3 Feel At Home

mikejkay

As I get older my brain is turning to mush :'( , or the small print is becoming ever more unintelligible >:-( . I have a Huawei mifi modem and got it working with both my laptop and my tablet. I am intending to buy a 12GB PAYG SIM but am confused as to whether it will work in Feel At Home countries without any further action on my part. I presume that I have to register the SIM with 3 before I leave the UK but do I have to buy an "add-on" or in some way transfer the 12GB data allowance?

I also use a Huawei MiFi with a pre-loaded three SIM.

I make sure my SIM has been used (albeit maybe only briefly) in the UK immediately before heading abroad, but other than that (and, of course, subject to the other conditions) I've not taken any other action, and managed to get several periods of over three weeks' worth of use around both Scandinavia and Belgium/France/Germany, etc. out of a single SIM (and other use touring the UK).

It is worthwhile registering the SIM (number) for a Mythree account to allow you to track the allowance and its status, but, AFAIK, it isn't compulsory.

For purchase of a preloaded data 3 SIM try www.mymemory.co.uk as recommended by another MH forum.

You don't need to activate the SIM in UK prior to travel to Europe but might be wise just to check everything is working OK. I've never registered my preloaded data SIM with 3. If it's a preloaded data SIM there is no reason to register with 3. You can use the SIM in feel at home countries for up to 2 months outside UK. When you return to UK make sure you use it to reset the allowance for your next trip outside UK (within the 12/24 month period). If you are going to be away for longer than 2 months then just buy a reserve SIM and activate it when the first one runs out.

Good idea to download the Huawei app so you can see your data usage and also to change the local mobile phone provider if you get a weak signal in a particular area.

Probably worth reminding people before anyone purchases any sims for roaming or takes on contracts that include roaming that all roaming rates in the EU are to be abolished June 15th. Watch out for announcements from your providers. Oh and enjoy it while it lasts. :-(

Just a word of warning I purchased a sim from 3 for France, for once something worked straight away.

However apart from emails without attachments it was useless, you can change partner provides from within the Huawei software which at times helped. YouTube Facebook with videos or downloading pod casts was a waste of time.

Do some research apparently this is a common issue.

takeaflight - 2017-04-30 9:47 PM

Just a word of warning I purchased a sim from 3 for France, for once something worked straight away.

However apart from emails without attachments it was useless, you can change partner provides from within the Huawei software which at times helped. YouTube Facebook with videos or downloading pod casts was a waste of time.

Do some research apparently this is a common issue.

Yes, agree. When you use 3 in the feel at home countries the signal is throttled back.

My wife tried to download books from Amazon for her Kindle and they refused to download. Worked OK from campsite wi-fi.

Adam from motorhomewifi recommends changing your browser to Opera which has less demands on the system. I haven't tried this yet but perhaps others might know if this works.

Personally, I've been quite happy being able to web surf and do emails - a vast improvement over being tied to campsite wi-fi especially when touring using Aires.

Barryd999 - 2017-04-27 11:41 PM

Probably worth reminding people before anyone purchases any sims for roaming or takes on contracts that include roaming that all roaming rates in the EU are to be abolished June 15th. Watch out for announcements from your providers. Oh and enjoy it while it lasts. :-(

Wonder how it's going to work with 'unlimited' packages? Our UK operators will have to pay their EU counterparts for each call, text and gb of data.

The charges are:-

From June 15th, EU citizens will be able to use their phone as they would at home, whilst travelling within the EU. This includes calls, texts and data. The operators will, however, still have to pay a charge.

EU negotiators have agreed on the following wholesale caps:

3.2 cents per minute of voice call, as of 15 June 2017

1 cent per SMS, as of 15 June 2017

A step by step reduction over 5 years for data caps decreasing from €7.7 per GB (as of 15 June 2017) to €6 per GB (as of 1 January 2018), €4.5 per GB (as of 1 January 2019), €3.5 per GB (as of 1 January 2020), €3 per GB (as of 1 January 2021) and €2.5 per GB (as of 1 January 2022)

My £10 per month sim only deal gives me unlimited calls, texts and 1gb of data. That could easily cost my provider more than I'm paying them.

I expect to see some caps.

derek500 - 2017-05-01 11:02 AM

Wonder how it's going to work with 'unlimited' packages? Our UK operators will have to pay their EU counterparts for each call, text and gb of data.

From June 15th, EU citizens will be able to use their phone as they would at home, whilst travelling within the EU. This includes calls, texts and data. The operators will, however, still have to pay a charge.

A step by step reduction over 5 years for data caps decreasing from €7.7 per GB (as of 15 June 2017) to €6 per GB (as of 1 January 2018), €4.5 per GB (as of 1 January 2019), €3.5 per GB (as of 1 January 2020), €3 per GB (as of 1 January 2021) and €2.5 per GB (as of 1 January 2022)

My £10 per month sim only deal gives me unlimited calls, texts and 1gb of data. That could easily cost my provider more than I'm paying them.

I think I did read some stuff about that a couple of weeks ago. It was mainly the data that would be restricted though. 9gb max a month I think but ill have to check. I dont really see why calls should be more expensive anyway.

With regard to throttling has anybody got experience of using WhatsApp on Feel at Home? Is it useable? What about the WhatsApp phone facility?

Any body been cut off after two months when using a twelve month SIM? Does crossing a border and therefore changing carriers reset the system?

We took a 3 MiFi device to Tenerife and the speed was 48kbps at best. We are now in Holland and experiencing speeds of 36kbps. The MiFi is on a 12 month contract at £15 month. The usage is restricted to 60days in a rolling 12 month period. 3 say they cannot guarantee speeds out of the UK.

So there you have it, unusable and expensive. Fortunately the MiFi is unlocked and I will now be using a locally purchased data card in it.

Two friends in Spain were cut off bang on 60 days on their 12 month sim card. Another friend was also cut off before the 60 days due to exceeding the 12GB limit.

Crossiing borders has no effect on the allowances, even returning to the Uk does not reset. It's 60 days in 12 months on contract or 12gb/12 months on the other.

Had '3 At Home' for some time now.  Never had problems in places as diverse as Canaries, NZ, Australia, Spain, Gib.  Off to Greek islands soon so hoping it's equally as good there.

Now on offer  12gb data, 600 minutes unlimited texts £15.00 per month.

mikejkay - 2017-05-01 1:06 PM

With regard to throttling has anybody got experience of using WhatsApp on Feel at Home? Is it useable? What about the WhatsApp phone facility?

Any body been cut off after two months when using a twelve month SIM? Does crossing a border and therefore changing carriers reset the system?

Been using what's app in Spain& Portugal including photos no problem, & even had a phone call in Spain.

My first three sim I had for 3 years pay as you go and used to spend about 5 months abroad a year. They texted me on January 4th saying roaming would be disabled on my sim, so I binned it. Now I just buy three data sims and they actually cost a bit less as I don't have to buy bundles.

• 2 weeks later...
derek500 - 2017-05-01 11:02 AM

Well, Sky Mobile have proved me wrong and have confirmed that the unlimited calls and texts will be available for EU roaming.

Handy thing about Sky is the unused data allowance each month gets rolled over and you can build it up for holidays. You can also increase your allowance for a month to 3gb or 5gb and revert back to the basic 1gb the next month.

We have a 3 MiFi device on contract at £15 per month with the intention of using up the 60 day allowance and then buying the 12month, 12gb sim card. for future use until the 'clock' starts again after 12 months. Having taken it to Tenerife, various parts of the Netherlands, Belgium, Holland and now France. I wont bother buying the 12gm sim card. Why? it's rubbish! You talk about throttling back, ok, I accept I wont get the speeds I got in the UK, but when the speeds are at BEST 36kbps and as low as no connection and consistently as low as 24kbps and these has been in more than a dozen different locations, most by a town or city, so not not in the middle of nowhere. I phoned 3 to complain and the customer service was sympathetic with my cause and said there was nothing to be done. He did suggest I try different service providers, which I did to no avail. As a gesture of goodwill, they knocked £10 off my next bill. Wow!

So, I wouldn't bother, fortunately the MiFi is unlocked so I will buy a data sim card for the country I am in, as long as I don't have to prove residence that is! Thank goodness for free camp site WiFi!

just thought i would put my two pennorth in, i use 3 when abroad, it is crap for video streaming etc, but i only use it for banking emails etc,and it is good, 12gb £25 activate UK just to make sure, the 60 day allowance is not what you think it is 60 days useage! so if you use it 3 days a week, that is 3 days, if you then don't use it for 2 days it doesn't count, so you can be abroad for 6 month and it will still work, when you go on it a tally of what you have used comes up, it is simple,used it in norway,germany spain france etc it is good for general things,no idea on roaming tarrifs cos i'm on pay as you go with BT and it is 5p a min anywhere even abroad so that will do for me! and i am posting on the 12gb sim 12month which is 2 month longer than the permitted time and 13gb in usage

regards Jonathan

Come June 15th when the rules re EU roaming change, Three will likely find themselves in trouble if they continue to artificially throttle the speeds of customers abroad. Up until then, what they are doing is perfectly OK, and has allowed them to offer free roaming abroad well in advance of the rules changing - 3 years odd?

Three feel at home covers non EU countries incl Switzerland, USA and Australia. Of these Switzerland will be of interest to most motorhomers, and the new EU roaming rules dont cover Switzerland.

I'll prob ditch my three sim card (which lives in my tablet) and add another 'shared sim' to my existing EE monthly contract (10GB/month). Adding a new sim to an existing account with EE costs £7/month. If I ever visit switzerland then a local sim, wifi or three payg card will likely suffice.

From EE:

"great news, your mobile plan is getting even better! From 15th June you'll get free EU roaming. You'll be able to take all your UK data, minutes and texts to use anywhere in the EU at no extra cost. Perfect if you want to post a selfie from the beach or find your way around with maps."

Nigel

DJP - 2017-05-19 8:06 PM

For the 2 days NON usage the phone must be turned off. If it's left on and you don't use it. the days are still counted.

As I will have the SIM in a MiFi modem and routinely carry the device with the battery removed I'll be fine.

I think Three are also extending as from September the number of countries (non Euro) where the 'At home' costs will now apply, so if like me you have a contract with 'free' minutes/texts etc, then that will apply to even more countries. Definitely a plus benefit from Three of you travel ..

Archived