Towing eye. Could you make one?

Barryd999

The earliest on-line Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook is for 2005 models. That Handbook refers to there being (on van models) two ‘fixed’ metal loop-type towing eyes.

The front eye was fixed to the chassis on the left side (UK nearside) of the vehicle, with a ‘cut-away’ in the lower edge of the front bumper to allow a tow-rope/bar to be attached. The drawing in the Handbook suggests that, if the cut-away in the bumper is located, the towing-eye should easily be visible.

The Boxer/Ducato/Relay bumper was revised in 2002, but there’s a photo of a 1994-2001 bumper in this ebay advert

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bumper-front-dark-grey-Fiat-Ducato-Peugeot-Boxer-Jumper-Year-94-01-/111911294879

that matches the one on Barry’s Kon-Tiki (except his has been painted) and suggests that the same fixed-eye arrangement was used with the front towing-eye accessible through a hole (possibly masked by a removable plastic cover) in the bumper directly below the bumper attachment-bolt that Barry removed. (Keith referred to this in his posting of 1 June 2017 5:31 PM).

Keithl - 2017-06-02 10:50 AM

Barry,

Here is a frontal photo of a similar aged Kon-Tiki showing the eye protruding under the O/S mounting hole...

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/stock/2880/pixindex.html#

SO maybe we have been leading you to the wrong side?

Keith.

Thanks. Yes in one of those photos it does indeed show a towing eye right under the bumper on the drivers side. IVe been out again and had a look in case I really am going mad and there is nothing there and no hidden compartment under the other bolt hole either. Ive looked right along underneath and can find nothing.

There are 3 heavy looking bolts on either side underneath, is it possible an eye was bolted into one of those at some point and has been removed? I Cant think of any work thats been done there that would have required undoing it though? Had a new radiator a while back but thats all I Can think off.

Im taking it in to the garage shortly to see if they can unravel the mystery.

A result!!! :D

I think I have got to the bottom of it but I have you chaps to thank for your advice. As you say those bolts are not for a towing eye which my mechanic confirmed.

What I think has happened is at some point I had a new cross member fitted. When we looked online the cross member for that van has a towing eye attached to it. The old one must have had one and the replacement did not! With nowhere to screw in an eye (Which explains my trouble finding one for that van) I have been eyeless for several years (just been lucky I didnt need a forward tow).

However they have a body shop as well so he suggested taking it down there to have a word with the chief guy there who mumbled a bit, had a rummage through one of those big boxes of bits that mechanics seem to always have and produced what looked like a pretty hefty towing eye which he reckoned was off a Transit or something.

Out came the welding and grinding gear, a fair bit of further mumbling, swearing, grinding, sparks and welding (all very A Team) and I now have a permanent towing eye that looks like you could hang the van off. :D Ive even managed when I got home to fashion a towing rope out of some cut offs from a ratchet strap with the two ratchet hooks on either end.

Once again thanks for the valuable input.

Photo attached.

970185118_newtowingeye(Custom).jpg.b3d913d4436749db92d5b56c5bf5e43b.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-06-02 5:24 PM

I think I have got to the bottom of it but I have you chaps to thank for your advice. As you say those bolts are not for a towing eye which my mechanic confirmed.

What I think has happened is at some point I had a new cross member fitted. When we looked online the cross member for that van has a towing eye attached to it. The old one must have had one and the replacement did not! With nowhere to screw in an eye (Which explains my trouble finding one for that van) I have been eyeless for several years (just been lucky I didnt need a forward tow).

However they have a body shop as well so he suggested taking it down there to have a word with the chief guy there who mumbled a bit, had a rummage through one of those big boxes of bits that mechanics seem to always have and produced what looked like a pretty hefty towing eye which he reckoned was off a Transit or something.

Out came the welding and grinding gear, a fair bit of further mumbling, swearing, grinding, sparks and welding (all very A Team) and I now have a permanent towing eye that looks like you could hang the van off. :D Ive even managed when I got home to fashion a towing rope out of some cut offs from a ratchet strap with the two ratchet hooks on either end.

Photo attached.

Pleased to see Hank has joined Horace in being loud and proud about showing their eye in public B-) .......

All Hank need's now is a wash and polish ;-) .......

pelmetman - 2017-06-02 7:02 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-06-02 5:24 PM

Photo attached.

Pleased to see Hank has joined Horace in being loud and proud about showing their eye in public B-) .......

All Hank need's now is a wash and polish ;-) .......

Yep its a disgrace! :D you should see the roof. Booked in Friday for a full clean. Wot? Did you think I would do it myself? :D

Archived