Travel insurance (Health)

peterjl

Hi everybody.

I know this has come up before but I feel as if I am going in circles.

We usually limit any one trip to 60 days so that we stay in touch with our grandchildren. Total time away in any one year is usually less than 120 days. All fine thus far.

We have three trips planned total about 160days with one trip 88 days. Now we are over 65 that is making it difficult to find a multi trip policy that allows this.

Once over mid 60's ( exact age varies) policies seem to limit any onevtrip to 60 days or less. Those that give longer trips seem to limit total time away over year to 120 days.

So I am looking for a reputable company that gives 180 days away in year wth any one trip up to 90 days.

I have googled but all the companies that come up seem to have a limitation on one or the other for over 65's. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Any suggestions.

I may have to get a single trip policy for my longer trip if all else fails but I begrudge to costs of single trip policies.

Peter

Hello Peter,

My wife and I are both 65+ and both have what insurers consider as serious medical pre-conditions.

I have spoken with many Insurance companies and brokers and have not been able to find any company that would cover us for a trip of more than 65 days.

The best cover and value I could find was with National Federation of Occupational Pensioners (www.nfop.org.uk).

You need to be a member (£30.66 pa joint members) and between 50 and 79yrs to get insurance. Once in the insurance scheme the is no age limit. The insurance is Worldwide, no questions asked, no medical screening, just need to be fit to travel. Covers a total of 183 days per year and any one trip up to 65 days (Canada/USA 45 days) Also gives 17 days winter sports.

Premiums are single person £185. Couple £255. Renews in March each year.

Best of luck finding cover suitable for you. If you do find cover for up to 90 days please let us know.

Peter

We have no problem with getting insurance through Nationwide we have annual for maximum 90 days any one trip ! Health problems and now 80 . Lots of companies restrict at 70. Have been a banker with Nationwide for 50 plus years.

There must be other companies that insure you at under 70.

Once you get a company , best idea to stick with them.

Would not go with SAGA ! Not sure they will do annual anyway over 70.

PJay

Colinsburgh - 2017-04-29 4:48 PM

Hello Peter,

My wife and I are both 65+ and both have what insurers consider as serious medical pre-conditions.

I have spoken with many Insurance companies and brokers and have not been able to find any company that would cover us for a trip of more than 65 days.

The best cover and value I could find was with National Federation of Occupational Pensioners (www.nfop.org.uk).

You need to be a member (£30.66 pa joint members) and between 50 and 79yrs to get insurance. Once in the insurance scheme the is no age limit. The insurance is Worldwide, no questions asked, no medical screening, just need to be fit to travel. Covers a total of 183 days per year and any one trip up to 65 days (Canada/USA 45 days) Also gives 17 days winter sports.

Best of luck finding cover suitable for you. If you do find cover for up to 90 days please let us know.

Peter

This seems almost to good to be true, have you ever used them?

rupert123 - 2017-04-29 8:04 PM

Hello Peter,

Peter

Rupert,

Yes I thought so to until I checked out their website. I'm a member. NFOP insurance is covered by Civil Service Insurance.

Peter

Colinsburgh - 2017-04-30 2:56 PM

rupert123 - 2017-04-29 8:04 PM

Hello Peter,

Peter

Rupert,

Yes I thought so to until I checked out their website. I'm a member. NFOP insurance is covered by Civil Service Insurance.

Peter

OK Peter, many thanks, sounds like an ideal setup for me.

Hi

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have looked at NAOP, no details of policy on website but the comment above suggests any one trip limited to 65 days so I have had to drop that one.

I am with saga at the moment but maximum days away in year is limited to 120 which is odd as their M/home policy gives unlimited time in Europe. Any 120 days is not enough so they don't work.

I have looked throug the C&CC policy and I am impressed. Time away is good, 185 days, and the range of activities is also good. I may have to pay a premium for mountain biking but that is not unusual. Unfortunately cannot get a quote on line so I will have to phone Tuesday.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Peter

Colinsburgh - 2017-04-30 5:25 PM

For those interested, full details of NFOP travel insurance can be found here:

http://www.nfoptravelinsurance.org.uk/

http://www.nfoptravelinsurance.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/NFOP_Policy-Booklet_FINAL_V5.pdf

Peter

Thank you for this Peter. I have a critical condition age 69 and tripped over NFOP some months ago. I thought you had to be ex Civil Service but thanks to you I re-read the details. I'll be applying shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
Since my husband turned 70 ( now 76 and I am 60), we have used LV for 90 days to include several pre-existing conditions. They work out the cheapest but recommended by Which. If you want more than 90 days then we have used staysure but for single trip up to 6 months. Hope this helps too. Chris

Archived