Hymer Exsis I on a Transit

globebuster

I'd really like some more info on the above, but there doesn't seem to be much available on the 'net.

Does anyone own, or has previously owned one of these - circa 08/12 model?

I'm looking for some input - good or bad, on the Hymer and Transit [2.2/140hp] side of things

I rate the Transit, but have never experienced one on a coach-built before.

Any information would be useful.

Thanks.

Thanks Keith, yes I did read the article - but there appears to be very little else for me to go on.

What I was really hoping for was some owner based appraisal.

I've noted some early headlamp issues, the rest of the comments I've seen appear favourable, but without much depth.

Always worth asking though!

The MMM review was of a Exsis-I based on a Mk 7 Transit with 130bhp motor and 5-speed gearbox.

I note that you’ve said "Transit [2.2/140hp]” which will have a 6-speed gearbox. That motor/gearbox combination is the one to choose as the gear-ratios of the earlier 5-speed transmission are less than ideal for motorhome applications.

globebuster - 2017-06-01 8:04 PM

I wouldn't consider anything less than the 140/6 speed option. Unfortunately there seems very little info on that variant when combined with a motorhome.

Perhaps I'll get more luck on the Ford forum

I've got the 140/6 but it's a SWB PVC. The engine/ gearbox combo is great, albeit in a smaller van.

I've got one, a LHD 562 imported by Bundesvan. Mechanically it's fine. It's a 140, I think they all are, and while it's not as pokey as our previous 3 litre Fiat it's more than adequate. We tow a car in the UK and have no problems.

The hab side could be a lot better, although we purchased ours specifically because of it's low weight and good sub 3.5t payload. The swivel seats are very close together which makes them awkward to use. The storage space is limited, with the 'wardrobe' being to low to cope with anything on a hanging from the rail. Hymer fitted cheap and nasty blinds which have both the blind and netting coming down from the top and don't fully block out the light at the bottom. The bathromm is quite good, with a clever swing wall to form the shower. you have to stand in the shower tray to use the sink/toilet.

The narrow width, whilst a boon on some roads and parking areas makes the interior cramped, particularly backwards from the door. Likewise the sub 3m height reduces the headroom somewhat. It's worth noting that if you use the drop down bed as a double, it obscures the seats, and you need to carry an additional (supplied) mattress section which has to be stored separately.

Anything else let me know

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm.

Yes, I noted the seat situation - makes our current Ducato seem easy, we're used to the blind set up, as that's what we have currently.

I must admit [from the one I've viewed] the interior does seem a little on the 'budget' side for a Hymer.

The seller had both mattresses stacked on top of one another, with the clip in place, which did reduce the headroom as you entered the cab.

I might send you a PM if that's OK?

Appreciate the input...

emjaiuk - 2017-06-02 9:40 PM

globebuster - 2017-06-02 5:45 PM

Thanks - I've sent you a PM from here

I've tried to reply but it's just sitting in my outbox. any idea why?

PM's will sit in your Outbox until the recipient reads them then they move to your Sent folder. It's a quirk of this forum :-)

Keith.

starvin marvin - 2017-06-02 6:15 PM

Isn't there an owners club for that model? If so, that would be my first port of call.

I suspect that you are thinking of the previous model (original Exsis SK & SG) from 2003-6.

Many of us are still original owners of what we regard as a design classic and we have a dedicated website

At. freewebs.com/exsisowners

Archived