Campervan and Motorhome?

Len Salisbury

Getting blurred.

Traditionally a Campervan is small has limited facilities no washroom, perhaps no heating or insulation very small or no fixed water tanks and indeed such a vehicle can still be purchased. To my mind a Campervan would be a Panel Van Conversion (PVC)

However the Campervan I have now is small (5.4 metres long) but has every facility a larger motorhome has

including good insulation a full washroom and great heating Additionally PVCs are being built on longer and longer chassis nowadays and may be over 3.5 tonnes but still campervans in character.

A working definition is that a teenager thinks a campervan is funky but a motorhome is for geriatrics. :-D :-D

The way I look at it is a campervan is a complete van which has been converted to function as a motorhome and a motorhome has a coach built body built onto a rolling chassis with a cab. i think the reason for the blurring of the two is that campervans can be longer than coachbuilts and coachbuilts can be almost as narrow as a campervan.

Don636 - 2017-05-13 7:06 PM

The way I look at it is a campervan is a complete van which has been converted to function as a motorhome and a motorhome has a coach built body built onto a rolling chassis with a cab. i think the reason for the blurring of the two is that campervans can be longer than coachbuilts and coachbuilts can be almost as narrow as a campervan.

SO A class vans are campervans then??

i though they where just the same. just called different

It's a van you camp it, or it's a motor you live?? Though not sure it would be a "Home"

PJay

I admit that I am biased being a PVC owner, however our previous motorhome was coachbuilt.

I prefer the traditional definition as given above by HymerVan. That is that a campervan has only basic accommodation, while a motorhome has full facilities, which must include toilet and shower, together with waste and fresh water holding tanks. The term motorhome should be used to describe a vehicle that is fully self contained, while a lesser equipped vehicle is a campervan. To me the method of construction is of secondary importance.

Using the above definitions could help the general public understand what a motorhome is, and perhaps be of help to those members of our community who are campaining for the provision of aires.

Alan

Alanb - 2017-05-14 6:47 PM

I admit that I am biased being a PVC owner, however our previous motorhome was coachbuilt.

Alan

I'm sorry Alan, it's more complicated than we care to admit.

Our "bespoke" van is a pvc, but I consider it to be a "campervan" despite the fact that it has a fixed longitudinal bed, toilet, shower, hob,sink, waste water system and under slung refillable gas system, and loads of storage.

We use it for camping, on campsites, and in between trips we live in a house, which we call our "home"

I think it's all in the head, an attitude.

Not planning to change my terminology,

Regards

Alan b (snowie)

George.. - 2017-05-16 4:18 PM

The French call them "Camping cars"

That'e the French version. Not sure where the "cars" bit come in though!

I think the Brits do not distinguish between Couch built and PVC vans. At the end of the day, does it matter?

PJay

You are parked at the side of the road.

If someone taps on your window and asks if you are delivering their parcel from Amazon - you are in a panel van.

If they ask for two ice creams - you are in a coachbuilt.

;-)

malc d - 2017-05-17 10:31 AM

You are parked at the side of the road.

If someone taps on your window and asks if you are delivering their parcel from Amazon - you are in a panel van.

If they ask for two ice creams - you are in a coachbuilt.

;-)

(lol) ha ha made me chuckle that one

Motorhome has full facilities: Bed, Toilet, shower, sink, heating, hot and cold running water, insulation, cooker, fridge, fresh and waste tanks.

Campervan is lacking some of the above.

Body type A class, coachbuilt, PVC etc has no relevance.

There are coachbuilt campervans and PVC Motorhomes, for instance, I would consider the compact AutoSleeper Topaz to be a motorhome rather than a campervan due to full facilities, while some of the smaller coachbuilt Romahomes would count as campervans.

That's my take on it anyway!

Whatever you have, use it and enjoy it!

Nigel

Robbo - 2017-05-17 12:15 PM

To me, the term "Motorhome" seems a bit ostentatious.

I'll stick with campervan or camping car (when in mainland Europe) :-D

Know what you mean!

The F1 drivers have massive motorhomes, at the Grand Prix

PJay

Archived