Cash for Votes

John52

Surely we need anything that will save us from the prospect of this present very left wing labour party being in power.. I cannot believe that any sensible person is falling for their manipulation of the situation, promising everything to everybody ,at the expense of the successful of course and blaming the Conservatives for everything . Just think what an absolute disaster a Labour party would be at the moment. Come on open your eyes, this is the time we should all be pulling together to make a success of Brexit and a prosperous united Brittain .

Brian B.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2017-06-28 10:14 AM

pelmetman - 2017-06-27 9:47 PM....................and the difference between the Tories forming a coalition with the liberals is? ;-) .........

£1 billion. I'd have thought you might have noticed that! :-D

Is that all? ;-) .......We'll have a extra 8 billion a year to play with once we leave the EU >:-) .........

The deal with the DUP for extra money for NI works out I believe around £3 per year over the 5 year government term ... Not a bad deal to keep out a terrorist sympathiser and his second in command who'd like to go back in time and murder Mrs Thatcher ... Nice people

thebishbus - 2017-06-28 10:27 AM

Surely we need anything that will save us from the prospect of this present very left wing labour party being in power.. I cannot believe that any sensible person is falling for their manipulation of the situation, promising everything to everybody ,at the expense of the successful of course and blaming the Conservatives for everything . Just think what an absolute disaster a Labour party would be at the moment. Come on open your eyes, this is the time we should all be pulling together to make a success of Brexit and a prosperous united Brittain .

Brian B.

I don't think this is relevant to Brexit, Brian. It is a party deciding to spend £1billion in Northern Ireland for the sole purpose of gaining an overall majority in government. That, in my opinion, is a misuse of public funds, whatever the colour of the party concerned.

thebishbus - 2017-06-28 10:27 AM

Surely we need anything that will save us from the prospect of this present very left wing labour party being in power.

Obviously you are right wing Brian so you will view anything slightly left of centre as "evil"!

I cannot believe that any sensible person is falling for their manipulation of the situation, promising everything to everybody......

Hhmm.......51% fell for the manipulation of the Brexit campaigning.......the £350m lie on a big red bus for one. I couldn't believe anyone could be so stupid to fall for that......but they did. *-)

Just think what an absolute disaster a Labour party would be at the moment. Come on open your eyes, this is the time we should all be pulling together to make a success of Brexit and a prosperous united Britain

We ceased being a "United" Kingdom on 24th June 2016. The country is completely split and divided even among families. Exuding self confidence May called a snap election (something she said she'd never do), only for her Government to call in the DUP to prop it up, costs of exiting the EU are spiralling into billions, and the clock is ticking with less than 12 months left for Alice in Wonderland to pull lots of white rabbits out of hats.....or maybe she will "run through fields of wheat".

pelmetman - 2017-06-28 12:18 PM

pelmetman - 2017-06-27 9:47 PM....................and the difference between the Tories forming a coalition with the liberals is? ;-) .........

Is that all? ;-) .......We'll have a extra 8 billion a year to play with once we leave the EU >:-) .........

Neither you nor I know what the outcome of the Brexit negotiations may be, so £8 billion a year is pure fiction. The £1 billion, however, is real and present.

No Bullitguy. I am not right or left wing I vote for the party that I think is best for the country at the time, and have voted for both parties over the years . Do you really want to see this extreme left wing Labour clique in power at the moment.?

No Brian Kirby. Brexit or no Brexit this present labour party would be disastrous for the country is the point that I am making. Do you want to see them in power now.?

Brian B.

ps Corbyn gave promises for votes and then would destroy the country.

May paid for votes to save the country.

thebishbus - 2017-06-28 2:11 PM

No Bullitguy. I am not right or left wing I vote for the party that I think is best for the country at the time, and have voted for both parties over the years . Do you really want to see this extreme left wing Labour clique in power at the moment.?

No Brian Kirby. Brexit or no Brexit this present labour party would be disastrous for the country is the point that I am making. Do you want to see them in power now.?

Brian B.

ps Corbyn gave promises for votes and then would destroy the country.

May paid for votes to save the country.

Bit hysterical, isn't it, Brian? "Destroy" the country and "save" the country. But then, you see, it seems you think only Brexit can save the country, while I'm unconvinced it will do anything of the kind.

No, I don't think Corbyn is a good choice for PM, now, or at any time. But then, I don't think May is either.

But neither do I see what that has to do with the £1 billion payment negotiated by May in return for limited parliamentary support from the DUP. Whose money is she spending to get herself a majority that is smaller than the one she had before she called the last election? Is that to be justified on the shaky ground that, assuming she survives long enough, she might (or might not - but how could we ever know in either case?) negotiate a better deal with the EU than Corbyn might?

Is this not all opinion and conjecture presented as fact? In short, fake news? Methinks thou doth protest too much! :-D

The very thought of the DUP holding sway in UK parliament is alarming. Whingeing greedy little “whatsits” they are. Have they no shame in securing for themselves such massive subsidies to be paid for by the rest of us? Do we owe them anything? How much money was expended and how many soldiers’ lives were lost propping it up during “the troubles”? Too much already I would say. Holding on to Northern Ireland as part of the UK is a now a mere vanity project in my view. Give it back to the Irish and let’s be done with it. It’s caused us nothing but grief ever since the Battle of the Boyne.

>:-)

Veronica

antony1969 - 2017-06-28 12:28 PM

The deal with the DUP for extra money for NI works out I believe around £3 per year over the 5 year government term ... Not a bad deal to keep out a terrorist sympathiser and his second in command who'd like to go back in time and murder Mrs Thatcher ... Nice people

If you are talking about Jeremy Corbyn the DUP were never going to bring a Tory Government down and give him the keys.

By starting off at £200 million a vote the Irish have outwitted our Brexit negotiators into thinking £100 million a vote is a good deal - when they could have got them for now't. Its like something out of Blackadder :-S

Violet1956 - 2017-06-28 3:48 PM

The very thought of the DUP holding sway in UK parliament is alarming. Whingeing greedy little “whatsits” they are. Have they no shame in securing for themselves such massive subsidies to be paid for by the rest of us? Do we owe them anything? How much money was expended and how many soldiers’ lives were lost propping it up during “the troubles”? Too much already I would say. Holding on to Northern Ireland as part of the UK is a now a mere vanity project in my view. Give it back to the Irish and let’s be done with it. It’s caused us nothing but grief ever since the Battle of the Boyne.

Veronica

You are quite right. Like the other parasites & Tax havens (Gibraltar etc, etc) the Government will say they have a right to choose to remain part of Britain - which they will of course because the British taxpayer is subsidising them. I can only guess the real reason is politicians like to have a bigger empire. Maybe having a bigger empire helps them strut their stuff on the world stage and to justify the absurdly over populated House of Lords / Commons / Monarchy etc etc

Veronica

Oh no, it's far longer than that, Veronica. It started in 1169, when one Dermot MacMurragh, King of Leinster, turned to the Normans (from England) for help with a little local difficulty he was having with retaining his Kingdom.

The Normans obliged, basically taking over Ireland and ceding it to Henry II, who finalised the conquest in, or shortly after, 1177. Thereafter, until Easter 1916, but not without a fair few scraps along the way, Ireland was ruled by the English, and in succession the British.

But I agree, give Ulster back to the Irish, or make it a joint protectorate of some sort, or even, in view of our apparent progress toward federalisation, grant Scotland and Wales full autonomy, and then invite Ireland to join the federal republic of Britain, with Ulster as our sovereign gift! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2017-06-28 5:00 PM

Veronica

Oh no, it's far longer than that, Veronica. It started in 1169, when one Dermot MacMurragh, King of Leinster, turned to the Normans (from England) for help with a little local difficulty he was having with retaining his Kingdom.

The Normans obliged, basically taking over Ireland and ceding it to Henry II, who finalised the conquest in, or shortly after, 1177. Thereafter, until Easter 1916, but not without a fair few scraps along the way, Ireland was ruled by the English, and in succession the British.

But I agree, give Ulster back to the Irish, or make it a joint protectorate of some sort, or even, in view of our apparent progress toward federalisation, grant Scotland and Wales full autonomy, and then invite Ireland to join the federal republic of Britain, with Ulster as our sovereign gift! :-D

I defer to your greater knowledge of history Brian.Still means it's a bloomin' thorn in our side though eh?

Veronica

thebishbus - 2017-06-28 2:11 PM

What do you see as "extreme" left wing Brian? Under Blair their politics veered too far toward right of centre and look at the path he led down with his Yankee chum which the country is still paying for today.Never did find them wmd's either did they.....just as UN weapons inspector David Kelly kept trying to tell a Government which wasn't listening as they were hell bent on war. Instead Kelly was ridiculed and thrown under a bus....his suicide still remains "unresolved".

May didn't pay for votes to "save the country" either.....she paid the DUP to bail her out from her sinking ship. She's left clinging to the DUP liferaft. As Brian K said, "whose money is she spending to get herself a majority that is smaller than the one she had before she called the last election?"

Good question......it needs answering.

Can't see what all the fuss is about.

Politicians always ' buy ' votes - one way or another.

If we give Northern Ireland a couple of billion now it probably means they won't get anything else for the next twenty years.

( Unless the winner of our next election needs some support of course ).

;-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-06-28 8:51 AM

pelmetman - 2017-06-27 9:47 PM

Would you prefer a Labour coalition with Queen Nicola? *-) ........

Jeremy Corbyn ruled that out

....and you actually believed him? 8-) .........

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

Hysterical (lol) .......

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2017-06-28 5:00 PM

and then invite Ireland to join the federal republic of Britain, with Ulster as our sovereign gift! :-D

On the the proviso we can invoice Eire for their travellers clean up bills and jail time costs :-| .......

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2017-06-28 1:19 PM

pelmetman - 2017-06-28 12:18 PM

Neither you nor I know what the outcome of the Brexit negotiations may be, so £8 billion a year is pure fiction. The £1 billion, however, is real and present.

A bit like BREXIT eh? ;-) ........

I predict a nasty fight all the way 8-) .......and that's just in Chatterbox >:-) .......

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman

Can anyone recall when the UK last voted for a seriously left wing government? ;-) .....

Did Foot win? did Kinnock win? .........You folk with sprogs at voting age need to knock some sense into your offspring before the UK ends up as a EU milche cow and migrant depository *-) ......

Not that it'll bother me much as I'll just move >:-) ......

Like it or not it is simply 'politics' and for a long time now there has been little if any morality or 'country first' attitude shown by any of the current or recent crop of shysters.  Most each and every one of them would sell out to the devil if it meant getting what they want and sod the electorate.  

Archived