Spain January: worth it?

We spent last January and February in Mallorca and frankly it wasn't worth it. Weather better than here of course but still pretty miserable. So for next year we've been looking at rallies, either Costa Blanca or Albufeira in Portugal. Is it worthwhile weather wise, i.e. Would I be in shorts or trousers and jumper? Appreciate advice from members who do it.

Albufeira - you wouldn't get me there again at any time of year ;-)

Went once and found the place awful - just the same as some of the worst British resorts on a bad day. But yes it was warmer :-D

Worst Caravan and Camping Club rally and site we've every visited, not recommended. But I guess some people like it - we definitely didn't.

henrypartridge - 2017-07-09 6:21 PM

Is there a warmer part of Spain fir that time of year?

Tenerife lol

As fesspark says you take your chance that time of year on the Costas ... but it has to be better than the UK even so .

Brian K

BKen1 - 2017-07-09 5:58 PM

henrypartridge - 2017-07-09 6:21 PM

Is there a warmer part of Spain fir that time of year?

Tenerife lol

As fesspark says you take your chance that time of year on the Costas ... but it has to be better than the UK even so .

Brian K

Last year I came across an Aire in Tenerife at a beach adjacent to Playa de las Americas when I last visited in February and there were many surfers which had camped in beachside car parks. From the plane I saw a few wildcampers. I spoke to a campervanner who told me the weather was bad from December to mid February. The ferry cost £800.

It was quite a bad winter for most of Spain and Portugal with rain, snow, ice and cold winds. That said, we were fairly fortunate as we stayed around the Rota area December/ January and enjoyed a good deal of nice weather.

For the previous five years we have ventured across various parts including Murcia, Andalusia and the algarve with varying weather patterns but still much better weather than was reported to us from back home. Yes it can be wet at times. It can be windy in places but we get to wear shorts and T shirts for much of the time - possibly to the amusement of local people who will promenade on Boxing Day or New Year's Day in overcoats, hats and scarves!

One of the benefits we find is that the moderate climate (generally) is much better for our health as we both suffer from the cold/wet winters. The good thing about the winters down there is that even when it is a dull or wet day you usually can expect the sun to come out again - here the long grey days just go on forever. Similarly, although the wind around the coastal areas can be chilly, if it is sunny it is very warm when you get out of the wind.

Worth it? Well that really does depend on your own point of view. At the moment we are happy to pay the cost of getting there and treat the whole journey there and back plus the time spent there as a three month break. The cost, of course, is offset by the saving on heating/lighting etc at home plus the Tesco points that usually get us a eurotunnel crossing.

David

Copied from duplicate thread...

mikebeaches - 2017-07-09 6:56 PM

We've been to southern Spain a few times in December, January and February, but not in the van.

I think the weather in a chunk of the western Mediterranean was generally poor last winter. I guess it's a bit like our springs in the UK - unpredictable. But my guess is that in 60% to 80% of years the winter weather is mainly fair. We've certainly been lucky enough to have plenty of shorts and t-shirt weather in January. Not necessarily hot, you understand, but there have been occasions we've worn less than shorts and t-shirts, when out of the wind!

Also, fair to say temperatures are usually a degree or so higher on mainland Spain (southern Costas) than the Balearics. Also marginally less rainfall.

We're going to Almeria in late February for a couple of weeks next year, but flying rather than taking the van.

But at the end of the day, it's all in the luck of the draw - just as at home.

We spend beginning of January to end of April every year in Spain and yes it is definitely better than uk. There will be some poor days but far outweigh the Enlish winter in regards to Sun & Climate. We will be walking, swimming & riding for modt of the 4 months and on the odd days it is poor there is always something to do. The alternative? Stay in Uk get guarenteed poor weather, cold, wet, snow, wind and spend most of your time indooors with the heating on. I know which I prefer-make new friends, have a laugh, buy wine at £1 bottle, 3 course lunch with a bottle of wine for £8 and get free entertainment every night if you want it. We also get far more exercise than we would in cold Uk for 4 months.

Take a jumper, take a waterproof and take your sunscreen-you'll need all 3 but would definitely recommend the Spainsh winter to the British one.

Hope to see you there-say hello if you do

Mike

We spend a lot of time in he Almanzora region (we have a house) and this area has the best weather in the most of Europe. It is a desert region, relatively unspoilt, and you would certainly spend a lot of you time in shorts, but as ever, as others have said, climate change is a big factor and there are no guarantees anywhere these days!

Unless you intend to stay a couple of months imo having a 2week break in the sun down around Nerja can't be beaten , I have found from mid February is really pleasant , you might get the odd day of drizzle but all in all really nice. i have always found a 3hr flight and car hire the way to go, couple that with a cosy hotel accommodation ideal for the more mature traveller. I have seen motorhomes down there trying to wild camp and honestly it looks like purgatory, far easier to explore in a hire car. Just my way of doing things of course, but as they say, age brings wisdom :-D

Wouldn't disagree Cha but, for now, we don't look forward to all that packing, getting to the airport, queueing, waiting around, delays, getting transfers to hotel, unpacking, set meal times......... The list is long. For the time being, taking life as slow or fast, move when we want to, stay when we want to is preferable - even for us oldies.

David

Archived