Haggling with a trade sale? Tips?

markek

Morning Mark,

We've looked at hundreds of vans recently in our search for our new MH and we've come to the conclusion that a dealer will have about £6,000 in a van as a typical margin, assuming that the dealer took the van in as a PX.

My local dealer has knocked off about £3,000 from most of his used stock overnight as it's coming to that time of year where sales slow down and where he inevitably wants to put some cash back in the bank.

There are loads of different circumstances that surround such deals as the one you are proposing but I would certainly be looking at paying £27,000 with a warranty included.

All the best,

Andrew

markek - 2017-07-10 10:39 AM

If the price on a used vehicle is, say, 30K - what will the seller likely accept on average? (of course it will vary, but on average)

How to go about the haggling process?

Hi

Don't forget the generic negotiation rules

1) do your research and establish what you consider its value / price should be given its condition.

2) what is its value to you....... not necessarily the same as above.

3) work out your "walk away price" i.e. The price you will not exceed come what may.

4) list any extras you may want e.g. Awning, bike rack. This can be used by asking how they can make it easy for you to buy by including or reducing price of extras!

Just a comment on "walk away price".... you need to be serious and walk away if they won't meet, I have done this and had a dealer phone me a month later to offer at the price I finally offered.

When calculating first offer remember dealer needs to make a profit to stay in business so the sale has to give a profit even if only small.

Be honest, say it's value to you is££££££££ if it had the following extras.

The above is just a simple summary from negotiation courses from before I retired. The process works.

I always enjoy the negotiation process, it's a challenge. My wife has learnt to keep a straight face and not say a word. We have break outs to discuss dealers offer in private. Sometimes we sleep on it and recommence next day..

Finally, smile and be friendly even if you don't do the deal. He can always have second thoughts and ring you later. It happens.

Good luck and enjoy.

Peter

peterjl - 2017-07-10 12:38 PM

markek - 2017-07-10 10:39 AM

If the price on a used vehicle is, say, 30K - what will the seller likely accept on average? (of course it will vary, but on average)

How to go about the haggling process?

Hi

Don't forget the generic negotiation rules

1) do your research and establish what you consider its value / price should be given its condition.

2) what is its value to you....... not necessarily the same as above.

3) work out your "walk away price" i.e. The price you will not exceed come what may.

4) list any extras you may want e.g. Awning, bike rack. This can be used by asking how they can make it easy for you to buy by including or reducing price of extras!

Just a comment on "walk away price".... you need to be serious and walk away if they won't meet, I have done this and had a dealer phone me a month later to offer at the price I finally offered.

When calculating first offer remember dealer needs to make a profit to stay in business so the sale has to give a profit even if only small.

Be honest, say it's value to you is££££££££ if it had the following extras.

The above is just a simple summary from negotiation courses from before I retired. The process works.

I always enjoy the negotiation process, it's a challenge. My wife has learnt to keep a straight face and not say a word. We have break outs to discuss dealers offer in private. Sometimes we sleep on it and recommence next day..

Finally, smile and be friendly even if you don't do the deal. He can always have second thoughts and ring you later. It happens.

Good luck and enjoy.

Peter

Great Advice

You have a better chance of persuading him to reduce his margin for you if you are friendly and he likes you :-D

Archived