Double puzzle – electrical

BruceM

On my 2003 Dethleffs i5830 (Fiat Ducato base vehicle – LHD) I have two electrical puzzles to sort out and wonder if anyone has any ideas?:

1. There is a green switch just below the gearstick bellows. It appears to be a swivel switch. I’ve managed to get an endoscope behind to look at it and can make out three red cables connected to the three spade terminals on the switch. I suspect that the switch was retrofitted and given its position I’m assuming that it’s for the driver’s use . In an attempt to avoid having to remove the facia to trace the wiring I’ve turned things on and off to see if they’re effected by the switch but I’ve drawn a blank. Anyone any thoughts on what it might be for?

2. The cab fuse box label (the one in the glove compartment) has a fuse marked top row fourth from the left (see picture) as FH 20 amp. Anyone any thoughts what ‘FH’ might stand for? Of course it could be German in which case I’m totally stumped.

Many thanks

GearBellowsSwitch_1.jpg.69460e33057aff0f5e7caf3bb666b04f.jpg

GearBellowsSwitch_2..jpg.140540bc531a8b2dd68d0db028e09275.jpg

FuseBoxLabeling.jpg.a86b43da36880aca182ccfb4ef859d6d.jpg

Does the vehicke have reversing sensors and a towbar?

Our previous IH had both when ordered and I asked for a switch to turn off the reversing sensors when we had the bikes on a towbar mounted rack as they would operate the reversing sensors continually.

David

Some great suggestions – thank you.

No reversing sensors or tow bar – though I’ll have someone check the back whilst I’m operating the switch in case it flashes lights or something.

The radio seems to be unaffected.

No fan heater that I’m aware of.

You can lift the gearlever gaiter off to see below it, which might allow you to see where the wires go to.

You can also pull the dashboard vents off by just tugging them, which might help too.

The instrument binnacle is also very easy to free up, just a couple of screws at the top rim as I recall.

Thanks for the ideas and advice.

Re the green switch:

I managed to remove the gear stick gaiter to get at the switch. It turned out that the switch was broken. Furthermore the lead to the ACC terminal had been chopped, the ground wasn’t grounded and there was no power to the positive terminal under any circumstance (eg ignition on/off, habitation on/off, inverter on/off, engine running or not etc). The switch has now been removed and the cable ends tidied. If I ever have to remove the facia I’ll trace where the remaining cables eventually lead.

I’ll turn my attention next to the yellow 20 amp fuse. I think I’ll just have to pull it and see what fails to work.

GreenSwitch.jpg.de32e51aada38dccece845e51cc5ef5a.jpg

You can now congratulate your self in getting rid of a dubious bit of wiring. I would have wanted to see a black wire for the earth connection, and a fully insulated connector on the supply lead. A cable colour change across the switch contacts would also have been a good idea. But then I have been described as fastidious!

And the prize for the correct 20 amp fuse suggestion goes to tonyishuk!

It turns out that the 20 amp fuse is for the cab’s heater fan – so FH does appear to stand for ‘Fan Heater’!

All this investigation had an additional useful spinoff. I have an Elektroblock 99 and on examination discovered that one of the primary 20 amp fuses had been replaced with a 30 amp fuse. It’s the one marked ‘Interries Landermodul’ which translates as ‘Internal Landing Module’. Any idea what it's for? The manual just marks it as ‘fuse’. I’ve put a 20 amp fuse in but if it blows I’d like to have an idea what I’m investigating.

Archived