Tyre pressure monitors again

Armstrong2

Armstrong2

Years ago I emailed Rapido and Pilote and asked “Can the Truma gas-fuelled heating system fitted to your motorhomes be operated when the vehicle is being driven?” The reply from both companies was that the system could not be operated while the motorhome was being driven as doing so was illegal (in France).

What I had actually wanted to know was whether it was technically possible to run the Truma system while driving a Rapido or Pilote motorhome or (as I was aware that the practice was illegal in France at that time) whether Rapido/Pilote installed any sort of ‘inhibitor’ that allowed the heating system to be operated only when the vehicle was stopped with its ignition off (as UK motorhome manufacturers do regarding habitation-area 12V services).

When you mentioned in this recent thread that you were emailing Peugeot about altering the TPMS settings

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X290-tyre-pressure-reset-/40276/

I said

“...It’s plain from previous comments here and on other motorhome forums that the TPMS system fitted to Peugeot Boxers can be adjusted by a Peugeot agent to cope with driver-specified tyre pressures.

However, that doesn’t mean that every Peugeot agent will have the equipment and/or know-how to perform that task, or (as TPMS is a ‘safety’ system) will be willing to do it..."

“Cannot” means either ‘unable to’ or ‘not permitted to’. For example the statement “You cannot drive your Ferrari at 150mph in a 30mph-zone” indicates that this would not be permissible, not that the Ferrari (or the driver) would be unable to do this.

Your wish to choose the tyre-pressures yourself was also discussed here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Tyre-pressure-monitors-again/46926/

and Agaric’s posting of 27 April 2017 3:44 PM said

"The Peugeot Homologation and External Relations team have advised that 'The tyre pressures that the customer wishes to have (provided they have authorisation from the tyre manufacturer) can be recorded into the TPMS ECU. To do this the vehicle will need to go to an authorised repairer who has access to the diagnostic tool.' "

So altering a Peugeot Boxer’s originally-set TPMS pressure-settings clearly CAN be done, though not all Peugeot agents may have the necessary kit or knowledge of how to do it, or agents may well be reluctant to do it (as TPMS is a ‘safety’ system) without authorisation from Peugeot (who seemingly will authorise the procedure if the appropriate ‘team’ gets involved).

It’s a waste of effort repeatedly complaining about Peugeot’s (understandable) stance - what you need to find out is which Peugeot agents have successfully carried out the pressure-changing procedure on Boxers and then contact the agent nearest to you to have the task performed on your vehicle.

lizken

What owners of TPMS-fitted Peugeot Boxers really need if they wish to have the existing inflation-pressures altered is a list of firms that have carried out that procedure successfully.

It’s apparent from on-line comments that the pressures can be reduced at an owner’s request, and it would seem that it is (normally) necessary for a Peugeot main agent to carry out the ‘intervention’. But (as far as I’m aware) when a Peugeot main agent has modified the pressures, nobody has ever provided details of which Peugeot main agent did this...

Could you say, please, which Peugeot main dealer reduced your Accordo’s pressures and - if there was a charge - what the cost was?

Armstrong2 is clearly desperate to have his motorhome’s TPMS system adjusted and, if Peugeot agents that can/will do this can be identified, even if getting to such an agent would involve Armstrong2 travelling a considerable distance, he (Armstrong2) may still be prepared to make the trip.

Derek

In view of the conflicting responses from Peugeot dealers, apparently, I am not willing to state which main dealer adjusted the TPMS on my van. However, as they also said they could not do it initially, and only agreed after.a long discussion on the state of the harsh ride and the effect it may have on the vehicle itself, I think that a little pressure (sorry) may, result in an adjustment being made. The cost to me was nil, as the vehicle was in for a diagnostic check, under warranty, to correct a fault on the minor fault warning light.

Devils Advocate would say that a dealer who changes a safety setting against the manufacturers recommendations is on boggy ground?

Especially when acting on the instructions of a lay person.

Then to publish that dealers name on the internet?

EJB - 2017-06-03 11:50 AM

Devils Advocate would say that a dealer who changes a safety setting against the manufacturers recommendations is on boggy ground?

Especially when acting on the instructions of a lay person.

Then to publish that dealers name on the internet?

Perhaps lizken could PM Armstrong2 with details of the Peugeot agent, rather than provide the information on open forum?

I think I'm right in saying that tyre pressure monitors allow a 25% drop in pressure before they activate. You can easily check this by lowering the pressure in one tyre until the light comes on. If this proves to be the case you could drop your pressure from 5.5 to 4.5 bar and still have a reasonable margine. Just a thought.

That's a pity. I had thought a 25% margin was a requirement for TPMS.

I have a 2016 Elddis Accordo 105 which is fitted by law with TPMS and presumably set at the recommended pressures, i.e. 5 bar front and 5.5 bar rear. Given the gross weight of my van with driver and passenger is under 3000 kg and the axel weights are 200 and 600 kg below maximum loading according to the weigh bridge, theses pressures are way too high.

I fear though, that you are on a hiding to nothing to get your TPMS changed. I did a bit of research on this when I got the van and my understanding is that a good number of motor homes have been stopped, weighed and found to be overweight. This is perhaps not surprising in bigger vans where manufacturers go for maximum size while keeping within the 3500 kg limit required to be driven on a class B licence, leaving very little payload. It's even worse with 6 berth vans of this ilk.

What the experts in this field concluded was overweight vans with sufficiently high tyre pressures were far less likely to have tyre related accidents than those with insufficient pressures for the weight they're carrying. It was implied that even inflating a tyre well above its stated maximum pressure was unlikely to cause failure and it was further suggested that all motor homes should have at least 5.5 bar in their rear tyres. Unfortunately, smaller vans like ours get tarred with the same brush.

As TPMS has been made a legal requriment, it is now possible to force drivers to go with these high pressures, which it is hoped will go some way to make overweight vans less likely to suffer blowouts.

I haven't experimented with tyre pressures on the Accordo and have kept them as recommended, but I can't in all honesty say that it's a harsher ride than my old 1999 Swift Gazelle of similar weight with commercial tyres at 60 F and 65 R. Albeit it's a newer van.

Archived