Key fob battery

mikejkay

How long might one reasonably expect a key fob battery to last? I ask because mine is showing signs of failing and it's only 13 months old (from delivery). Previous key fob batteries have lasted for years. In fact I've never had one expire. I'm concerned because I'm about to go off on a long trip.

P.S. Are they easy to replace?

Len Salisbury - 2017-04-25 12:36 PM

My key fob battery for the Peugeot Boxer remote is quite easy to replace, you just need a small screwdriver. My battery code is 2032 and can be obtained from Tesco 2x for £4, but if you buy one from main dealer it will cost an arm and a leg for the same.

My Golf has the same code. I changed it after 6 years but it turned out that the battery was still OK and the problem was electrosmog, so something's wrong if you've only had it 13 months. I found that our chemist stocks them for hearing aids, £2.

Muswell - 2017-04-25 1:13 PM

Len Salisbury - 2017-04-25 12:36 PM

My key fob battery for the Peugeot Boxer remote is quite easy to replace, you just need a small screwdriver. My battery code is 2032 and can be obtained from Tesco 2x for £4, but if you buy one from main dealer it will cost an arm and a leg for the same.

My Golf has the same code. I changed it after 6 years but it turned out that the battery was still OK and the problem was electrosmog, so something's wrong if you've only had it 13 months. I found that our chemist stocks them for hearing aids, £2.

. Pardon (lol)

Brambles - 2017-04-25 8:19 PM

mikejkay - 2017-04-25 7:47 PM

What is electrosmog?

Its all the electromagnetic radiation around us caused by numerous phones, wireless appliances, mains electricity, radio transmitters, etc.

We, and neighbours, had a problem with our key fobs and sometimes had to stand next to the engine to open our cars. Then I had an LPG delivery and it couldn't discharge because all gas tankers have remote controls for safety reasons. I got in touch with OFCOM and then sent someone who found that a neighbour had a faulty TV signal booster. When I first spoke to OFCOM they went through a list of devices they wanted me to check, such as wireless doorbell, wireless heating controls and so on.

Archived