Box trailers

Pete-B

Hi, I'm looking for some advice about box trailers and in particular, one which would be suitable to carry a motor bike.

At present I'm using a Brenderup open trailer which I've converted to carry our two electric bikes. Basically, I bought a new Brenderup trailer and being an ex engineer and metal fabricator I was able to construct a hinged solid top from exterior ply which I faced with aluminium checker plate. I then converted a two bike tow ball carried which I bolted to the top. I did this in such a way that I'm able to hinge it out onto two legs, load the bikes, then fold it back onto the trailer. I then built a tubular metal frame which goes over the bikes and which I'm able to lift on and off. I bought some sheeting, the sort that's used for lorry curtain sides, and made a fitted cover.

So in effect I have the storage space in the trailer and two lecky bikes on top and it's still within the trailer payload and way within the tow ball nose weight limit.

This all works wonderfully well but my wife is finding it more and more difficult to ride her bike these days so I'm considering going back to a motorbike.

I'm thinking, if I sold my trailer and bought a small box trailer I could load the bike and still have space to carry light bulky items like our sun loungers and table etc which take up too much space in our van. when travelling.

Hence my original question, if anyone has any experience of certain box trailers, or advice I would very much appreciate it

Pete,

There was an article in a very recent MMM written by Clive Mott where he had a purpose built box trailer made to carry his motorbike. He went through his decision making process and thoughts on different trailer manufacturers and designs.

Do you subscribe to MMM? If not I'll have a look for my copy later.

Keith.

PS Clive has a pretty good website... http://www.motts.org/MOTORHOMES.htm but no mention of a trailer that I can see :(

Guest pelmetman

Don't make the mistake I made *-) .......

I bought a brand new lovely big box trailer, then discovered something called "Gross Train Weight" 8-) .......and although I could've legally towed it.....

I couldn't put anything in it :$ ......

Hi P,

Thanks for your weights warning. The gross train weight on my van is, 5100Kgs the recommended trailer weight is 1600Kgs.

At the moment I'm looking at a Tickner box trailer which as MGW 500Kgs and a payload of 360Kgs. The bike I'm looking to get has a gross weight of 130Kgs so hopefully should be OK.

All this is subject to me selling my trailer so if anyone's interested get in touch.

Archived