Where do you get your motorhome fixed in Gatwick area?

Lizzie

Our fan needs replacing. The place we get our MOT done (Webbers) will not do this and said we need to get an auto elctrician. We are having some trouble with this because the mobile one we found cannot fix it without a ramp - long story. So, does anyone know of a garage near Gatwick where we can get this done?

Lizzie, I'm confused !!! What fan are you referring to? Is it:

A) fan in the heater/air conditioning matrix

B) fan belt in the engine

If A you probably need an auto electrician but unlikely to need a ramp;

If B you probably need a normal garage with a hoist/ramp.

Lizzie,

Have a look if there are any garages listed near Gatwick in the MMM Parking and Base Vehicle Servicing Guide.

Here is last years...

http://www.browseandread.co.uk/mmm-parking-guide/files/assets/basic-html/index.html#1

Or a link to the article if the direct link doesn't work...

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/the-mmm-guide-to-motorhome-parking

Keith.

It is a double fan which cools air con and engine. We have the part now so may ask Webbers again if this makes a difference. THe mobile auto electrician may be ble to fix it with the help of a mate who has a ramp he can use. I am just worried that if this cannot be co-ordinated (plans went wrong on the first attempt) that we have a van with no fan so not able to take it away in 5 weeks. We are away for the next week without van visiting family so that leaves only 4 weeks.

I remembered there were a couple of people who use this forum who lived over Gatwick,way where we store the van, and wondered where they went. It seems there are a few places who do not want to fix motorhomes - probably partly the age of ours, 02, and the height - they need the head space when van is raised. But there are lots of motorhomes out there, some of which are quite old and they must be getting fixed somewhere! Or do folks with old vans do their own repairs?

Hi Lizzie

Is there a Fiat commercial garage near you? We takes ours to Adams Morley in Portsmouth, so only an 1 from you. You do need a Commercial garage . Our van looks small when in their garage, against the giant lorries. Height no problem!! AND of course they have the right tools (hopefully)

PJay

You could try Halltech (Small family garage just north of Horsham) They will tackle most jobs other than one offs where special tools are needed to be purchased.

We have used them for all our vehicles over a number of years.

Rgds

Lizzie, it sounds like you have diagnosed the fault concerning the non-functioning radiator and aircon fans.

So, who carried out the diagnosis and what was the recommended solution to the problem? Replace burnt-out fans, replace electrical sensors, diagnose faulty 12v supply, check faulty switches etc.

You now want some automotive establishment to fit the new part for you (for which you have already purchased).

This might prove difficult as some garages will refuse to fit parts previously purchased by customers.

I've used Eurovans in Crawley in the past for servicing and repair work. They tend to be a tad expensive and I have had a few problems with them. I now use Sutton & East Surrey Water, located in Redhill 01737 785808. The latter garage service a fleet of vans so should be able to fix your problem - also, they are reasonable in price and probably would be OK to fit a previously bought part.

Robbo we did not diagonse the fault. It is a little complicated: The auto electrician diagnosed fault and said we needed the new double fan and he was going to do it. It's a long story but the arrangements went wrong. We may still be able to get him to do it but if not, I want a back up. In theory the part could go back as it was bought on a sale or return basis.

Thank you to those who gave suggestions of other places. We will see what they can do. Fingers crossed - husband getting very fed up with motorhome (something I have wanted for 20+ years! One year in and things are not straight forward ...)

Archived