Swap your MH for a Stereo system

swap

Seems an odd mistake to make, buying one of the worlds most expensive audiophile HiFi systems when what one really wanted was a motorhome, for which one is now embarrassed for funds! So, what's the betting the Linn is a knock-off?

Keith, I think its time for the MMM investigation team to spring into action! Where there's one knock-off, there are bound to be others! :-D

And there just happens to be an 'Ex Demonstration' system for sale on Fleabay, but NOT for £19,000!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Akudorik-System-/122535692240?hash=item1c87b247d0:g:qBcAAOSws5pZNswB

If it's only worth £11,500 then why didn't 'John Mack' ask for MH's of this price range or is he trying his luck?

Puzzled, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt for the time being!

Even more strange, assuming this is our 'Swapper', he has 2 other Linn stereos for sale, one at £999 and the other at £4,950. I'm even more puzzled now?

Keith.

swap - 2017-06-07 11:40 AM

apologies, new to the forum

John,

First let me welcome you to the forum, but I have to add that your post was rather a strange post for your first!

Please would you enlighten us as to why you want to swap an apparently brand new high end stereo for a MH? Why not have a bought a MH instead in the first place?

I think we are all intrigued (?)

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-06-07 12:08 PM

John,

First let me welcome you to the forum, but I have to add that your post was rather a strange post for your first!

Please would you enlighten us as to why you want to swap an apparently brand new high end stereo for a MH? Why not have a bought a MH instead in the first place?

Keith.

Hello Keith, thank you for your welcome.

Firstly: I am a Linn dealer and this is my personal system.

Secondly: A Linn system like this is an aspirational system, some will take a lifetime to acquire it. Now I know a motorhome forum might be short of audiophiles but I might be able to reach a few who would consider the swap. The swap would be easier to part with than hard cash, which would inevitably be earmarked for something else, likewise with me and a motorhome.

Thirdly: There maybe members who may not be able to tour anymore but cannot bring themselves to sell their van due to sentimental reasons. They may consider the swap to an equally passionate person and who knows it could be the start of a new hobby - this time an internal one.

Lastly: It's a bit of fun, besides money is sooo cold.

https://www.i-stereos.co.uk/?s=linn&post_type=product

swap - 2017-06-07 1:18 PM

A Linn system like this is an aspirational system, some will take a lifetime to acquire it. Now I know a motorhome forum might be short of audiophiles but I might be able to reach a few who would consider the swap. The swap would be easier to part with than hard cash, which would inevitably be earmarked for something else, likewise with me and a motorhome.

Nothing to do with motorhomes but I have an LP12 purchased in 1987, upgraded etc, and its still going strong!

See the 'vinyl revolution' ...... I never left vinyl .... just sounds so much better to my ears than digital. Rest of system is high end Naim.

Sorry to deflect the topic ..... :-D :-D :-D

John,

Keith.

Secondly: A Linn system like this is an aspirational system, some will take a lifetime to acquire it. Now I know a motorhome forum might be short of audiophiles but I might be able to reach a few who would consider the swap. The swap would be easier to part with than hard cash, which would inevitably be earmarked for something else, likewise with me and a motorhome.

Thirdly: There maybe members who may not be able to tour anymore but cannot bring themselves to sell their van due to sentimental reasons. They may consider the swap to an equally passionate person and who knows it could be the start of a new hobby - this time an internal one.

As Keith said A strange first post!

I understand what you would like to do. IE get a MH from maybe some one who is giving up, (as we will be shortly) BUT I do not think you are likely to get a swap, as most of us giving up. are of a certain age, and I very much doubt they would want such an item. We barely listen to the radio, as for tapes etc, well most modern sounds leave us cold!!

I guess your best bet is EBAY, but I wish you luck

PJay

Well done Keith for giving him the benefit of explaining, and not just deleting

arthur49 - 2017-06-07 3:52 PM

A Linn system like this is an aspirational system, some will take a lifetime to acquire it. Now I know a motorhome forum might be short of audiophiles but I might be able to reach a few who would consider the swap. The swap would be easier to part with than hard cash, which would inevitably be earmarked for something else, likewise with me and a motorhome.

Nothing to do with motorhomes but I have an LP12 purchased in 1987, upgraded etc, and its still going strong!

See the 'vinyl revolution' ...... I never left vinyl .... just sounds so much better to my ears than digital. Rest of system is high end Naim.

Sorry to deflect the topic ..... :-D :-D :-D

Great Deck. Linn still manufacture the LP12 prices from £3000 to a shade under £19000

PJay - 2017-06-07 4:11 PM

John,

Keith.

I understand what you would like to do. IE get a MH from maybe some one who is giving up, (as we will be shortly) BUT I do not think you are likely to get a swap, as most of us giving up. are of a certain age, and I very much doubt they would want such an item. We barely listen to the radio, as for tapes etc, well most modern sounds leave us cold!!

PJay

Hi Jay

Stereo systems are often bought twice in one's life (other than hobbyists who upgrade more regularly than that) The first is when one is young before the kids come along. Then one gets married, the kids come along and the system goes into the loft until one becomes an empty nester.

The second is when one is an empty nester. The system comes down from the loft, only to discover that it is ruined. Despite what people tell you about hearing loss, human hearing is more complex than the hearing tests suggests. Yes, one does lose the high frequencies but music is more than this. High end systems are more about midrange frequencies which poor systems fail to reproduce properly. (do you ever find yourself turning up a radio to hear the news - the reason is because it fails to reproduce midrange properly - if you have a good system you will not be doing this)

So Jay you might be right that I will not get a swap but you wrong regarding the target group. Also the silver server is very important and are the one's who are streaming music (no tapes, yes LPs) which is a growth market.

PS: A thank you nod to Keith too from me

swap - 2017-06-07 6:38 PM

PJay - 2017-06-07 4:11 PM

John,

Keith.

PJay

Hi Jay

Stereo systems are often bought twice in one's life (other than hobbyists who upgrade more regularly than that) The first is when one is young before the kids come along. Then one gets married, the kids come along and the system goes into the loft until one becomes an empty nester.

The second is when one is an empty nester. The system comes down from the loft, only to discover that it is ruined. Despite what people tell you about hearing loss, human hearing is more complex than the hearing tests suggests. Yes, one does lose the high frequencies but music is more than this. High end systems are more about midrange frequencies which poor systems fail to reproduce properly. (do you ever find yourself turning up a radio to hear the news - the reason is because it fails to reproduce midrange properly - if you have a good system you will not be doing this)

So Jay you might be right that I will not get a swap but you wrong regarding the target group. Also the silver server is very important and are the one's who are streaming music (no tapes, yes LPs) which is a growth market.

PS: A thank you nod to Keith too from me

Hi well my hearing is the opposite. I cannot hear low sounds and accents give me a problem, but when it comes to music, I have to turn the TV right down!. And we are well and truly silver surfers!1

Any way good luck in your quest. A motor home is a great way of life, grab it while you can!!

P Jay

Guest pelmetman
swap - 2017-06-06 1:56 PM

Is there anyone who would like to swap their older, good condition, motorhome for a new Linn Akudorik stero system worth £19000.00?

Looks like I could be 14k in profit :D ..........

Shame I'm more than a bit deaf and my music taste stalled at the Wombles (lol) .......

Archived