MUGUK strikes again......

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2017-05-02 7:24 PM

John52 - 2017-05-02 12:39 PM

(he posts links in his next post)

.....Just a link to a USA ex lags website (lol) .........

What part of 'he posts links in his next post' didn't you understand *-)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bop - 2017-05-02 10:05 AM

John52 - 2017-05-01 7:43 PM

But statistically one group tops them all - Armed Forces Servicemen. :-(

John,

Could you post-up a link for any published stats (official or unofficial) which supports your note above.

Cheers,

Andrew

Didn't keep ther link where I read soldiers top the statistics for domestic violence and prison. But a quick google brought this:

'I've been all over the statistics of domestic abuse. I suspect you won't see that because it covers all classes and economic statuses, apparently equally. There are some statistics that show that black women are at higher risk, but as to occupation, I don't think it matters much. You can be a painter or a CEO or a dock-worker and the odds seem not to differ much. Tne place that it does seem to make a difference is police officers and the military - those households seem statistically to suffer 20-40% more DV.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-527315.html

Cheers John,

There has been specific years in the military whereby the number of assaults which were instigated by a military dependent (spouse in this instance) have been exceeded by those that were started by service personnel. It seems that those civvi-types are quite aggressive :-)

All the best,

Andrew

Violet1956 - 2017-05-02 6:07 PM

. A while ago I volunteered at the Crisis at Christmas project in London. It was tragic how many ex-servicemen were homeless. When sober they were gentlemen- when drunk they were obviously too hard for their families to live with.

Veronica

Unfortunately I have experienced similar. We have charities for the old, the young, for women, for ex services, etc. I support the local homeless shelter and food bank because it does not discriminate against people because of their age, sex, or where they worked. Its open for everybody on the basis of need.

And I agree with what Princess Diana said to the Queen when the Queen was concerned about her getting involved in controversial charities like Aids and shaking hands with Aids victims to show they are not lepers. The Queen wanted Diana to get involved in one of the 'nicer' Royal charities like the RSPCA or the RSPB. But Diana said she would support animal charities when there are no more people charities.

I've come to forget the number of countries where I've worked that has wife battering/torture/honour killing/suppression as part of their intrinsic cultures.

We are so fortunate to live in the UK and I for one will never take blighty for granted.

Bop - 2017-05-03 8:58 AM

I've come to forget the number of countries where I've worked that has wife battering/torture/honour killing/suppression as part of their intrinsic cultures.

We are so fortunate to live in the UK and I for one will never take blighty for granted.

They are just several hundred years behind Britain where that was commonplace. But our freedoms were won by political activists like the Chartists and Suffragettes at great personal risk . Who are largely unrecognised as the state likes to pretend our freedoms were won by their royalty and military leaders who they honour by building statues to *-)

Bop - 2017-05-03 8:30 AM

John,

Could you post-up a link for any published stats (official or unofficial) which supports your note above.

Cheers,

Andrew

Didn't keep ther link where I read soldiers top the statistics for domestic violence and prison. But a quick google brought this:

'I've been all over the statistics of domestic abuse. I suspect you won't see that because it covers all classes and economic statuses, apparently equally. There are some statistics that show that black women are at higher risk, but as to occupation, I don't think it matters much. You can be a painter or a CEO or a dock-worker and the odds seem not to differ much. Tne place that it does seem to make a difference is police officers and the military - those households seem statistically to suffer 20-40% more DV.

Cheers John,

There has been specific years in the military whereby the number of assaults which were instigated by a military dependent (spouse in this instance) have been exceeded by those that were started by service personnel. It seems that those civvi-types are quite aggressive :-)

All the best,

Andrew

I'm not firing on any cylinders today. My post doesn't read right; what I meant to say is that in some years the soldiers were beaten up more by their wives than the other way around .......... Oooooooops, I must try harder (that reminds me of my school report).

Bop - 2017-05-03 9:07 AM

John,

Cheers,

Andrew

Cheers John,

All the best,

Andrew

I'm not firing on any cylinders today. My post doesn't read right; what I meant to say is that in some years the soldiers were beaten up more by their wives than the other way around .......... Oooooooops, I must try harder (that reminds me of my school report).

It can be that it only comes to outside attention when the wife tries to protect herself because she can only do it by picking up a weapon and causing serious injury.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-05-03 8:27 AM

......and what does posting links to loony lefty American websites, prove about UK servicemen being 20% more likely to commit domestic violence? *-) ........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-05-03 9:21 AM

John,

Cheers,

Andrew

Cheers John,

All the best,

Andrew

It can be that it only comes to outside attention when the wife tries to protect herself because she can only do it by picking up a weapon and causing serious injury.

Yeah that must be why my ex wife stabbed me :-| .........

Nothing to do with her being a paranoid schizophrenic *-) .........

pelmetman - 2017-05-03 11:54 AM

......and what does posting links to loony lefty American websites, prove about UK servicemen being 20% more likely to commit domestic violence? *-) ........

OK then a UK website;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/sep/24/jailed-veteran-servicemen-outnumber-troops

its even in the Daily Mail;

Daily Mail One in eight service personnel has attacked someone in a rage after returning from the battlefield. Wives and partners are often the victims...........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2178176/One-soldiers-attacked-coming-home-war-research-shows.html

pelmetman - 2017-05-03 11:57 AM

her being a paranoid schizophrenic *-) .........

For all I know you could be right about that. But it would be easier to believe you if you weren't in the habit of deriding people who present evidence you don't agree with as being 'loony lefties' etc.

..and If she'd have been a bit "foreign looking", or a bit "brownish", your Daily Mail et al, would've probably covered the story and labelled it a "terror" attack. *-)

John52 - 2017-05-03 9:21 AM

John,

Cheers,

Andrew

Cheers John,

All the best,

Andrew

It sounds terrible to say John but some of the squaddie wives are feisty things and often instigate the issues at home, often through discontentment with the crap lives they live as service dependants. If you then mix this with a soldier that has stress issues then up goes goes the fireworks.

pepe63 - 2017-05-03 12:58 PM

..and If she'd have been a bit "foreign looking", or a bit "brownish", your Daily Mail et al, would've probably covered the story and labelled it a "terror" attack. *-)

All Beano readers got one of these free inside a copy of their favourite comic. The easy to read visual aid helps 'em identify 'the enemy'.

225707223_IDThreatChecker.jpg.406df783d931ff3422949049b593cf42.jpg

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-05-03 12:30 PM

pelmetman - 2017-05-03 11:54 AM

OK then a UK website;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/sep/24/jailed-veteran-servicemen-outnumber-troops

its even in the Daily Mail;

Daily Mail One in eight service personnel has attacked someone in a rage after returning from the battlefield. Wives and partners are often the victims...........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2178176/One-soldiers-attacked-coming-home-war-research-shows.html

So no mention that 20% of domestic violence crimes are committed by ex servicemen? :-| ..........

Guest pelmetman
Bop - 2017-05-03 1:27 PM

It sounds terrible to say John but some of the squaddie wives are feisty things and often instigate the issues at home, often through discontentment with the crap lives they live as service dependants. If you then mix this with a soldier that has stress issues then up goes goes the fireworks.

You should've met some of the ones my matelote mates got hooked by 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2017-05-03 3:31 PM

So no mention that 20% of domestic violence crimes are committed by ex servicemen? :-| ..........

Nope - nobody has said that said that far as I am aware. Where did you get that from?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-05-03 3:37 PM

Nope - nobody has said that said that far as I am aware. Where did you get that from?

I probably recall it from one of your previous posts where you were having a dig at our armed forces yet again *-) ........

But considering you posted this.......

"John52 - 2017-05-01 7:43 PM

But statistically one group tops them all - Armed Forces Servicemen."

The 20% is probably a underestimate in your view? :-| .........

pelmetman - 2017-05-03 3:50 PM

I probably recall it from one of your previous posts where you were having a dig at our armed forces yet again *-) ........

Do you have a link to it - nope thought not *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-05-03 3:59 PM

pelmetman - 2017-05-03 3:50 PM

Do you have a link to it - nope thought not *-)

Nope..........But you're the one who said........ "But statistically one group tops them all - Armed Forces Servicemen." ;-) .......

So perhaps you could remind me, just what the statistics are? :-| .......

I have ex-service friends, colleagues and family members who are some of the most grounded, sorted and wonderful people I know. We would do well not to overstate the problems that there are with those who are not in that category. Respect and gratitude is their due as is affording those amongst them who are not so fortunate every possible assistance.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-05-03 5:25 PM

I have ex-service friends, colleagues and family members who are some of the most grounded, sorted and wonderful people I know. We would do well not to overstate the problems that there are with those who are not in that category. Respect and gratitude is their due as is affording those amongst them who are not so fortunate every possible assistance.

Veronica

Totally agree. I know a fair few ex service people as well. Even if it is true that they top the charts in domestic abuse then it shows that more assistance and care should be provided in domestic environments especially for those that are trying to settle back into civilian life. If their partners back home are finding it tough as well then they too should be afforded more help.

Lets face it being in the military these last few decades has certainly been more demanding, dangerous and stressful than ever before. No way should these brave men and women end up on the street either. Im a big supported of Help for Heroes, they do a great job but they shouldn't have to really. Im not going to knock service personal for violence away from the field of battle either. Its something our government needs to spend some resource and money on if its becoming a problem.

Barryd999 - 2017-05-03 5:46 PM

No way should these brave men and women end up on the street either..

Neither should anyone else. But when you have charities exclusively for the young/old/ex military/etc, its even harder for those who fall outside those exclusive groups. So I support charities like the local foodbank/shelter who assess people on the basis of their need, not just who they used to work for etc

Violet1956 - 2017-05-03 5:25 PM

I have ex-service friends, colleagues and family members who are some of the most grounded, sorted and wonderful people I know.

Veronica

Absolutely. My Grandads, Father, Uncles and everyone else I know who served in the world wars did not come back in the least bit violent. Gentlemen every one. So whats gone wrong with those who do?

Archived