Electrolux Fridge/Freezer

tillybess

Hi I have a Bessacarr 745E, I went to put the fridge on yesterday as I was going away. Unfortunately, it wouldn't come on and when I changed it from 240v to gas the ignition wouldn't wouldn't work either. I feel it could be just a fuse but which one?? the 12v fuse box is in the wardrobe but I don't know how to access the fuses and which one I would need to change, can anyone help please. I have tried to contact various mobile engineers but they don't come back to me.

Helen G

Hi

Sorry you've not had any responses from anyone regarding this matter. I'm no expert but after refitting my motorhome due to water ingress and totally rewiring it, I've become knowledgeable through trial and error. Many hours of research and like you asking for advice.

The fuse box is the right place to start, try working out how to access it. There could well be a label on the cover explaining what use is for what. They sometimes use symbols, and the one for the fridge/freezer is usually a snow flake symbol. It will more than likely be a blue fuse 15 amp. The are usually blade fuses, and if you look at the fuse from the side there is a piece of wire or metal that goes across, if it is the fuse, there will be a a break in this wire.

But as you mentioned it doesn't work on gas either, I'm a little concerned as the only electrics required for the fridge on gas would be the electronic igniter. And this is not connected to the same fuse.

Does everything else work ok in your motorhome? lights, heaters, pump etc?

And don't mean to sound patronizing but have you made sure the gas is on, on both the internal isolation valve and also on the gas bottle in the outside cupboard. Might have been switched off for storage.

Paul

The fridge on our previous M/H failed on electrics due to a faulty plastic strip connector behind it, I think with the later fridges, there is a printed circuit on top of the fridge which selects the 3 operating modes. This can cause problems.

Brian B.

tillybess - 2017-06-15 2:52 PM

Hi I have a Bessacarr 745E, I went to put the fridge on yesterday as I was going away. Unfortunately, it wouldn't come on and when I changed it from 240v to gas the ignition wouldn't wouldn't work either. I feel it could be just a fuse but which one?? the 12v fuse box is in the wardrobe but I don't know how to access the fuses and which one I would need to change, can anyone help please. I have tried to contact various mobile engineers but they don't come back to me.

Helen G

Helen

It would be helpful if you provided the year of manufacture of your Bessacarr motorhome.

On-line images of the E745 model suggest that this was built between 2002 and 2005, but it would be sensible to confirm the age of your vehicle as this could affect its electrical specification and where fuses relating its fridge/freezer are located.

Swift Group motorhome Owner and Trchnical Handbooks are accessible on-line and the Technical Handbooks often contain a wiring diagram (2004 examples in following links)

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/178/original/1053124_Bess_MH_Service_Book_2004.pdf?1472743581

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift-Group/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/036/original/1053127_MH_Owners_Hbook_2004.pdf?1472743485

The final posting of this forum thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/12V-FRIDGE-MALFUNCTION/32017/

suggests that pre-2006 Bessacarrs may have their fridge-related relays/fuses within the vehicle’s engine compartment.

Helen,

Can we go back to basics?

Firstly do other appliances requiring 12V e.g. lights work when not connected to mains?

If the answer is no, then you habitation battery may be faulty.

3 way manual, or AES (automatic energy selection) fridges require a permanent 12V control supply whenever the fridge is in use.

A second 12V supply which takes a larger current is used to provide cooling when the engine is running. Unfortunately it is this second supply which is labelled as Fridge, or perhaps by a snowflake symbol on the 12V fuseboard.

Your statement that the frdge does not work on either mains or gas, makes me suspect that the control supply may be missing, as that supply would affect both.

Derek has pointed to suggestions that the fridge fuses may be under the bonnet.

Assuming that you base vehicle is a Fiat Ducato it will be similar to my own.

On my vehicle there is a large black cover in a central position over the engine. Motorhome related fuses and relays are sometimes fitted under this cover. Look for cables that seem to have been added, coming from under the cover.

Before any dismantling, you may be able to look under the cover by using a mirror. On my vehicle the relays and fuses are elsewhere, so there is alnost an empty space under the cover.

Please be aware that they may be live connections from both vehicle, and habitation batteries under the cover.

To remove the cover you will need a 10mm spanner for two visible nuts. You may need to unclip a pipe that runs across the front of the cover.

The fuse for the fridge control supply wherever it is located, will probably be of relatively rating, say 2A to 5A.

Alan

I don't think AES Fridges were the norm back then, my Burstner certainly was not.

The Fridge Relay (to run the Fridge on 12 volts while driving) should be under the bonnet. The fuses could also be there (at the right hand side when looking in, although I cannot be sure as I had no fridge problems).

The Fridge Relay should be behind a black plastic cover which is located centrally and is just below Windscreen level. It is held in place by 2 6mm nuts.

Helen,

You do not appear to have logged on to the forum since posting your question. If you have viewed your question (and the answers given) without logging in then please do log in and answer some of the questions asked of you.

Guys, I suggest you hold off with any more questions for Helen until she answers those already asked.

Keith.

Archived