foot well so you will not have them. All side wall entrance is reversed. The right hand driving market including Australia and other countries makes it still an important market but whit some funny mistakes.

Had a look around while at Peterborough and there were hundreds of continental models with the exhaust leading out onto the (UK) near side. There were a few continental models with it coming out in the offside and at least one with it directly under the centre of the van - which I found rather odd.

Given the amount of vans with this type of exhaust arrangement and the lack of anyone coming forwRd with the same experience as the chap,I spoke to, I think it may not be a problem when I get to the MOT test.

David

I spent a considerable amount of time searching after the original post, Construction & Use, MOT testing, etc, etc, and the only reference to exhaust outlet position I could find was specifically for minibuses, and that stated exit must be to rear or offside.

The only other comment I could find was a recommendation that the exhaust outlet was behind the rearmost door if on the side of a vehicle. So if you have a side door on one side then by having the outlet on the other it means it could be possibly be further forwards.

Keith.

Archived