Information

Tony44935

Hi, can you tell me, when the Motorhome is made, the actual structure is shaped, therefore filler ?? If that's what it is , is filled in the creases of the vehicle, is this filler there for a reason, or would water ingress into the vehicle if this wasn't there ?? Or is it there just for show ??

I think i may have not have explained my question properly as there has been 94 hits and nobody has answered. Will try again, on a Motorhome there are fibreglass/metal/plastic folds, where shapeing has been done, ie the roof curves around above the front window screen/around the corners etc, these folds are filled, i think with some form of white plastic padding or some other white compound. I presume it is to form some sort of seal from the weather, i don't know, or is this filling just put in there .??????

If you mean where 2 panels join then it is there to hold the body together and to seal the join against the weather etc it is not body filler. It's usually a caravan/motorhome industry standard sealant branded as Sikoflex or similar. I think it's your use of the word "folds" for joints perhaps that is a little confusing.

Ok, I've got it, just my use of words. All i am doing, is keeping up with trying to look after the motorhome, so things ,don't mount up in the up keep of the vehicle, as never had a vehicle like this before.So, what i wanted to know was the Motorhome when it was made, the construction of the panel to panels, which are folded into shape, (now i know i have been informed is a sealer, )therefore, just some of the sealer is starting to crack, would it be surface cracking, or would this usually go all the way back to the folding of the panels, there doesn't seem to be much cracking, but just starting, should i have it re-done, unfortunately i could not do it myself but , when usually should i leave it for until having it re-sealed ?? Is it a big job?? / Costly ?Would a normal garage body shop be able to do it'??

Hi Tony,

I'm guessing this is on your CI Cipro 85 2007. Correct?

If so, as this is a coachbuilt MH, you are probably better going to a caravan repairers than a car body shop. They will have the necessary skills and materials which are very different to those required for a car.

Keith.

Thanks for reply, it's maybe me getting paranoid, i am learning there is so much of an up keep. I will do as suggested and pop over to local caravan dealers/technicians and get them to give a quick look over. I just wondered how much of a job it was, doing this sort of repairing as to what is involved.?

Thanks ,for the info it does really help and explains things a bit, it's all a learning curve. As i said i think i have just got paranoid looking at all the things that can go wrong. I went on other web forums looking at other people who have probs with there seals etc, some are really bad seeing there photographs, Looking at my motorhome today in the sunshine it only a very very small crack in the seal, about 2-3 inches longl but it starts like that and as they say if the weather freezes it starts to open up. Alot of people have said captains Trolley creeping crack recommended and all give 5 stars some go around each year redoing there seals with this, what's your opinion ??? as i said before, when you look at your vehicle and see even a small maybe problem, just try and keep up and get it done. Cheers.

Archived