Clutch clunk after timing belt change

Dez

Hello,

Just changed the timing belt on my Fiat Ducato 2.3 (2010 model) campervan. Everything went okay (used locking pins) but now the vehicle has a distinctive 'clunk' from the gearbox when releasing the clutch pedal. Drives okay, no judders etc. Have I damaged anything during cambelt change? I had to raise/drop the engine slightly to get the cambelt cover out of the engine bay. The clunk happens just as I take my foot of the clutch pedal. Gutted, can't work out why this has happened. Clutch is hydrolic but can't trace the linkage in case I've affected that - I know if I take it to a garage they'll say "new clutch". Was okay before. Anyone had a similar problem, please help. :)

Just thinking more about this, I suppose it is possible when removing the crankshaft pulley bolt torque was placed on the clutch in reverse engine direction if you locked the engine in gear to use a breaker bar instead of an impact wrench. If you locked the flywheel and have a dual mass flywheel then its feasible the flywheel damping mechanism could be affected but it sees so much torque pulses and stress I would have thought t would cope with the bolt being undone or tightened up. Still favour the mounts are slightly out, or you have distorted a pipe of something a it is knocking into something as you release the clutch and the engine rocks a bit. Does it do it when you select reverse gear as then the engine will rock in the opposite direction?

Hi. Thanks for reply. I will listen more carefully as I go run through the gears. It also knocks in neutral as well well but is not as distinctive if I release the clutch slowly. I was thinking mounts too but wasn't sure if a mount could affect a disturbance in the gearbox.

I didn't have the van in gear when releasing the camshaft bolt - used a impact gun initially to loosen.

As mentioned, it was okay before so obviously something I've done :(

Check the bush on the rear engine mount under the back of the engine. If you put stress on that while dangling the engine with the left hand mount loose, it may have exacerbated an already worn bush.

Never seen this happen, but it could easily explain the symptoms.

All mounts seem okay. The noise is definitely coming from the gearbox - stuck my ear against it :/ Still can't get my head around what I could have done. It only clunks when I release the clutch pedal quickly - if I do it slowly, it doesn't happen?

I am assuming from previous posts that you had to remove the crank pulley to change the belt, correct?

If so then if the pulley did not fully seat back into place you may have caused excessive crank end float which could possibly be giving you the noise you are hearing?

My only suggestion would be to very carefully dismantle everything again and look for problems such as the crank pulley not fully seated.

Keith.

Edit. Or get someone to watch the crank pulley as you press and release the clutch.

Hi. The crank pulley held on by four bolts and and runs the alternator belt and air con belt. Is this what you are referring to? I din't release the crank bolt - only the camshaft bolt to tension front end of the belt. Will check crank pulley for any play. Thanks.

Thanks everyone, jeez this is annoying - may have to take it to a Fiat Pro :(

The crank pully look fine - nice and tight and watched it rotate with engine running - no disturbance. Also watched all mounts under gear change pressure and engine hardly moves. I must have somehow broke the gearbox/clutch during cambelt change but I haven't a frickin' clue how I've done this :/ The noise is coming from the far end of the gear box - just a clunk but no performance issues.

I'm not very popular with my wife either :o

Update:

Took it to a garage who said it was probably the mounts - so had them replace the relevant mounts - expensive, but I couldn't get enough torque under the van to release the bolts to do it myself. Surprise, surprise, clunk is still there :( Now they are saying that it's normal for a clutch to make that noise. Still got a clunky clutch but some shiny new gearbox/engine mounts. Process of elimination I guess. Can't afford to touch it again so will try driving with it for a while and see if it gets any worse.

Sorry to hear this after the drive train mounts renewal . There should be no clunky clutch in first gear pedal removing or reverse. That is not normal, they put a spell on you be cause of lack of experience, they can tell you anything and you have to drop off in the dark. The same as the sellers of your Van or motorhome. The clutch of a fiat ducato is a nightmare on motorhomes and their comfort- matic. Change your clutch and ask your money back.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had this happen to the older version of your van,it happened when I had a belt done in a main dealers @ 60,000 the clunk happened as we released the clutch,Fiat Ireland made 3 attempts to fix it with no luck.After 30,000 more miles I had a clutch done & the noise went,there was 90,000 on it then.

We had no issues with the van for all the time we had the noise.

Archived