Exchange rates in France

Caddies104

Hi

Off to France soon and need to get some Euros, but was wondering if we took Sterling would we get a better rate once over there. Getting around 1.156 € here.. Also have Singapore Dollars and if changed over here they would change to Sterling then change to Euro so would lose out twice, so may change in France to Euro anyway, must be better??

Any ideas?

The Euro seems to be hovering around 1.180/1.185 at the moment.

We always seem to get a comparable rate using our Nationwide debit plus card at a French hole in the wall. Normally keep a float of a 100 Euro to get us through the first few days.

I also use a Nationwide Flexplus debit card, gives very good rates and no commission. However if you use the debit card to buy anything eg diesel there is a charge, I use my NW credit card for that.

Incidently Flexplus gives you travel insurance and breakdown cover.

See my post regarding 'Recovery for Vans over 7m)

PS don't work for Nationwide but have banked with them for over 30 years

Hi

Thanks for reply, the stock exchange rate is 1.18, but cannot get near that, have a lloyds debit but they will always charge for using abroad. So was interested what the banks in France would give for exchanging Sterling, if anyone was there at present...

Used to have the Cash passport, on MasterCard, but Some garages and most tolls did not accept it.

We also use Nationwide credit for everything in France, never had a problem apart from my card is wearing out (lol)

You should get the actual exchange rate at the time of transaction so it is better than cash for us.

Hi

We use Santander credit card which uses commercial exchange rates and does not charge for overseas use. I back up with Caxton card to draw cash from machines.

I reckon that we get better rates than can be purchased for cash either in uk or abroad.

Peter

A potential downside of the Nationwide FlexPlus account is that there’s a £10 monthly fee.

The terms and conditions of Nationwide credit cards vary, but I believe there will always be an unavoidable ‘overhead’ for using them to obtain euros from an ATM.

Similarly with Santander cards - obtaining cash abroad will potentially involve a fee and/or interest being imposed.

If I’m careful I can avoid fees/charges for foreign ATM cash withdrawals by using my elderly Santander Zero credit card and then on-line clearing the ‘debt’ as soon as possible afterwards. (I’m pretty sure you can use a similar method with Halifax’s “Clarity” credit card.)

It’s perhaps woth mentioning that French ATMs seem to increasingly issue €50 notes, which can subsequently be a pain. The ATM will normally indicate the denomination of notes issued (eg. €10, €20 and €50) and - as French highstreet ‘banks’ either don’t keep cash or won’t exchange €50 notes for smaller values - if you get €50 notes you may be stuck with them for a while. French supermarket ATMs seem to more commonly issue notes just in €10 and €20 denominations.

As I mentioned in my earlier post about NW, use debit for cash withdrawals and credit for purchases, no fees or commissions. Just make sure to pay in local currency.

True there is a £10 monthly fee but that saves me buying travel insurance and breakdown cover. (+mobile insurance and an extra year's cover on appliances)

Hi

Thanks for all the posts, too late to change credit card, our debit card unfortunately will charge, but does give us free travel insurance, car breakdown cover etc, and no monthly fee..

So either will take all our Euros with us, or take Sterling and change in France if the rate is good over there..

Derek Uzzell - 2017-05-03 2:16 PM

Similarly with Santander cards - obtaining cash abroad will potentially involve a fee and/or interest being imposed.

Hi

I agree that there is a charge if you use a Santander credit card to withdraw cash but I am not charged for purchases abroad. That charge is universal for credit cards used for cash withdrawals.

Cash withdrawal without fee is where Caxton scores.

Peter

Derek Uzzell - 2017-05-03 2:16 PM

A potential downside of the Nationwide FlexPlus account is that there’s a £10 monthly fee.

The terms and conditions of Nationwide credit cards vary, but I believe there will always be an unavoidable ‘overhead’ for using them to obtain euros from an ATM.

If I’m careful I can avoid fees/charges for foreign ATM cash withdrawals by using my elderly Santander Zero credit card and then on-line clearing the ‘debt’ as soon as possible afterwards. (I’m pretty sure you can use a similar method with Halifax’s “Clarity” credit card.)

It’s perhaps woth mentioning that French ATMs seem to increasingly issue €50 notes, which can subsequently be a pain. The ATM will normally indicate the denomination of notes issued (eg. €10, €20 and €50) and - as French highstreet ‘banks’ either don’t keep cash or won’t exchange €50 notes for smaller values - if you get €50 notes you may be stuck with them for a while. French supermarket ATMs seem to more commonly issue notes just in €10 and €20 denominations.

FYI, I recently took 2 x 50E notes into a Super U, the service desk changed them for 3 x 20 and 4 x10, no problem.

rooster63 - 2017-05-03 3:54 PM

As I mentioned in my earlier post about NW, use debit for cash withdrawals and credit for purchases, no fees or commissions. Just make sure to pay in local currency.

True there is a £10 monthly fee but that saves me buying travel insurance and breakdown cover. (+mobile insurance and an extra year's cover on appliances)

Last time I checked nationwide website, I'm sure there was a 1.5 percent fee for ATM withdrawals with the flex plus card. & don't forget you get 3% interest on the first £2,500 so I get 6 odd quid back a month.

Charles - 2017-05-04 3:53 PM

Last time I checked nationwide website, I'm sure there was a 1.5 percent fee for ATM withdrawals with the flex plus card. & don't forget you get 3% interest on the first £2,500 so I get 6 odd quid back a month.

Commission free according to this link for Nationwide FlexPlus debit card account http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/fees-charges#xtab:foreignCash

Robbo - 2017-05-04 7:34 PM

Charles - 2017-05-04 3:53 PM

Commission free according to this link for Nationwide FlexPlus debit card account http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/fees-charges#xtab:foreignCash

Cool, thanks. Think our FX card will be going in the bin :)

Archived