Propane gas bottle to butane

Pepper97

According our rules it might be the case that your motor-home can work on both butane and propane bottles. See your motor-home manual for this. In any case the gas regulator on your gas containers is different using butane or propane. Seeing the gas market in the UK and that motor homers are not aware what they have or what they buy i surrender. In 100 percent purity propane and butane are different, Check their data sheets. As Derek pointed out before your trade mix gas is different in relation to propane and butane mixtures.In case of LPG. Our trade propane is higher than butane in kWh/kg. Sorry about your BTU/h.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-05-17 5:38 PM

In any case the gas regulator on your gas containers is different using butane or propane..

That may be the case where you live but not in the UK. In the UK motorhomes have a fixed-mounted regulator on the bulkhead in the gas-locker which is suitable for either Propane or Butane.

I pointed this out to you in a previous reply and Derek subsequently explained this is in greater detail.

Regardless of that, however, your previous references to the Wobbe Index was not relevant as to whether it is safe to change from one gas to the other, and neither was it designed for such a purpose.

Ultra fine detail or not i see it this way: A butane bottle you leave better at home, because it is not suitable below minis 0.5 deg c. LPG is mixture of propane and butane and can have more detrimental effect on you equipment than a propane be cause it is more wet in the gas phase after the pressure regulator. Have you noticed this when you disconnect the couplings? Have you noticed that the rubber tubing has a different color in case of different gases? And that has nothing to do whit pressure. In case of bottles do you close the connection by hand or a tool? And if you enter the continent why is this important? If i visit the uk on festival sites i see gas bottles never be to be connected to my motor-home. Trade propane here is 13.83 kWh/kg and butane 13.62. close but you lost. :-D

Derek Uzzell - 2017-05-18 10:30 AM

Rather than argue over semantics and ultra-fine detail, it would be nice to know whether Martin (the original poster) was able to identify the cause of his gas-related problem and if it was satisfactorily overcome.

Derek

Thanks, I still haven't resolved the issue. I've been to a camping shop in Spain now, and he wasn't sure either. Can I just confirm that the 'bulkhead' that everyone refers to , is this the regulator fixed to my MH? Also if I do have this then should I just have the tap adaptor connected to my camping gaz bottle? As per your lower picture. Someone on the campsite had a look and wasn't sure , but he said you shouldn't have a regulator at both ends. I.e. The blue 29bar regulator I attached to the bottle then hose connecting to the MH regulator (bulkhead). If this is the case then that's where I've been going wrong!

Thanks

Martin

Pepper97 - 2017-05-18 10:53 PM

...but he said you shouldn't have a regulator at both ends. I.e. The blue 29mbar regulator I attached to the bottle then hose connecting to the MH regulator (bulkhead).

Correct.

Pepper97 - 2017-05-18 10:53 PM

...If this is the case then that's where I've been going wrong!

Thanks

Martin

Yes.

Get your self the 'Adapter' to replace the blue 29 mbar regulator and it should all work.

Keith.

Martin

Campingaz regulators come in various colours (and the regulated pressure will be around 29mbar not 29bar)

There is a blue 29mbar example here

http://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/equipment/114799-campingaz-regulator.html

Anyway (as Keith has just advised and as has been said before) you need a ‘full pressure’ adapter on your Campingaz 907 bottle and the appropriate high-pressure gas-hose (‘pigtail’) to connect that adapter to your motorhome’s ‘fixed’ bulkhead-mounted regulator.

I’m concerned as to what you did to allow you to connect the 29mbar Campingaz regulator to the bulkhead-mounted regulator.

To connect the full-pressure adapter to the bulkhead-mounted regulator you MUST USE a proper high-pressure gas-hose with a threaded fitting at each end (photo attached).

1570424841_butanehose.jpg.2b234de26d57dfac0cfbd1be063640c9.jpg

I finally have the capability to shrink the photo size. So here is the set up that I was faced. I since have learned that the TWO regulators aren't required, but just for interest here are the pics.

Thanks

Martin

Propane.jpg.391e8a29b845249285830b896b211900.jpg

Bulkhead.jpg.c5b5e6253a9ec38c6357d8e895f2fb8f.jpg

Bhutane.jpg.c44eacb203ec870ce6c97e1b8c67d3c2.jpg

Archived